Confused HDD issues.

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
I have a 350Gb 2.5" HDD taken from a dead laptop. Suddenly stopped showing up on my computer. Nothing in My Computer, nothing in Disk Management and nothing in P.O.S.T. It's SATA so I tried swapping ports and cables but nothing doing. Now you'd think the drive was dead but it works in my docking station. I can't think of a reason why it woudn't show up when plugged directly into my mainboard but would in a dock.

Anyone?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Do other drives work in the ports you tried it in on the motherboard? Have you tried other power cables as well as data?

Access Denied

Yep, tried everything I can think of. Unplugged another drive and plugged the data cable into this one. Nada. Don't get it.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
What about power? Does it spin up when it's plugged into the motherboard for data and PSU for power?

If it works in the dock, I'd say make an image from the drive, slam the image onto another HDD and use the 350GB as a data drive in the dock.

Access Denied

I only have movies on there anyway so it's not an issue to use it in the dock. Just wondered if anyone could think why it wouldn't work. Spins up just fine when plugged into the PSU.

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
I have a 350Gb 2.5" HDD taken from a dead laptop. Suddenly stopped showing up on my computer. Nothing in My Computer, nothing in Disk Management and nothing in P.O.S.T. It's SATA so I tried swapping ports and cables but nothing doing. Now you'd think the drive was dead but it works in my docking station. I can't think of a reason why it woudn't show up when plugged directly into my mainboard but would in a dock.

Anyone?

Windows 7? If so goto start -> computer and rightclick it. Then select Manage and look for something with disk management (all in Dutch for me so not sure about the names). It should be listed there. You might have to click on it and initialize it first to be able to format it.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Please don't do any of that until you have backed up what's on it (if you care about the data).

It shouldn't even be that, if it works fine with the dock (which I presume is connecting through USB) then it should be recognised fine plugged into a SATA port.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
had this happen to me some times mostly ith olden lappys/pcs your pc is prolly set to ahci in bios set it to ide and it should work

Access Denied

Windows 7? If so goto start -> computer and rightclick it. Then select Manage and look for something with disk management (all in Dutch for me so not sure about the names). It should be listed there. You might have to click on it and initialize it first to be able to format it.

Anyone?

wolfeeh

One of Freddy's beloved
I'm not clear; does the port on the mobo work for any other drive, other than the one in question (which works in the docking station)?

Access Denied

OF ALL THE FUCKING THINGS!! It was the Molex to SATA power adapter. When I push it into the Molex on the PSU the positive pin gets pushed into the housing so it can't make a connection. Was working intermittently before which is why I thought it was a software issue or something. Changed the adapter and voila! Cheers guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom