Help !

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Ive just re-installed windows on my sons pc after a virus. Now it wont connect to our router. Its a DSL router btw, made by netgear. My pc downstairs still works fine, and his was working and connected to the internet ok before the format.
Ive taken his pc downstairs to use the other cable, it still doesnt work.
What I notice is that in "view all network" connections there is in my pc a 1394 connection (with no ip address specified) and also a LAN icon, with an IP address ok.
On his there is no LAN icon, just the 1394 icon with no ip address.
I need to fix this, any help greatly recieved :D

leggy

Probably Scottish
goto

start>run>command

then type ipconfig /all

make sure the network card doesnt have a 169 IP address.

This means DHCP is borked.

(the 1394 connection is perfectly normal btw)

nath

Fledgling Freddie
The 1394 thing is a firewire lan connection. I don't think it'd cause a problem but may aswell disable it anyway. Further than that, if there's no standard LAN icon it sounds as if you've not installed your network card drivers properly. If it's onboard, there's usually drivers for them too. Press win key + pause key, go to Hardware then Device Manager (sorry, dunnoy how much of this you already know) then have a look in there for your network device. If it's installed correctly it'll be under Network Adapters. If not, it should be named under "Other Devices" - big yellow ?.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Mate I hate to admit it, but Id forgotton to install the motherboard drivers :)
Nforce 2 on that pc.
What a spaz I am :D

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
happened to me two days ago Throddy, don't fash yourself over it :)

tho I was a bit peeved that ye old XP didn't see the 3com interface on my nfarce2. it's a 3com for crying out loud :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom