Headphones for telly

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Does anyone have any recomendations for some headphones that can be used for gaming but also for the tv? Thing is, they have to have a fairly long lead, which is what is giving me the problems, I dont seem to be able to find and details on cable length for specific headsets :(

Cyradix

FH is my second home
You can always get a cable extender

This!
Just get the gaming headphones you want +

Headphone_extension_cable.jpg

throdgrain

FH is my second home
The headphones have like 5 plugs, not just one, so I'm not sure how I could use that :(

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
gaming headphones have two.... one for the mic and one for sound.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Might get a cable extender + some cheap headphones with one jack ...

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
You have surround sound ones Throddy, like the Speedlink Medusas that I have. The other plugs are for rear, mic, central and sub woofer, but they are designed to work with PC soundcards, I doubt whether any sort of TV or AV amp has the right outputs to work all of them. On the other hand one of those plugs will just be for the front speaker output, and you could just try plugging this one into the TV and see what it sounds like (on mine it is the green one, and labelled too). If it's fine then just get the extender, if it's crap then you've not lost anything, and you'll need to get a set of stereo ones instead.

RB

soze

I am a FH squatter
If you know what you are looking for try here they often list the length of the cable and they offer fantastic service.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
You have surround sound ones Throddy, like the Speedlink Medusas that I have. The other plugs are for rear, mic, central and sub woofer, but they are designed to work with PC soundcards, I doubt whether any sort of TV or AV amp has the right outputs to work all of them. On the other hand one of those plugs will just be for the front speaker output, and you could just try plugging this one into the TV and see what it sounds like (on mine it is the green one, and labelled too). If it's fine then just get the extender, if it's crap then you've not lost anything, and you'll need to get a set of stereo ones instead.

RB
Yeah I know I got surround sound headphones mate, I hoped that I could get it for the telly, but as you say in hindsight the telly probably wont be compatible :(

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Sorry to hijack this, but was there a thread a while back on wireless headphones, i want them for the TV. Been on amazon and they range for £30 to £250>.

Any recommendations

*sorry throddy......carry on*

Killswitch

FH is my second home
Sorry to hijack this, but was there a thread a while back on wireless headphones, i want them for the TV. Been on amazon and they range for £30 to £250>.

Any recommendations

*sorry throddy......carry on*

You can't go wrong with Sennheiser. I still have the ones I bought when I was a student (in 1998 or so) and they work great.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
What kind of telly? Mine has USB ports so I can use my Logitech USB headset with it. (Haven't actually tested it but reading around says that's how headsets are supported). Extension leads for USB is easy...

Edmond

http://www.whathifi.com/review/sennheiser-rs-180

These seem to get a lot of good reviews but are around the £200 mark. I suppose it depends how serious you are about your audio.

I dont mind spending £200 if i know they are worth it, if im going to get the same results by spending £45, then that will do, but i would like wireless, but i'm anal about sound quality

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I dont mind spending £200 if i know they are worth it, if im going to get the same results by spending £45, then that will do, but i would like wireless, but i'm anal about sound quality

Read this and went downstairs at work to our audio dept - Sennheiser RS180s seem rather good from a five minute play with them. €200

Edmond

Amazon are the cheapest for the RS180s, but there is a 3 - 6 month delivery on them???

Edmond

Just found another seller on Amazon for £189 delivered. Thanks for looking soze, but with the delivery cost it was over £200

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Thanks for the advice, I have some 5.1 headphones, wanted to try using them with the TV, but I didnt really want to spend another £200 when I'll probably hardly ever use it. My telly does have a USB socket, so I suppose what I wanted was a extension for my existing headphones, on reflection.

Edmond

Just charging up these babies atm that arrived today, will test them out later tonight

RS_180_ProductImage.jpg

Edmond

I have some wired Sennheiser and love them. How are you finding the wireless ones?

I dont know yet, the bloody things needed 16 hours to charge!!

They are very sexy though, and some of the reviews said the didn't fit snuggly or fell off easily. I was jumping around like a loon with them on and they didnt budge, very comfortable too, but i will know more when i have had them on for a few hours

I will go for a reschedule test tonight, 5 hours and counting

Edmond

Using them now, they're great, amazing sound. Some of the negative reviews on Amazon said they were difficult to associate with the base station and that they didnt stay on the head very well.

I plugged them in, turned them on and they connected perfectly, no problem. They go very loud without distortion too, although it'll be interesting to see how they perform when the battries need charging, but i plan to keep them on the charger, so they shouldn't die

soze

I am a FH squatter
Using them now, they're great, amazing sound. Some of the negative reviews on Amazon said they were difficult to associate with the base station and that they didnt stay on the head very well.

I plugged them in, turned them on and they connected perfectly, no problem. They go very loud without distortion too, although it'll be interesting to see how they perform when the battries need charging, but i plan to keep them on the charger, so they shouldn't die
So Ed how are these 5 months on? I am thinking of asking for some TV headphones for Christmas and these seem to have some great reviews.

Edmond

So Ed how are these 5 months on? I am thinking of asking for some TV headphones for Christmas and these seem to have some great reviews.
Sorry, only just seen this. They're very good, not uncomfortable, easy to set up. A lot of the reviews were moaning about the setting up of the wifi connection, but I found they were literally plug and play

I did get a bit of background hiss when there were quiet spots, but realised this was when there was no broadcast, i,e, when I'm streaming shows from the PC or watching a BDD and its in between files or jumping chapters

Battery life is good too, but I've not actually watched something for 8 hours to see if they go dead or not. They took a while to get the balance between their own volume and the tv volume, but that's probably different for everyone depending on the tv you have and you own preferences

Been using them in the bedroom so I can turn it up and not piss the neighbours off ( all though that never seems to stop them doing the same to me)

All in all, very happy with them

soze

I am a FH squatter
I got these for Christmas and they are very comfortable and offer good sound while still letting me hear the door bell. I just wish I had done a bit of research first. It turns out that despite having RCA out ports they do exactly nothing on my tv. Other models have an option for digital and analogue out. Mine just has an option for internal or external which is optical out. And another TV I tried it on does not pass any HDMI audio out over RCA or 3.5mil but that's a Sony so I am hoping mine will be fine. I have ordered a optical to RCA converter from Amazon for £20 that should be here tomorrow but I am kicking myself that I did not look into it more originally.

Edmond

I just have mine plugged into the headphone socket

soze

I am a FH squatter
Headphone socket on my TV is right in the middle at the back so I have to take it off the wall to get to it. So when i don't want to use the headphones I would need to take it off the wall so i can't do that as I cant switch between headphones and internal speakers in the menu.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom