PC Master Race Headset

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Chris King make good headsets. Personally I like the Tange Levin I've just put on my new TVT. Looks great.

;)

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
I have a Kingston HyperX headset. Isn't too hevay, comfy for long periods of time and brilliant quality. I got mine for £40 but they were down from, I think £140.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
I currently have a Roccat Kave 5.1 set and I would not recommend it. It works well enough, but is just not comfortable enough for longer gaming sessions. Before this one I had a Logitech, also 5.1, and that was too heavy.

I had a 5.1 headset before, coupled with a great soundcard, though, if i recall wasn't it a bitch to calibrate the sounds correctly? Friend of mine swears on the 2.1 Sennheisers, although they go a great deal beyond 100 £ which might be worth if you want to replace external speakers completely.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
I have a Kingston HyperX headset. Isn't too hevay, comfy for long periods of time and brilliant quality. I got mine for £40 but they were down from, I think £140.

I have the HyperX Cloud II, it's been pretty solid so far. Great for gaming and traveling.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I had a 5.1 headset before, coupled with a great soundcard, though, if i recall wasn't it a bitch to calibrate the sounds correctly? Friend of mine swears on the 2.1 Sennheisers, although they go a great deal beyond 100 £ which might be worth if you want to replace external speakers completely.
The one I mentioned sat poorly on my head. Since then I bought a steelseries siberia. That one is awesome.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
The one I mentioned sat poorly on my head. Since then I bought a steelseries siberia. That one is awesome.

My first Steelseries (it's like a Siberia 200) broke, but due to user error entirely.... I had no hesitation in getting the same as a replacement (y)

fettoken

I am a FH squatter

Right, but what's your experience with setting up the 5.1 sound on headsets nowadays? Does it usually work out of the box?

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Razer Tiamat but the mic is annoying and slips out of position too easily after a while (must be close to 2 years old). Will be looking at an upgrade myself soon.

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
Ooook, so the Sennheiser Game One arrived.

Looks / Design: 8/10
- Headset looks quite nice, but it lacks the absolute premium feel a 200 EUR headset should have. Velur covered cans and headband, they sit quite comfortably on my head. Headband arch is strong, you can feel the cans mildly pressing your head, but it's not inducing discomfort.
- Braided cable, 2m length, extra cable for phone / tablet included (mic and audio in the same jack)
- Mic arm arching can be adjusted manually, the material allows it (You can have it closer or further away from your mouth). The thing I don't like is that the arm doesn't sit parallel to the headband when in resting position, but at a slight angle. If you faff about with the headset on and off, it can catch other cables or hair strands.

Sound: 8/10 (Disclaimer, I am not an audiophile or an expert in sound matters, rather the contrary)
- Sound is good, well rounded. I haven't noticed any vibration or failure in representing highs and mediums. On the Lows side I would say my Roccat Kave did it better. Might be due to the fact the Roccat was true 5.1 headset, with dedicated woofer per ear. Tested with both Flac sound files, 320kbit MP3s and Dolby video (movie).
- Volume is medium even when maxxing everything (Note I have no amp or dedicated sound board, I'm using the Realtek ALC892 on-board). Comparing it to the Roccat, it's low volume (Roccat had included amp). Users without dedicated sound board or some sort of amplifying method beware, this headset will not blow your ears out.
- Gaming wise, I tested the set in Battlefield Bad Company 2. Decent enough, but the move from 5.1 to stereo is noticeable.

The good:
- Well shielded to interference (the Roccat was suffering a bit in this respect)
- Crisp, good sound.

The bad:
- Medium volume
- Doesn't feel like a 200 EUR headset (this might be subjective)

So there you have it. I do kinda regret my Kaves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom