BMAPC help with mobo and cpu choices

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Hi guys,

So no one had any ddr2 ram going free for me. At nearly £120 for 8gb currently (and for fairly shitty latency stuff) I think it's possibly cheaper for me to upgrade.

I've currently got a gigabyte mobo for a socket 775 c2d 2 core.

I want at least an i5 with HT or better, I don't deal with AMD CPU's unless someone can give me a good argument for dithcing intel?

I don't want to spend more than £300.

I want mobo + cpu and 8gb of ram.

Will keep current GPU, case and PSU. Will probably get a SSD as a boot drive as well.

Suggestions?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Well. The i5 line only has HT on the dual core models, so they have 4 threads altogether. None of the quad-core i5's have HT, you'll have to step up to the i7 line for 8+ thread chips. It depends what you're going to be doing with it tbh. You'll struggle to get a mobo + ram + i7 for less than 300 notes, though.

In other news I have a mATX mobo (Gigabyte H87M-HD3) + cpu (i3-4340 with retail heatsink attached) going up for sale at some point soon.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I3 will do for sub ultra settings gaming tbh, my old PC was an I3 and was fine for running skyrim on ultra - AMD 6670 (or something like that) GPU.

Last edited:

soze

I am a FH squatter
You could also check out CPU Benchmark and pick out an AMD that gets you more bang for your buck. I still believe AMD offer better value on low budget systems.

Athan

Resident Freddy
The one thing to keep in mind for CPU and gaming is that multiplayer games tend to hit them much harder. If you really only do single-player gaming then the lower spec/cheaper CPUs will be fine, but if you ever end up playing an MMO in busy areas or games like Planetside 2 you'll want as much CPU bang as your bucks can supply.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Hit up the today only stuff on Scan fella. You can get some very decent bundles but you have to wait it out.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Check out today only 7 fella, all you're after plus a drive for £303 then you can sell the drive

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Cheers, think I'll wait a while... @caLLous might be interested in your second hand shizzle...can't justify the 300 right now!

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Yessir! I haven't actually got around to trying to sell it yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom