PC Master Race Headset

Himse

FH is my second home
Hey all.

I was wondering if anybody was particularly clued up on gaming headsets & could give me a recommendation?

Say around £100, can go more if it's really worth the money.

Ty!

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I currently have a Roccat Kave 5.1 set and I would not recommend it. It works well enough, but is just not comfortable enough for longer gaming sessions. Before this one I had a Logitech, also 5.1, and that was too heavy.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I got a megalodon. Fairly old now but works perfectly. Was more than a ton when i bought it tho

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
I currently have a Roccat Kave 5.1 set and I would not recommend it. It works well enough, but is just not comfortable enough for longer gaming sessions. Before this one I had a Logitech, also 5.1, and that was too heavy.

I'm with the stoner on this one, Roccat Kave are very good in terms of sound and quality (mine are like 6 years old now, maybe more, still going strong), but very uncomfortable for long sessions. Esentially, the head padding leaves a lot to be desired, indenting trenches into your skull. I kinda got used to it, but one shouldn't have to.

Also, looking at their website, I see they've updated the design a bit, my pads look nothing like those, and the headset is now 335 grams in weight.

@TdC, do you pads look like this or like this?

Himse

FH is my second home
My steelseries 7h is super comfy, but the design is kinda weak, the plastic connecting the pieces together has cracked and I haven't had them that long, maybe 1y max.

I'll check out the Roccat ones, I don't particularly have long sessions anymore minus the odd Sunday.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
I got a TurtleBeach Z60. I bought it because it was all they had, however it's ok really.

Talivar

Part of the furniture
I got a Turtle Beach Elite something and find it really good

old.Osy

My steelseries 7h is super comfy, but the design is kinda weak, the plastic connecting the pieces together has cracked and I haven't had them that long, maybe 1y max.

I'll check out the Roccat ones, I don't particularly have long sessions anymore minus the odd Sunday.

Just to reinforce on the build quality - the hinges between the headband and cups are metallic inside.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Just to reinforce on the build quality - the hinges between the headband and cups are metallic inside.

I've had my Steelseries for a couple of years and it's totally fine, for the record... now sure what model it is mind...

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I have Corsair headphones, they do the job, extremely comfy and I haven't broken them yet in a year of use (they usually last about 6 months)

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I imagine you have plenty of old bits of helmet padding lying around with all your mishaps :)

Lakih

Resident Freddy
I use a pair of Creative Fatality that I inherited from an old room mate when he upgraded to something else. They are a little too stiff and press on my glasses so you get a good head ace after two, three hours. But the sound and mic is awesome.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Razer Tiamat, very comfortable and decent sound/mic but a tad expensive. Was all they had at our local Pluggin's store when my last ones broke.

Soazak

Part of the furniture
I have the Steelseries Siberia, previously I've only ever bought cheap headsets, so this is the first proper one I've bought and I love it. I can wear it for long gaming sessions without my ears feeling like shit, the sound is very clear and the noise cancelling is good enough to ensure I don't hear the Mrs when I'm on the computer.

I've had them quite a while (probably 2 years+) with no problems, though the retractable microphone is starting to wear out a little.

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Got a set of Kingston HyperX 2's less than a month ago so I can't comment on their longevity but they're absolutely stunning, especially for around £65. The audio quality is very good for films, games and music as well as conference calls and the mic, after moving to home working a few weeks ago, I've had a number of people ask me what it was I've bought due to the clarity. One issue is that there is no mute button on the attached dongle thing. I like that it works via a USB mini sound card type thing as I can switch between that and speakers without having to refresh a web page/spotify or anything and optionally, you can plug it into a jack which is handy for my new piano! You do loose a fair amount of volume when doing this though as you no longer have use of the 7.1 or volume boost but it's a nice addition.

I've also tried them with a PS4 but as it required a direct jack to the monitor, it ended up being very quiet for racing... I'd need to get an additional USB to jack extension to get the benefits of the volume again...

They're also very comfortable and although it isn't directly advertised, it blocks a large amount of external sound and you can't hear anything the wearer is listening to unless they put it to such a volume that they wouldn't be able to bear wearing them anyway. The mic is detachable, the cable is great and non-tangley, it's very comfortable for an average sized head and I could feasibly see the build quality lasting for quite a while..

For the money, I haven't come across any better but I can't profess to be an audio expert.

georgie

FH is my second home
I bought the Sennheiser PC 320 Game three years ago and they're still going. The volume control can be slightly temperamental, I sometimes need to back it off 5%ish or I only get sound in the one ear. I think that happened when my headphone cable and my chair had a disagreement.

goddammit-chair.jpg

Can wear them for hours with no head squishing, more than happy.

Himse

FH is my second home
Ty all for the nice responses, think I'm going for some Siberias.

Wanted to use them for xbox too, here comes a £25 adapter and another £10 for an adapter to make it mic & headphone slot to 1 slot :eek:

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin

Wanted to use them for xbox too, here comes a £25 adapter and another £10 for an adapter to make it mic & headphone slot to 1 slot :eek:

I have one of these;
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...eck headset&qid=1444483015&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

It has a single jack, but I bought a converter for like a quid, I was reading reviews, and it was getting 8/10 on some websites which put headsets in their hundreds in the same category.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I had that pain in the arse with my PS4, got some cheapo headphones for that in the end that plug into the pad, not ideal but does the trick, balls to paying £50+ for a second pair.

Tilda

Get a decent pair of headphones for music for like £80 and then buy a cheaper boom mic you can stick on?

Afran

Part of the furniture
I use a pair of Creative Fatality that I inherited from an old room mate when he upgraded to something else. They are a little too stiff and press on my glasses so you get a good head ace after two, three hours. But the sound and mic is awesome.
Odd, I use these too and have for years - I wear glasses too and have no issues with comfort even after very long periods of use in a sitting.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I wear glasses and it's a pretty big plus for me to have a heatset that doesn't press my glasses against my head. Hmmm....

old.Osy

Do report post usage.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
the V3 or the RAW?

I am in the market for a new headset also

i bought a stopgap cheapo logitech €10 thingy years ago and never got round to replacing them and they are now falling to bits

i guess any "real" headset will feel incredible after the tinny sound of headphones advertised as "perfect for skype and conference calls!"

old.Osy

dysfunction

FH is my second home
So the wife broke the right hinge of my Roccat Kave v1 (7 years already) on Sunday. She touched them with her elbow, slammed on the floor and i think they may have touched the metal leg of the desk. Such is life.

So, promptly ordered Sennheiser Game One Black. All giddy about it, should be here Friday.

Sennheiser GAME ONE - Gaming Headset PC, Mac, PS4 & Xbox One - Stereo ; Noise Cancelling Microphone

Let us know how they are as I'm looking for a gaming headset too...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom