Home Cinema

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
Following on from my home network thread :)

I would like a surround sound system in my new house and I havent a clue where to begin. I have looked online and I am a bit overwhelmed by it all to be honest. 5.1, 6.1 etc etc

What do I need for a good system?

Cheers guys :)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
If you want to future proof yourself get a system that accepts HDMI so that you can get uncrompressed audio from hidef content.

It really depends on your budget, whether you want an all in one system, or seperates. Room size will effect your speaker choices as well.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Pop to a decent hifi store - in my experience sevenoaks are good - and get some advice. *ALWAYS* go for separates system if you want the best quality to price ratio. 5.1/6.1 etc. simply refers to the number of speakers - the .1 being the sub woofer.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I have always been happy with sevenoaks, you can always talk them down on the price too, especially if there is a richer sounds nearby selling the same stuff :) They do very good deals on ex display stuff as well.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
my main gripe with seven oaks, is that there sales peeps are crafty, you go in demo somat and go yeah i like and 90% of the time they ask you to demo somat more expensive saying it wont cost you nowt. dunno about everyone else but i end up wanting to buy the more expensive gear

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
If you want reviews then avforums.com, nothing like totally user generated reviews.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
smart ratings is open to abuse,

why the hack would a n00b fher paste a url like that?

Clown

Part of the furniture
One word; beginning with S and ending in pambot.

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
If you want reviews then avforums.com, nothing like totally user generated reviews.

Aye, check out the subforum integrated AV amplifiers & receivers. Uncompressed audio over hdmi is also important for the future....I guess it depends what kind of sources you want to feed the amp... plans for HD/blue ray - plan to/already have a HD HDMI panel ?

I would not get too exited about 6.1, 7.1 - most amps will allow you to add the extra speakers later (unless you are about to have your wall replasterd and wires sunk in) - go 5.1 first - 5 speakers with a powered subwoofer (0.1)

I would also not worry too much about having loads of hdmi sockets for switching the video of your different sources (unless you mount your tv on the wall)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
6.1 and 7.1 are really not worth it unless you have a very large room. You will not notice much over 5.1 anyway, and you will have more to spend on speakers if you are only looking at 5.1.

As for the amount of HDMI sockets, I am in a position where I have two HDMI sockets on my TV and 3 HDMI devices, I am also planning to get a 360 elite and an upscaling DVD player. So 5 devices into 2 sockets. I have bought 3 to 1 HDMI adaptor for around £30, so that will help when it arrives, but I cannot state how much easier it will be if your amp has at least 3 hdmi inputs.

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
Cheers for the advice guys

I will take it all on board and let you know what my next move is :)

Clown

Part of the furniture
Don't forget to take pictures when you're done!

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
Don't forget to take pictures when you're done!

Its a long way off that yet Clowneh mate. I still have to put plasterboard onto the stud work upstairs yet :(

Its just so I know if I need to wire at the moment whilst I have the mess. As soon as its done I shall post tho :)

Clown

Part of the furniture
This is as far as I got. I decided to get rid of my PC shit and change to AV shit.
the.beginning.png

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Is that black thing a water cooler ? You have hundreds of superhot ninja fast overclocked z80's in that tower?

Yaka

Part of the furniture
yep thats a water cooler

jesus clowneh why do you bother buying stuff only to have it gathering dust?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom