HOLY SHIT. Baby expected. SHUT. DOWN. EVERYTHING.

rynnor

Rockhound
You get the VAT you earned (charged) in the 3 months, offset the VAT you paid and then pay the VAT man the difference...in very simple terms.

Actually it depends which VAT scheme your in - for a small company that isnt buying much thats VAT'able you can actually make money...

rynnor

Rockhound
VAT has exemptions, mostly on stuff like fuel, so the poor can benefit.

There's a lot less wiggle room than you'd think.

A better system would be to remove all exemptions and give everyone the first X grand of VAT free.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
From birth to taxes, only need to finish this discussion off with some death discussion and we got life covered in one topic that no one gives a f*ck about :giggle:

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
Good for them to be honest. Will had a role model in his mum and Kate seems like a nice, caring person. As Ed said, no one is forcing you to read any stories about it. Doubt the little fucker will be living off our taxes though. Kates family are minted to start with.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
DaGaffer said:
I note you don't address the issue of a scaled-back Scandinavian style monarchy, more in keeping with our ex-world power and heading south fast status....

Really sorry but the media over here are just as bad with the royalty in Sweden....

Yoni

sayward said:
However you feel about it they are absolutely STUPID to announce it so early. I don't know what the statistics are for making it to full term but she is SO thin I wouldn't like to place any bets. They might have left it until she was actually showing something! The horror of having to tell the whole world if she lost it would be unbearable for her.

I agree but I think it was damage limitation... She had to go into hospital and decided to make an official release rather than leave it to random newspaper to break the news randomly

opticle

Part of the furniture
No one seems to have explained.. If we got rid of the royal family, why would we need a President ?

..Scouse really has started to rub off on me :unsure:

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
No one seems to have explained.. If we got rid of the royal family, why would we need a President ?

..Scouse really has started to rub off on me :unsure:

Some kind of Head of State is usually needed as an ultimate sign-off/check and balance on the Executive (e.g. Prime Minister), but there are different types of president; political appointees (US, France) and symbolic Heads (Ireland, Italy, Germany) who can be ex-politicos or simply popular personalities (although in all cases they get elected).

Yoni

Good luck to them, I really hope she goes full term. I don't really follow the royals, and can avoid most of the media over here.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
the VAT still has nothing at all to do with the profit made on an item.

Erm, it most certainly does. The less affordable your product is, the less profit you'll make. And since I've been VAT registered for about 15 years, I think I understand now how the system works.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
You don't take VAT into account when calculating profit. If you do, get a new accountant.

We are discussing how much tax is paid by a particular company anyway..

rynnor

Rockhound
You don't take VAT into account when calculating profit. If you do, get a new accountant.

We are discussing how much tax is paid by a particular company anyway..

Toms talking about elasticity of demand - unless your product is completely price inelastic (which nothing is) then an increase in price (i.e. from adding VAT) means demand is lower. If you sell less then generally your profit is less unless your marginal cost is higher than your revenue per product but thats unsustainable anyway.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Yes I know he is but I am still unsure as to how that affects VAT payments, or how VAT is ultimately passed down the line to the eventual customer.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Erm, it most certainly does. The less affordable your product is, the less profit you'll make. And since I've been VAT registered for about 15 years, I think I understand now how the system works.

I'm VAT registered too Tom. And I don't think it makes much difference to profits because everyone's in the same boat.

Yes, some customers won't be buying certain products because of VAT. However, they won't just go and buy an alternative product because that'll have VAT too.

It has an effect of less products sold, overall - but not for a specific company. It's just the "operating environment", if you like. And as I've said - it's the fairest tax.

Tilda

Seriously G? Shut up, its an awful story about a poor nurse who probably felt utterly abused by the hoax call. I hope the DJ's are happy now. I wonder how many people they've helped over their careers compared to this nurse.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Abused by the call?

More like abused by the royal reps and hospital she worked for for her mistake.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Poor girl, very sad that she didnt even speak to someone

Chilly

Balls of steel
And as I've said - it's the fairest tax.

It certainly isn't.

If VAT were the only tax, the poorest would pay the highest proportion of income and the wealthiest the slimmest.

opticle

Part of the furniture
Abused by the call?

More like abused by the royal reps and hospital she worked for for her mistake.

This. I can guarantee the managers etc. gave her so much shit and misery for this. I hope they feel guilty. The press statement from the hospital is laden with bullshit.

There is a horrible attitude in the public sector in this country that is desperate to blame and punish people, rather than accept that sometimes people make honest mistakes, that it happens no matter what you do and work together to correct them.

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
This. I can guarantee the managers etc. gave her so much shit and misery for this. I hope they feel guilty. The press statement from the hospital is laden with bullshit.

There is a horrible attitude in the public sector in this country that is desperate to blame and punish people, rather than accept that sometimes people make honest mistakes, that it happens no matter what you do and work together to correct them.

It was a private hospital but yeah I bet some people were giving her shit for this.

opticle

Part of the furniture
It was a private hospital but yeah I bet some people were giving her shit for this.

Good point. Oops :) Letting my gripes get in the way. Perhaps similar as the royal family is in some ways a public institu.. :oops:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom