High resistances

Elchewy

Fledgling Freddie
Hi , like to ask your opinion one something I was pondering about.

I was thinking on getting high percentage magic resistances. As I'm getting so sick and tired of getting nuked to pieces in a fraction of a second.

This is the way I'm trying to get em...

First off cap resistances in template.
Then putting up my own resistances ( I'm a 49 nurt warden )

These two combined give me a total value of 50 for body, spirit and energy anyway.
Cold , heat and matter will depend on druid in grp if any.

Now follows the question :
Should I invest a realm rank (10 points) in Avoidance of Magic or invest 15 points in Empty Mind to take the total even higher or if this just a waste of realm skill points ??

Thnx in advance.

The mega-super-ultra-gimp-warden known as Elchewy.

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
First a bit of discussion about AOM,

Points in AOM have a reduced affect on characters with capped resists. This is because AOM is a 'second pass' resistance. Lets say for example a caster does base damage of 1000 hitpoints damage in a cast. First the total of your casted,inate and item resistances are removed. So if these totalled 50% for your character the damage would be down to 500. Now AOM and other secondary resistances like croc ring ability are applied. So if you had 10% from AOM (example value only) this would absorb 10% of 500, i.e. 50. So total damage taken would be 450. From this calculation you can see that because it is a second pass calculation your effective OVERALL resistance is 55% not 60%.

What does this all mean? If you have bad resists you will get better return from investing in AOM.

If you have good resists, Then think about possibly investing in toughness instead in my opinon as you may get better bang for your buck in terms of ability to soak up damage.

Personally I think unless you have a bad template (or are working towards a good one but arent quite there, This might be likely in your case at level 49? ) I would hold back on AOM untill you are a higher RR as there are more important RAs you need. That said the low levels are cheap so could be more easily justified, think carefully before investing 10 points in it but remember realm respecs are dirt cheap these days so you can experiment :)

Elchewy

Fledgling Freddie
Thnx for reply Ballard. :cheers: :worthy:

Because of your reply I can see my template succeed.

was going for a temp with maxed overcapped con and hits combined with a max on resistances. (doesn't everybody ??)

So the points I would have invested in AoM will now go toward mostlikely toughness. So I got some more space in temp for other stuff.

Greetz,

Elchewy ( lvl 50 RR3 warden with 49 in nurt :) )

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom