High server side latency...

Garbannoch

Fledgling Freddie
Maybe one of the GMs can say a few words why the server side lag is at an all time high again (especially this weekend).
I remember times when Excalibur had a population of 3000 and there was no lag at all...

Elkie

Can't get enough of FH
Excal is having big problems with lag now when server clustering comes along (if it does) imagine the lag issues we will have as Garbannoch said the lag is horrible as it is and i think we need to look into these issues as the server lag has been at its highest ever since NF came out , wether u agree or not there was not a high amount of lag when we had the Old Frontiers and i think Mythic / Goa should take this into Consideration.

Garbannoch

Fledgling Freddie
Elkie said:
Excal is having big problems with lag now when server clustering comes along (if it does) imagine the lag issues we will have as Garbannoch said the lag is horrible as it is and i think we need to look into these issues as the server lag has been at its highest ever since NF came out , wether u agree or not there was not a high amount of lag when we had the Old Frontiers and i think Mythic / Goa should take this into Consideration.

it's the same on Prydwen btw - probably also on german/french servers but I don't play there so cannot say

Elkie

Can't get enough of FH
Garbannoch said:
it's the same on Prydwen btw - probably also on german/french servers but I don't play there so cannot say

Pryd is the worse for lag but theres no need for it mythic/goa need to look into this , this is a serious concern for all DAoC players.

Novamir

One of Freddy's beloved
it could be your excessive weight of platinum clogging up the connection!

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Generally the server has a very good response time with very low latency. The "high lag" you are talking about is presumably the spikes of 5sec+ latency that occur every so often.

This is more likely to be a problem with routing hardware than the server itself, and even more likely to be a system out of GOA's control.

This isn't official GOA info, these are just my thoughts.

Gear

Can't get enough of FH
The router causing most of the problems and is always the same according to my ping plotter is 193.251.128.222.

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
Sorry to be so negative however ....

Why would they even bother to try and fix it?

We're all still paying our monthly subs, the lag's been this bad for almost a year now with no sign of it being fixed (though it was ok for a few weeks before Catacombs came out... weird coincidence that) and we're content to just all go /gu Laaaaaaag. /gu Fucking GOA.

And so and and so forth.

The GMs even go so far as to vehemently deny there's even a problem.

A friend of mine contacted one in game who responded, seemingly dismissively I might add, with, and I do quote here by the way,
xalin said:
"Our servers are fine. If you are encountering LDs and lag you should make pingplots to discover where the problem is."

You can infer from that what you want but it seems clear to me they are content to blame your ISP rather than seriously look into this problem.

Who knows : the servers may well be fine and it may be down to a dodgy connection that we ALL (every single person in the world that plays on Pry/Exc) get routed through as they say but to ask for more pingplots when they must surely have hundreds of terabytes of data sent in by their loving customer base is just taking the piss.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
i think its fair to say that with the amount of pingplots already sent in over the last year they would have enough info to go on surely, its not even as if its an ouside company as goa and francetelecom (or whatever it is) that runs the hub are part of the same group.

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
Precisely but whenever you contact them they're contect to just say there's nothing they can do about it, or will do about it.
So what are we, the customers, meant to do? Doesn't seem like a great deal we can do.

What really gets me is they just basically ignore the fact there's a problem too. I for one would be much happier is they'd simply acknowledge the fact there is still a problem and occasionally update their news to reflect that they're aware of it and at least something is being investigated.

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
Seems fine now. Was getting bad lag spikes for about a week here. Before then it was close to perfect and seems okay again now.

Libertine

One of Freddy's beloved
14:08 GMT lag is terrible on hib/excal, lag every 5-10 seconds, its really terrible.

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
ok it was gone last night anyway :twak: And I didnt have it untill about a week ago. Lets hope they sort their shite out.

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
Unplayable. You enter combat, game stops, you're laying on the floor with the sound of 15 rounds of combat echoing out of your speakers at the same moment

It's fucked. It's been fucked for a year. It's gonna stay fucked forever.

I aren't renewing anymore I think - just on principal I'm refusing to pay for substandard service and above no information from them.

Libertine

One of Freddy's beloved
16:34 gmt, terrible lag, constant LD's. Its not my ISP as my rl friend is getting teh same lag 100 miles away on a different ISP.

Jarahl

Can't get enough of FH
06:46 PM CET - Lag is Horrible on Prydwen :( about 5 sec spikes every 5 mins >_<

shame we didnt have contact with every player that is having problems... could organize a protest or smt :p get them to not renew subs until they sort out the lag etc.... action always gets results tbh... only way they do anything is if you pose a threat to lining their pockets :p

Just all turn off your auto renew and tell goa you wont be renewing until it is sorted... they have no choice then :p

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
goashit.JPG

So hard to tell where the problem is there isn't it.... you can ignroe errors in the first 12 steps btw that's just me having a bit of packet loss but its about 5% (normal for me)

Whoever the last three steps belong to are the ones with the problem. France Internet Company or GOA - we don't care. It's that obvious to me what's going on so why isn't it fucking fixed?

Tbh.. i bet it goes something like this....

Random fat goa employee spots problem.... Random fat goa employee thinks it would be best if he catches his breath after just returning from the mars bar machine before reporting the problem to the TECH guys... 1 hour later when Random fat goa employee catches his breath he forgets and heads back to the mars bar machine....... The End

censi

Can't get enough of FH
tbh goa must piss themselves when they read some of the crap that get spouted on this forum.

i would.

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
its simple the lag is not going to go away, GoA know this, most of us know this but dont want to admit it. Opentransit wont do much unless it costs them money, welcome to the world of business where the little guy gets screwed, because its not profitable.

Its called Risk acceptance, GoA/opentransit who ever have accepted the risk that lag will be so bad that they product is unplayable. the Cost of implementing a better solution outways the benefits to THEM.

Remember GoA are a business, everything they do will be to increase there profit, they are not a charity and will not do things to help the community unless they get something out of it €€€€€€€

Welcome to the real world... yep i know its shit at times...

:m00:

Muylaetrix

Can't get enough of FH
Goa is a subdivision of wanadoo wich in turn is a subdivision of france telecom iirc.

To fix the problem, france telecom would have to completely redo the internet infrastructure in france, which has become sub-standard and clearly can`t cope with todays traffic. But as far as france telecom is concerned, their system is working perfectly and only some gamers experience occasional trouble. I doubt they will change their system as long as people can use a browser to surf the net.

If only some foreign users of a sub-sub division complain... who cares, seems to be france telecom`s attitude.

In the end, it is easier to be angry at the piza delivery boy for delivering a cold piza than it is to be angry at the state for leaving the roads broken and unrepaired.

I see no other solutions than to physically move the goa server collection to a different country... But that will not happen, lol.

censi

Can't get enough of FH
To fix the problem, france telecom would have to completely redo the internet infrastructure in france, which has become sub-standard and clearly can`t cope with todays traffic. But as far as france telecom is concerned, their system is working perfectly and only some gamers experience occasional trouble. I doubt they will change their system as long as people can use a browser to surf the net.

you can work all that out from a trace route.

This is highly likely to be a localised problem on a router or a comms line :) probably hardware related.

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
You can see exactly where the problem is above. It's the same hop, every time, every day, every night - for the last twelve months. Someone doesn't give a shit and won't fix it though.
]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom