Have GOA made a public boo-boo?

B

Belsameth

kaod, I read some of your post, and I think you're raising some valid concerns.
I can only suggest that, as a sign of protest, terminate your account, burn your DAoC cd's, and mot importantly, never post here again.
that'll teach him to not mess with the english speaking part ofd the comunity ever again

A

Addlcove

Originally posted by Belsameth
I can only suggest that, as a sign of protest, terminate your account, burn your DAoC cd's, and mot importantly, never post here again.
that'll teach him to not mess with the english speaking part ofd the comunity ever again

I love you belsameth.

O

old.m0000

Originally posted by JoxerTheMighty
Noaim, it seems to me that you are mixing up game and rl again, mate. I dont think the developers chose skandinavian mythology, english history or irish tales to attract Skandinavians and English/Irish folks. I think the writers chose those realms because it suited their purposes. They all prolly sat around a table drinking some coffee and the most promising ideas were taken in the end.

Besides....do you really wanna know why there are german and french servers? Because the german and french gaming market is pretty strong. Look at the statistics....most german/french servers are crowded while the english ones still dont reach their maximum capacity during the best hours. GOA would probably have brought another english server up already, IF there was the market and they could be assured that it would pay off.
And the reason of french people playing on the french servers (and germans on the german servers) is simple: Because its there and because its more comfortable playing in your mother language. As I said before, the french and german market are pretty strong and the fact that those servers are also the most crowded ones in europe (although probably only the french and germans play there) means that GOA made a good financial business decision - releasing french and german servers.

Now you could oc say: patch up the english community sooner cause the patch is already available in that language. But do you know what that would mean? The mayority of french/german players who can speak english would move to the english servers. And the rest? Well, I think some of them would just take that pill and wait but most of the others would protest against that decision and maybe even leave the game cause of it.
I dont think that GOA is willing to take that chance...not if it means angering most of their european customers..and face it: the mayority of those customers are french/german people.

the stupid thing is the only reason there arn't more people playing the UK servers is that it was not advertised over here. the original game was not advertised at all - wheras in france and germany it was trumpeted all around because of it's "fully localised in the local language" status. SI only had 1 full page advert in 1 edition of pcgamer - better than nothing except they made it look shit and had the words "fully localised in french" at the bottom so anyone reading would think "fuck that im not playing in french" etc.. The reasons that the uk servers are low population is basicly cuz the only people who knew about it were people who played beta and their friends and people they've told since then - if there was even 1 tv advert or a couple of billboards in london for the game when it first came out there would have been a HUGH response.

N

Nichneven

:ROFLMAO:

/em spits coffee all over her laptop

D

Driwen

Originally posted by old.m0000
the stupid thing is the only reason there arn't more people playing the UK servers is that it was not advertised over here. the original game was not advertised at all - wheras in france and germany it was trumpeted all around because of it's "fully localised in the local language" status. SI only had 1 full page advert in 1 edition of pcgamer - better than nothing except they made it look shit and had the words "fully localised in french" at the bottom so anyone reading would think "fuck that im not playing in french" etc.. The reasons that the uk servers are low population is basicly cuz the only people who knew about it were people who played beta and their friends and people they've told since then - if there was even 1 tv advert or a couple of billboards in london for the game when it first came out there would have been a HUGH response.

there is another reason, if french people want to play in their own language (which apparently they do). They need to play with goa, however UK people can play on mythics own server. Besides that they might have been there before goa started, so they already had a char there when goa opened its servers and would be to much hassle for them to come here.
But lack of commercials might be it aswell, allthough I havent seen much commercials about games here in netherlands (except for pc magazines maybe) and still most games get reasonable sold. But advertising never hurts :).

Z

Zanato

Hang on let me get this straight, The reason we have to wait 2-3 months on average for patches is because of the translation right?

Also the sole reason we have to wait (The english servers) is because GOA don't wan't to anger the Europeans (I say Europeans because I don't really count U.K as european except when it suits the government which usually involves signing away our right to govern our own country but anyway) well the only thing I can say to that is BS.

Why should the Europeans get annoyed simply because we get something before them, It is already in our native language and we do pay for THEM to have it translated so why shouldn't we have it first.
Granted some Europeans would come to our servers and if they have taken the time to learn English then why should they not enjoy the right to.
The real situation would be they would wine on their equivalent to BW about how they get a raw deal because the English servers get patches first etc. Nobody would leave because of it and how many established players would leave and roll out a new char simply to play the patches first, very few relatively speaking.

If the English servers had been run by an English company we would get the patches first and the Europeans would have to wait and watch us playing with the patches because the two sets of servers would not be interlinked at all, the situation has only arisen because we English players pay for translations so our European friends can have more servers and we have to wait for patches already in our language,But hey wait for Dragon empires and then the Europeans can get a taste of what we have been experiencing.

K

kaod

So what exactly was it that you disagreed with in (what you read of) the original post?

N

ning

Camelot Vault: Although the bulk of players are still playing on your own North American servers, nearly as many people can be found playing in Europe as North America at peak hours. What do you think of this trend?

Matt Firor: It's great! We are impressed with GOA, our partner in France/Germany/UK. They are building a strong Camelot community there, and are doing a great job in marketing the game as well as keeping it stable and running. It was always part of Mythic's plan to expand overseas as quickly as possible, and it's great to see that coming to fruition so soon.
Matt Firor (Producer)
http://camelotvault.ign.com/interviews/mattf0103.shtml

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom