High end printer advice

Damini

Part of the furniture
We're looking to buy the HP Photosmart Pro B9180 for setting up our stationary business. The question is - is it worth going for thr B9180gp? From what I understand, the gp allows you to colour synch the printer with the monitor, but wouldn't you just be able to source an ICC profile to do this for you?

Does anyone have any experience with these kinds of printers? Any opinions?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
damzor, I hear tell that they're pretty good, but you really must invest in some good quality paper. also, the colours will be less glossy than you may expect, so wise to experiment until you reach a state you're pleased with. It uses several different cmyk cartridges iirc, and they last 50~70 A3 size prints.

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
We're looking to buy the HP Photosmart Pro B9180 for setting up our stationary business. The question is - is it worth going for thr B9180gp? From what I understand, the gp allows you to colour synch the printer with the monitor, but wouldn't you just be able to source an ICC profile to do this for you?

Does anyone have any experience with these kinds of printers? Any opinions?

I think the GP comes with a hardware sensor for calibrating the monitor. You'll need some sort of hardware for calibration if you really want to match your screen and print output. Do you really need the print to be that accurate? Only you can decide!

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Do you really need the print to be that accurate? Only you can decide!

I would say yes if you are doing a professional job. You don't want to be giving people sub-standard stationary products do you?

Damini

Part of the furniture
Thanks for the responses guys. Wub you lot.

The review I read for the basic printer said it was a great printer, but to use an icc profile, so I'm assuming it's something you can add on? Unless they guy had bought the gp version, and this was what he was referring to? I can find the gp version online for £10 more on sale, but it's out of stock at the moment pretty much everywhere, and so I'm weighing up the pros and cons of going for the basic and seeing about finding an icc profile to work with it.

Would that work? Is it something you can just download and add on? Before you panic about me being the one working this, it's going to be in my brother's capabable hands, rather than my technotarded ones.

And Teedles, we're getting loads of card samples through, experimenting with them when the printer arrives, so we'll make sure we have the best possible material to work with.

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
I would say yes if you are doing a professional job. You don't want to be giving people sub-standard stationary products do you?

I don't think printing stuff on your own inkjet counts as professional, but whatever.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
And Teedles, we're getting loads of card samples through, experimenting with them when the printer arrives, so we'll make sure we have the best possible material to work with.

yeah Dams I mentioned that because you can get different papers that react differently to the inks. You prolly already know that the inks in this printer are vastly different to the inks in your average printer. They're made to do different things. Think watercolour vs housepaint!

gunner440

Hey Daddy Altman

Most of what I've read here spells amateur though. Maybe more like a heavily bottlenecked homemade setup.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Most of what I've read here spells amateur though. Maybe more like a heavily bottlenecked homemade setup.

My point is that you would want to get the best possible quality for your budget wouldn't you?

Why so negative? This is not my project. Advice has been asked for and there have now been two quite negative kind of responses which are not bad if they were constructive comments

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom