hmmm :(

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
whellp, after getting loads of BSOD's trying to play some Civ V, my computer has sprung me a new one this morning:

when turning it on, I noticed that my USB keyboard failed to light up when the BIOS was running through it's thing. This always happened before, so, erm, you know, you can get into the BIOS and stuffs? What it *normally* did was initialize the keyboard for the BIOS, being able to boot from a cdrom, etc, then shut it off again and let Windoze take over.

whellp, no biggie I thought, then I spotted a little bit of text on the screen that said "Overclocking Failed!", so naturally I pressed del like a lemon before I could stop myself. This particular computer has been running the i7 CPU in it at 3GHz ever since I got it (and set it to that speed even though it's a 2.4GHz model in reality) with no particular issues.

Then Windows refused to boot claiming some horrible thing had or was happening, and dumped me into a screen in which I couldn't do anything because I had no keyboard to input commands with, but luckily the Microsofties had foreseen this because the system check mode knows about USB and suddenly I had my keyboard back. Anyway, it's done something to itself and I can now get back into windows. It's also running at 3GHz again without complaint, but the fact that my BIOS refuses to init the keyboard where it had always done so before worries me. Especially given that I tend to muck about in the BIOS from time to time.

Any thoughts? Does the keyboard have to be in a certain USB slot for BIOS init or something like that? Help welcome, I'll mention you in my will :)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Go back to standard clock speeds. You know that the difference between 2.4 and 3ghz is minimal, and having a stable system is more important. Overclocking stresses your components at the end of the day.

TdC

boo you guys are no fun :(

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
[Kryt]

New PSU mofo!

[/Kryt]

:confused:

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Write a script :eek:

Cyradix

FH is my second home
Asus mobo?
Mine does that too sometimes (the overclocking failed error)
I just saved the bios setting in overclocked state and whenever it fails I just do a restore defaults -> load settings...
Only happens once every other month or so....

TdC

I bought it as a treat for turning in my first paper :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom