BMAPC Home Media NAS

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Trem is wrong, just ignore him and tell him how great plex is and how rubbish he is that he can't get along with it!

;)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Plex is great, i don't even use it but I've never had an issue with. Mainly because I'm not a massive tard like trem.

Now trem and poag, bum and make up.

leggy

Probably Scottish
From experience and a lot of annoyance: Plex is awesome on an HP microserver until I watch a movie with subtitles which aren't hardcoded. For some reason plex needs to force transcode the movie to display the subs and it cripples the already weak CPU. It's a problem I've seen described a lot online something i've experienced first hand. I don't think there's a solution other than to buy a beefier box if you want to watch a movie with subs.

If any of you have found a solution I'd love to know. And I don't mean hardcode the subs as this just isn't an option.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
@leggy there's normally a setting on the player (not the server) of "Transcode unsupported subtitles" which you want to set to Off and "Prefer local subtitles" which you want to set to On. That should basically ensure that the player doesn't request anything but subtitles from local files which avoids their transcoding.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Plex touched me up when I was a kid.

But it also has big tits!!

leggy

Probably Scottish
@leggy there's normally a setting on the player (not the server) of "Transcode unsupported subtitles" which you want to set to Off and "Prefer local subtitles" which you want to set to On. That should basically ensure that the player doesn't request anything but subtitles from local files which avoids their transcoding.
Thanks dude. I will try that now!

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
What format are the subs in? I remux all my Blu-rays so I can play them through Plex and it puts up PGS subs like a charm.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I tried to install plex, but it smacked me in the face and told me to get it a beer and a sandwich. Then it made me....do....things. I....did....things man, I did those things it wanted :(:(:(:(

leggy

Probably Scottish
What format are the subs in? I remux all my Blu-rays so I can play them through Plex and it puts up PGS subs like a charm.

The movie I'm having issues with has muxed SRT subs. What are you using to host plex?

Krazeh

Part of the furniture
What are you playing the movie on? Seems odd the server would transcode SRT subs.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
The movie I'm having issues with has muxed SRT subs. What are you using to host plex?
The server is on Ubuntu Server 14.04 and the client is just bog standard Win 7 x64.

leggy

Probably Scottish
Sorted it. It was a nuance with Fire TV and the Plex Android App. I've set the Plex app to use XBMC as the default player (rather than the stock player) and it no longer force transcodes the files. Doesn't look like it had anything to do with the subtitle format. So my advice for anyone with a Fire TV is to sideload XBMC and use that for all you media playing needs. You can still use the Plex app as the front end with all it's nice interface goodness. You just need to set it to use an external player then choose XBMC.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Sorted it. It was a nuance with Fire TV and the Plex Android App. I've set the Plex app to use XBMC as the default player (rather than the stock player) and it no longer force transcodes the files. Doesn't look like it had anything to do with the subtitle format. So my advice for anyone with a Fire TV is to sideload XBMC and use that for all you media playing needs. You can still use the Plex app as the front end with all it's nice interface goodness. You just need to set it to use an external player then choose XBMC.

Similar problem using Plex on a Samsung Smart TV; it can't/won't handle the subtitles files at all. I thought I was going nuts because no movie I watch ever has subtitles...

Krazeh

Part of the furniture
External .srt files should be fine on a Samsung Smart TV. The inability to deal with internal subtitles is apparently a limitation of the TV, something that has been resolved with newer models.

leggy

Probably Scottish
Similar problem using Plex on a Samsung Smart TV; it can't/won't handle the subtitles files at all. I thought I was going nuts because no movie I watch ever has subtitles...
Is the samsung OS based on Android? This seems to be a limitation of the Android Plex App. Other software clients I use to access my Plex Server don't force a transcode.

Poag

m00?
Samsung TVs use Bada as a base afaik, either way they dont run on droid on the pre 2014 models.

They also have some mentally narrow codec/container requirements :(

Side question. Anyone got a Fire TV yet? Pondering one for my folks. I got a CC for my brother as he and his wife are reasonably techie, but for the olds something with a remote control seems like a better idea.....

Vae

Resident Freddy
I've got a FireTV and very happy with how it works with Plex (on my HP Microserver) and iplayer. Using Amazon Prime is also good and the voice recognition on the remote is excellent. My wife is particularly happy with it compared to XBMC on 'The Little Black Box' which I had previously. I feel Plex gives me a better user experience than XMBC, it is easier to update the library than on XBMC (XBMC used to fail to find metadata for certain films and then hung until you skipped that item. That film then never appeared in the XBMC library) and it breaks less. Streaming from Plex to my iPad or Android phone is easy compared to using a different app to stream from the library.

However there are issues:
-Voice recognition only for Amazon Prime - It won't look in Plex or any other app.
-You can't hide pay for items in Prime so it can be difficult to see what is actually free to watch. I've set a PIN to prevent accidental purchases.
- There is no customisation for the homescreen
-The Plex app is a little outdated

The Register review (and comments) is worth a read. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/11/07/review_amazon_fire_tv/

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I also have a Fire TV and it is the smoothest and quickest media player I have used so far but, I have to use Plex on it to stream from my server so I now have AIDS :(

(Plex runs ok on it and it is the easiest way to do it without fucking around and I also got the full program once when it was Amazons free app of the day, it's for the wife and kids so meh)

Obviously I feel ready to post again, @Poag I think you sort of apologised or at least realised you took me the wrong way and if @Jupitus says you are alright then thats fine by me, I stayed away to avoid any more harsh words. It's all a bit silly really.

Edit - Damn you @leggy just saw your post, does this take much fannying around chumlar? (bearing in mind the thing I hate most about Plex is it's interface, I like plain lists) -

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
I have to use Plex on it to stream from my server so I now have AIDS :(
Ha ha ha, ha ha ha, ha ha ha, ha ha ha ha ha ha, ha ha ha ha ha ha. Owned :eek:

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
I'm leaning more towards the fact that Plex is filled with AIDS now, as it refuses to handle Album Art properly, half the time it won't even display.

Seems to be much better for video than it is for music. Any other suggestions for a good DLNA solution for music? I don't really use the Plex client, just good old fashioned DLNA clients (yes mostly Sony if you had to ask - Phone, TV and PS3).

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
More details please as my album art is all there as it pisses me off when it's not

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
That or

New Trem is Trem

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
More details please as my album art is all there as it pisses me off when it's not

Basically, Album Art I can see by playing the file on the Media Server through WinAmp, doesn't seem to make it through Plex, over DLNA or if I use the Plex Web Interface to listen to music on my laptop.

leggy

Probably Scottish
Edit - Damn you @leggy just saw your post, does this take much fannying around chumlar? (bearing in mind the thing I hate most about Plex is it's interface, I like plain lists) -

It's a piece of piss mate. Took me about 10 mins and it was up and running. You can use the XBMC interface if you like but it doesn't appear on the home screen. You have to drill down about 2-3 menu items for it. Otherwise you need to fuck about a bit to remap the Fire TV Remote's home button to launch XBMC (or some other work around).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom