HDDs on eBay

xane

Fledgling Freddie
In my search for cheap low volume HDDs I've been tempted to turn to eBay and such, but considering they are the most accident prone, I've been wary of damaged goods.

Anyone else had experience buying HDDs from an auction site ?

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I've not specifically bought from an auction website, but just to share a problem I had with an HDD i owned. It was a Maxtor 20 Gb drive with a three year warranty which packed in one month after the warranty expired (very slow performance, click of death etc).

You also don't really know if the drive has been sitting in someones server spinning day and night for the past x ammount of years.

My advice would be to buy a reputable new drive with a warranty. You can pickup an ATA133, 40 Gb Maxtor drive (low volume?) for £35 inc vat.

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...n=c2hvd3N1YmNhdGVnb3J5X3BhZ2U=&subcat_uid=376

Edit: i've noticed there is a Maxtor 20Gb, 5400 rpm on ebay at current bid £20. Why bother when you can have double the capacity & 7200 rpm for £35 and comeback on it if it's goosed.

G

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Big G said:
i've noticed there is a Maxtor 20Gb, 5400 rpm on ebay at current bid £20. Why bother when you can have double the capacity & 7200 rpm for £35 and comeback on it if it's goosed.

These are the comments I need, personally I wouldn't succumb to a £1/Gb price in any case.

Even 20Gb is not "low volume", I am talking about sub 12Gb, even right down to 2Gb drives, if I can pick them up for a few £s then I'd like to know if I'll be getting working models or expensive shiny housebricks.

P.S. I have actually ordered one of those eBuyer drives already :) I have found Maxtor to be reliable in the past, but £35 is still too much for what I am expecting, I just don't _need_ 40Gb !

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Ok fair enough, you never specified a price or what you considered to be low volume drive. Low volume to me is anything 20 Gb and under.

You pay your money and take your chances then.

If you can wait a few weeks, I'm away to replace the disk in my spare PC (which is a 6Gb ATA33 Western Digital) which you can have for £5 or thereabouts. I must stress, it's a shit and slow drive and about as much use to me as a deaf sound engineer.

G

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
xane said:
In my search for cheap low volume HDDs I've been tempted to turn to eBay and such, but considering they are the most accident prone, I've been wary of damaged goods.

Xane,

Ive had SCSI drives (10krpm fujitsu) from ebay before, and never had any problems. Ive actually had loads of PC kit from there, and Ive only ever had 1 thing faulty.

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
xane said:

Bit the same as Willer
I had an old external scsi tower i wanted to fill, so i got a few 9GB ,scsi drives from ebay, all cost me about 25 euro. had no problem with them

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
xane said:

Camaxena, I have some low volume SCSI stuff that I would be more than happy to *give* you (sans postage). If you want me to do an inventory do let me know - iirc it's a 2gb, 1gb and 512mb drive.

Covenant

Can't get enough of FH
xane said:
These are the comments I need, personally I wouldn't succumb to a £1/Gb price in any case.

Even 20Gb is not "low volume", I am talking about sub 12Gb, even right down to 2Gb drives, if I can pick them up for a few £s then I'd like to know if I'll be getting working models or expensive shiny housebricks.

P.S. I have actually ordered one of those eBuyer drives already :) I have found Maxtor to be reliable in the past, but £35 is still too much for what I am expecting, I just don't _need_ 40Gb !

Got a 4Gb and 8Gb IDE, 3x 9Gb SCSI - you can HAVE them, if you pay my postage.

PM me if you want them.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
I may well be interested in the IDE drives :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom