HMV are being very evasive about the preorders for CE now :/

Wild

One of Freddy's beloved
The way I think it's happened is:

EA have sent HMV a number of preorder boxes (call this A)

HMV have pre-sold a number of collectors editions, not all of them have been with preorder boxes. Not all pre-order box sales have also been registered as a pre-order for the collectors edition in the HMV system.

They've pulled the remaining preorder boxes from the shelves in order to hopefully make up for this disparity, but it's not definite that the number of preorders <= number of preorder boxes.

They have people with names down, a CE preorder box, turning up to collect their game (and get £10 off) - from your last email XenX it sounds like these people should be guaranteed to definitely get their CE (they're on the preorder list and they have a box). - (this number is B)
They also have a number of people turning up without CE preorder boxes but with their names down for a pre-order of a collectors edition. (this number is C)
On top of that they have an unknown number of people turning up with CE preorder boxes who haven't had their details taken down, expecting to get a CE with £10 off. (this number is D)

EA will be supplying a number of collectors editions to HMV, this will be the same as the number of preorder boxes (i.e. A)

presumably B+C is still less than A at present (though they probably don't know who is a B and who is a C...) but if you throw in D as well it's maybe not entirely clear...

With luck it'll all work out, if not the chap in that email said something will be done (I'm guessing refunds of the £10 boxes but that's far from ideal)

Just make sure your name is on your list at your local HMV and that they are reserving a copy for you. If you have any friends in the area get them to go pick it up for you (assuming the extra level of chinese whispers isn't going to add even more problems).

good post! seems to clear it up tbh . and lookin at it im guessing some stores wont be sent enough box's ... seems the ppl who will suffer are the ones that bought a pre-order box but didnt leave details with HMV. and HMV dont know how many of the "spare" boxs have to go to each store etc

guess sadly there is a lesson here :S
if wanna purchase a game .. goto a store that only sells games
if wanna buy a CD/DVD buy it online from amazon or DL from itunes etc ..
only goto HMV to buy your gift vouchers for bro's birthday .. unless he want a game (see above!) :D

Cylian

Fledgling Freddie
For the matter of codes, using SE codes with a "CE-Account".

Shouldn't be much of a problem.

The codes used for retail, aka what's in the actual box of the game, should be the same, no point to have different ones since it's the same game.

The codes for in-game items will differ, but on your WAR-Account page you just get an option to enter Cody XY, depending on this you gain an item ingame.

Same with Beta, got the right code, you're in, if not you got to wait.

So with a CE Pre-Order Box + SE you'd be missing out on the gimmicks, but not on the in-game side.

Dervish

Fledgling Freddie
See the other thread about this Cylian but I really wouldn't be sure about this. If all the people who preordered the CE from play.com did this because an SE game code could be added to a CE headstart account then people could easily cancel their CE order with play.com and just pick up an SE from anywhere else. Remember lots of people were angry because they only pre-ordered the CE on the assumption it was the only way to get open beta / headstart. Now, play.com have sent out the dvd cases with codes in and not yet charged a single penny. They are going to take your full money only when they dispatch your CE box. If people cancel then they will have a free pre-order with free open beta, free headstart, free CE pre-order ingame stuff and just the cost an SE to pay. Play.com get lots on "no sales" and a big box full of unused CE's. Unlikely? I think so.

Cylian

Fledgling Freddie
some people like those gimmicks, an Artbook, a nice looking paper box etc. That's what makes it a Collector's Edition. The extra codes are just a little sideeffect.

Besides, you shouldn't be able to get CE Pre-Order Box codes without a CE Box. But that's a screw-up on the retailer.

Dervish

Fledgling Freddie
some people like those gimmicks, an Artbook, a nice looking paper box etc. That's what makes it a Collector's Edition. The extra codes are just a little sideeffect.

Besides, you shouldn't be able to get CE Pre-Order Box codes without a CE Box. But that's a screw-up on the retailer.

I agree about collectors edition (which I really wanted) but regarding play.com it would silly of them not to have charged for the pre-order box but ONLY if an SE game code will allow a CE headstart account to continue and we still do not know this for sure. It is quite possible that when you come to enter your game code on your CE account that it will not accept your code IF it detects it as "only" an SE code. I just have a suspicion, a hunch really, that there will be a difference but no-one in authority seems to want to answer this. That alone could indicate that in fact there is no difference which might be why they are keeping quiet...?

chunk

Fledgling Freddie
It will be interesting to see what happens but I don't think they have linked the codes and you will be able to carry on using your charactors from the CE headstart using the SE version cd key.

I am sure Ian from Goa posted that they won't work so time will tell who is right.

Wildkard

Fledgling Freddie
I ordered from HMV...they didn't take my details (tbh I didnt even think anything of it at the time!). I want a CE...I want my books..I want my model!! Surely they have to honour my purchase?? Or should I go down and make a noise?

DocWolfe

Part of the furniture
I ordered from HMV...they didn't take my details (tbh I didnt even think anything of it at the time!). I want a CE...I want my books..I want my model!! Surely they have to honour my purchase?? Or should I go down and make a noise?

When I pre-ordered at HMV they took my name but nothing else... I thought they would take my address for some kind of reminder... but I guess not.

knightyc

Fledgling Freddie
cant you write to trading standards or something. you have a ce pre order box hmv should honour it. or you should get a month free or £10 off the se and a model. i mean how much does it cost to knock up a batch because hmv f*&£ked up..

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
I had originally pre-ordered from HMV, but after ordering moved home. There was no way to change delivery address and I noticed the item no longer available. I became dubious very fast as to their ability to deliver at all what I'd ordered so I simply cancelled. I realise I may have lost out on a CE which I really wanted but I didn't want to risk endless hassle trying to sort it out. I'm gutted I won't get a CE at all now but its easier to live with than HMV's possible ability to deliver the item or not.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Got a refund today for my preorder box as i stated to them that my details weren't taken down when i bought the box.

They were happy to do a refund so if anyone else is in the same boat go get a refund.

Khazrak

Fledgling Freddie
Yes, if you've got the CE pre-order box, but subsequently can't get the CE box for any reason (or just cancel it) you can still use your characters using an SE account / box instead.

However, you won't be able to use the bonus character heads, extra quests, or (CE) in-game items with the SE CD key. All CE content is locked to CE CD keys, your characters aren't locked. So just getting a CE pre-order box, cancelling it and buying the SE to save a few quid(!?) isn't going to work.

The bonus heads, quests and items also only appear on your account with a valid CE CD key, so when you first create a character, you'll just get all the 'normal' options, but once you've entered your CE key, you'll get the option to change your character head to one of the bonus ones.

(** All info from TenTon Hammer / Warhammer Alliance, and from either IainC of GOA, or Mythic themselves. **)

Anyway, I've also bought my CE pre-order box from HMV when they first came into the store. I asked the girl behind the counter if I needed to leave my details, to which she replied:

HMV: "Erm, what do you mean? Why do you need to leave your details?"
Me: "Because it's a pre-order box, not the actual game, it's coming out some time this autumn."
HMV: "Oh right... Erm, I don't know, I don't think so? No one has said anything about it to me."
Me: "Can you check please?"
HMV: <Goes off to ask another numpty behind the counter..> "No, I don't think you don't need to leave your details?"
Me: "Oh right, well I'll bring my receipt, etc. when it comes out anyway."
HMV: "Ok! Have a nice day!"

I think I'll be phoning them up and find out wtf they're doing, seems to be different at every store! I've got a copy coming from play.com, and the HMV order (one for me, one for a mate) - Thinking it'd be easier for him to collect it himself from his local store (with my receipt) he asked about the pre-orders in his local store.

They didn't even know what a Warhammer pre-order box was!

/Sigh... :twak:

Idris

Fledgling Freddie
Iain just stopped by Book of Grudges and left the following comment:

A point to remember is that HMV will have been allocated a fixed number of pre-order boxes and this fixed number will coincide with the number of actual CE boxes. Therefore they will have a matching CE for every pre-order box they sold regardless of whether or not they took your details.
Unless they were taking pre-orders without giving you a box, there should be no way that they won’t have enough CEs to cover their pre-order allocation.

- thought I'd drop it in here, since it's pretty relevant. Have to say I'm a play.com pre-orderer, so I'm a bit confused over the HMV situation also.

Khazrak

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks Idris, that's good to know. :) I'm still tempted to camp outside the store though, "just in case"... Lol. ;)

Idris

Fledgling Freddie
I think I would, honestly - I get very paranoid about things!

Javai

Fledgling Freddie
Yes, if you've got the CE pre-order box, but subsequently can't get the CE box for any reason (or just cancel it) you can still use your characters using an SE account / box instead.

Do you have a source for that information? I am sure I have read the complete opposite that if you join the CE headstart those characters will only be playable (after the grace period) if you input a CE code (but I can't find the source I read either!)

97PercentBeef

Fledgling Freddie
HMV: "Erm, what do you mean? Why do you need to leave your details?"
Me: "Because it's a pre-order box, not the actual game, it's coming out some time this autumn."
HMV: "Oh right... Erm, I don't know, I don't think so? No one has said anything about it to me."
Me: "Can you check please?"
HMV: <Goes off to ask another numpty behind the counter..> "No, I don't think you don't need to leave your details?"
Me: "Oh right, well I'll bring my receipt, etc. when it comes out anyway."
HMV: "Ok! Have a nice day!"

Oh dear. :(

Mine went:

HMV: "oh, er, it's a preorder... I'll just go get {female HMV staff member} she knows how to do these"

...she took my details, told me to come back with the reciept to claim my CE box and I left.

I think it's been luck of the draw as to who got trained at HMV; I'm just hoping the same staff member still works there when I go back...

Dervish

Fledgling Freddie

As was asked above what is your source for that info?

Khazrak

Fledgling Freddie
I'm looking for it now, give me a chance! Lol :) I know I read it on either TTH or WHA, as many people have asked the same question over fears of not getting their CE, mainly due to cock-ups by various retailers / etailers..

Unfortunately a search returned over 500 threads, so bear with me, I'll find it.

Khazrak

Fledgling Freddie
Found this: Product Key Wonderfulness? - Warhammer Forums

CE in game rewards will be available after entering your retail code and applicable to any character made during the head start once they've used the CE Code. This means your character won't be penalized by not being able to use these rewards due to you not having your key during the headstart, but will have to wait until you have your product key to use them.

Pre-Order codes are separate from Collectors Edition codes
icon_smile.gif

Hope that clarifies!

I'm sure there was a longer post than this regarding SE characters, etc. I'll keep looking.

Khazrak

Fledgling Freddie
Gah, I can't find it anywhere. :( The general consensus (going by all the other threads that I've just trawled through!) is that it should be ok. Gamestop and EBGames in the US have messed up royally with their codes, giving SE customers CE codes, CE customers SE codes, and other customers no codes at all! Similar thing seems to be happening over here too with some shops!

I can't see Mythic / GOA sorting all this out, so it makes sense that an SE retail key will be ok with a CE pre-order, as all of the in game items are the same - Rittenbach's Portable Camp, Bonus Ring, etc. - The only difference is the quests, heads, titles, etc. which are only unlockable with a CE retail key from the 18th anyway, or whenever your retail box arrives / gets collected.

I just wish I could find that blimmin post! :(

Apollyn

Fledgling Freddie
I really hope thats the case cos I would hate to start on my CE and lose 4 days of headstart cos my preorder Ce is not compatible with my SE edition codes. Hopefully will get the code entry site this week and my SE codes from EA (another worry as most ppl are getting theres from e-tailers) so I can try and put em all in and see if they work together :D

Wildkard

Fledgling Freddie
TBH I'm probably the odd one out here...but I want the model rather than the head start that you get with the CE :(

Dervish

Fledgling Freddie
Gah, I can't find it anywhere. :( The general consensus (going by all the other threads that I've just trawled through!) is that it should be ok. Gamestop and EBGames in the US have messed up royally with their codes, giving SE customers CE codes, CE customers SE codes, and other customers no codes at all! Similar thing seems to be happening over here too with some shops!

I can't see Mythic / GOA sorting all this out, so it makes sense that an SE retail key will be ok with a CE pre-order, as all of the in game items are the same - Rittenbach's Portable Camp, Bonus Ring, etc. - The only difference is the quests, heads, titles, etc. which are only unlockable with a CE retail key from the 18th anyway, or whenever your retail box arrives / gets collected.

I just wish I could find that blimmin post! :(

Yo see? Not easy is it. I have looked LOTS all over the place I cannot find a single place that definitely confirms this one way or the other. It doesn't actually bother me as such bcause I got my CE pre-order from play.com months ago but I certainly wouldn't just "go with the consensus" as this will be made up entirely of what people want to happen and what they think shoul happen not what is going to happen.

XenX

Fledgling Freddie
TBH I'm probably the odd one out here...but I want the model rather than the head start that you get with the CE :(

Your not the only one out there :) im looking forward to getting the real life stuff with the CE just as much as i am the in game stuff :)

Khazrak

Fledgling Freddie
I'm sorry I couldn't find it before, but rejoice! IainC of GOA has confirmed you WILL be able to use an SE retail box, with your CE pre-order codes! :saythat:

IainC_Goa: This is true. If you have a CE pre-order pack and for any reason don't get hold of a CE retail box, you will be able to validate your account with an SE retail key and all your pre-order bonus codes will still be valid.

Original post here.
Thread is here.

No idea what happened to the previous post I read, but hey, at least I've got it in writing this time. :p

:england:

Dudds

Fledgling Freddie
Correct me if I'm wrong but if you buy something from HMV you enter into a contract for that good, for them not to supply it would contribute as fraud or at the very least false advertisement, wouldn't it? I don't know how supply works at HMV but if it's anything like where I work, HMV.co.uk and the stores will have individual stock of the CE so the amount of online pre orders really shouldn't affect the stores supply. The problem is down to the competence of the staff unfortunately. As for reserving, I was told by the guy in Asda when i reserved GTA4 and Virgin when I reserved a spare controller and game on PS3 launch day that if you call when the item is on sale they can't refuse to reserve the stock for a minimum amount of time. If I remember rightly that time period is still several hours. Of course this all depends on the how well my bullshit protectors have been working over the last few years...:D

and that they are worried that EA (i thought it was GOA distributing) wont sent them enough copies of the CE.

AFAIK Mythic are the game developer and EA are the Publisher/Distributor

arknor

Fledgling Freddie
I'm sorry I couldn't find it before, but rejoice! IainC of GOA has confirmed you WILL be able to use an SE retail box, with your CE pre-order codes! :saythat:

Original post here.
Thread is here.

No idea what happened to the previous post I read, but hey, at least I've got it in writing this time. :p

:england:
thats not what one of the devs said the jacobs guy, he said something bad may happen

Khazrak

Fledgling Freddie
Well, it has been confirmed by IainC of GOA on 2 different forums so far. I've yet to see the post by Mark Jacobs stating otherwise. Besides, Mythic are handling the US side, and GOA are handling Europe. We already know the left hand doesn't always know what the right is doing at times!

Hang on, I'll c&p my post on Warhammer Alliance..

I think people are missing the point, everyone gets the pre-order bonus items. The ring, portable camp and head start.

Having a CE pre-order box doesn't mean you'll get the heads, the extra quests, or the extra titles, so I really wouldn't be too hasty in cancelling the collectors edition for the sake of saving a few quid!

Anyway, yes, if you use a SE retail key, and have a CE pre-order code (for the HS and OB) you WILL keep your characters, at least in Europe anyway. I did read it'd be the same in the US too, especially after the mess made by certain games retailers giving CE customers SE codes, and SE customers CE codes!

How are Mythic / GOA going to differentiate between the two? They can't. At the end of the day, if you've been given the wrong codes or pre-ordered a CE and then buy the SE, what, exactly, are you doing wrong, or getting extra, apart from maybe one day of Head Start (which is negligible anyway) and possibly access to the OB which pretty much everyone has anyway? Nothing, nada, zip.

All the extra CE content requires a CE retail key to be "unlocked" on your account come the 18th, or when ever your retail box arrives.

To be honest? I really wouldn't lose too much sleep over it.
icon_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom