Impressed Holy shit, America in forward thinking shocker

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Would love to be able to go pick some up legit. Not smoked it in years but it's a lot less harmful to society than alcohol. And if the government tax it then it's all good.

ileks

Part of the furniture
I wonder how much it costs for an ounce? Theoretically it should be dirt cheap. I bet when it's inevitably legalized over here it's taxed at like 500%.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
DMFmFkE.png

A picture of the first person to buy it legally. High already, or...?

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Would love to be able to go pick some up legit. Not smoked it in years but it's a lot less harmful to society than alcohol. And if the government tax it then it's all good.
Really? Funding schools off the back of an addictive habit? Sounds like a shitbag idea to me.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
People are way too obsessed with addictions anyway, let people have fun and make the world a tad better off it. No harm.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Yeah, what a crazy idea. The government should stop taxing tobacco while they're at it.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Yeah, what a crazy idea. The government should stop taxing tobacco while they're at it.
Maybe they should, how much of a packet of fags is taxation these days. People who are going to smoke, will smoke anyway, so basically now you get people on low incomes with expensive habits, yeah, great plan, that's going to get us all somewhere. Let's make sure that everyone, no matter who they are or what they do, is certain to end up digging themselves into a hole they can't get out of... great plans.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Let me guess, you don't smoke anything, eat any fast food, eat anything unhealthy, use any hair products or aftershaves, or even drink anything outside water/juice as you have such a hatred towards them and the kind of peoples lives ruiner they are, right? ;)

Oh and on that sarcastic note; candy(or rather sugar at all) is arguably worse then tobacco/alcohol and not at all regulated.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Everything we do has a health risk according to the amount of shit we are told everything gives you an increased chance of cancer etc. so let us do what we like. I hate that there's an overriding power that says you can't have this but you can have that. But in effect. Both can kill you

ileks

Part of the furniture
I was trying to think earlier, and I don't think I know anyone personally who would be against legalising it. Maybe my nan.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
Really? Funding schools off the back of an addictive habit? Sounds like a shitbag idea to me.

its like prostitution etc tho
its going to happen, you arent going to stop it
this way you can protect people a bit, get them help,etc.. and fund stuff off the back of it
dont see a problem tbh. making stuff illegal never works -ohai prohibition

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
It's not addictive. And funding schools with the money is a great idea, that's money that would have gone to criminals otherwise. Taxing Tobacco also doesn't force people to smoke more. I'd rather tax addictions and let the weak willed pay more than have taxes raised for something everyone has to contribute to.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Maybe they should, how much of a packet of fags is taxation these days. People who are going to smoke, will smoke anyway, so basically now you get people on low incomes with expensive habits, yeah, great plan, that's going to get us all somewhere. Let's make sure that everyone, no matter who they are or what they do, is certain to end up digging themselves into a hole they can't get out of... great plans.

So just carry on with prohibition then? Which has clearly worked sooo well. The "War On Drugs" has cost the US over 1 trillion dollars since the eighties, and for what? More people take drugs than ever, and the Americans have more people imprisoned on drug offences than any other nation on Earth (they have more people imprisoned anyway, but drugs drive the numbers), so the poor aren't exactly doing well out of current policy. Better to try something, anything else, than to continue to piss money and lives away on a failed strategy.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber

Weed is not addictive. It can be used as a crutch for people with other problems but in itself it is not addictive. Besides which Alcohol and cigarettes are addictive, I am not aware if the revenue from the sales of them is ring-fenced from education though...

Olgaline

FH is my second home
The Science of Marijuana, written by Leslie L. Iverson, a professor of pharmacology at the University of Cambridge in England
10 to 30% of regular users will develop dependency. Only about 9% will have a serious addiction

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Are you talking about old school weed or the modern psychoactive stuff?

It's THC that makes weed do what it does. It's a plant that grows in the ground (that natural selection has given us the cannabinoid receptors for) and isn't physically addictive.

If someone else is passing something else, with a different chemical nature, off as "weed" then that's a different argument entirely. But it ain't cannabis, because you don't get addicted to the active component.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
I know from first hand experience that weed isn't harmless for everyone. It would need to be highly regulated and skunk shouldn't be legal.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I know someone who used to flid out on booze, even a drop. Ban this filth. Skunk is fine, the shit they are growing now and calling skunk, not so much.

Nate

FH is my second home
I wonder what will happen to the criminals, will they just undercut or will they move on to something else?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
just had the thought that le Euroland would start selling legalweed (tm) at the same number of euros as the 'Muricans do in dollars. then people like me would get on their hind legs and complain at being fucked by the government more/again/noreacharound.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I wonder what will happen to the criminals, will they just undercut or will they move on to something else?
well a company would be forced to innovate/streamline/whatever to get their costs down or come up with a better product in order to compete. tbh I'd laugh my y-fronts off if the crims beat the government at it's own game :)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

Move on. Although that depends how its priced. The only downside in taxing harmful intoxicants (or anything in fact) is that you have to find a sweetspot; tax too little and you don't encourage people to quit/cut down, tax too much and you create a smugglers market. That's what's happened with cigarettes in Ireland; they now cost so much that its worth the smugglers' while to import them and make a decent profit, to the point where smuggled cigarettes are worth about a quarter of the market, and this ignores the legal personal importation of cigarettes (RyanAir is probably the biggest cigarette importer of all).

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Have I always smoked shite weed...because I thinks its the most goddam awful drug there is..it just makes you want to go home..as soon as I smoke it Im trying to fight the effect..give me coke anyday.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home

That's going to be the future "Organic weed", with much larger prices but "excellent for the enviroment" :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom