has music evolved for the worst?

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
so im sat here listening to ocean colour scene and a bit of spin doctors and yesterday i fancied some U2. GOT A PROBLEM WITH THAT? good.

all we here these days is generic bass lines with a black guy singing about how he shot his homie in the ass because he took his bitch when he went to jail. why has music come to this?

weve always had shit you cant take seriously but was still good, like wizard for example. but what about these two stupid bints off big brother who are re-releasing barbie girl? firstly i cant comprehend why theyd even want to sing it and secondly WHY would someone willingly listen to that?

what happend to people being musicians, being able to play the guitar or knock out an exciting drum solo? i still respect synthesised music of old days, like faithless (though to be fair to them, they use instruments when its a live show) or snap with rythm is a dancer. sure they arnt using a classical instrument but they create a sound which draws you in.

as it is, respectable music as we know it is being kept going by people like james blunt and damian rice. i could be missing people though.

Aesgir

Loyal Freddie
Well like you say, some artists are still making good music. I think its fair to say the record industry has devolved, rather than music itself. The garbage that infests the charts is there because the record companies promote it and release this crap.

I do like a bit of 90's dance, but it must also said that my music was incomprehensible to those older than me. I think its something that happens every generation, the new stuff sounds like manufactured crap.
The only difference now being of course, that it really is :)

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
all we here these days is generic bass lines with a black guy singing about how he shot his homie in the ass because he took his bitch when he went to jail. why has music come to this?

I only hear a bit of that kinda music on radio 1, there are loads of British Indie bands being played as there always have been, some do suck but face it your getting old and grumpy so hear thumping bass lines with blow me homie lyrics regardless.

:p

Current uk top 40 can be found here,

BBC - Radio 1 - Chart Show - The UK Top 40 Singles

not all are tunes you described, bloody oldies :p

tris-

i like a phat bass line as much as the next wigga, but i have never wanted to hear about how someone shot his homie or w/e.

it was good when DMX/tu pac/BIG/ludacris etc did it, now its just shit as every song sounds the same. why arnt we telling bitches to move out of our way anymore?

the british indie bands are shit im afraid. after razorlight and kaiser chiefs everyone else is just crap.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Well, like you're comment on the generic music "bassline+kill ganstas lyrics", the comment in itself is generic.

There's lots of music out there, that's not like that.

There's lots of music that's not crap.

Now-a-days, it's the music the young ones like(mostly). Like it was with spin doctors and such when we were young.

The media shows what the young want, the old ones listen to either the old stuff, or the new stuff that is to their taste.

These days, there's just more, the amount of good music hasn't gone down though.

tris-

so why not give air time to these good tunes instead of the shit ones? i listen to the radio and thats the only way i know whats what.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
so why not give air time to these good tunes instead of the shit ones? i listen to the radio and thats the only way i know whats what.

Thought i said it, let me rephrase.

The media plays the tunes that the young ones of today find good.

eksdee

FH is my second home
if you listen to the radio, why do you expect it to be any better? if you're so concerned with hearing good music, get out there and find stuff you like to buy and listen to. every single genre and time period of music has it's good bits and bad bits, you just have to sift through the crap... and not listening to the radio would be a good start if you don't enjoy what is broadcast.

kivik

Part of the furniture
What aksdee said. Oh and check out Immortal Technique, you might not like the 'joor conspiracies', but damn, he knows what hiphop/rap is about.

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
Internet radio, savior of decent music, bane of kiddie boppers.

It's the win don't ya know. :)

tris-

i agree. last time i listened to radio 2 they had things on like everything but the girl.

cog

Can't get enough of FH
Whenever I listen to the radio now its pretty much always Kerrang. More betterness on there (for me anyway)!

Well, that or radio 4 :(

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Put simply there is ALOT more music, which is easier to get and more readily available seeing as most music has always been crappy, there is alot more crap available :p i doubt the ratio of good:bad has changed much at all

Azurus

Can't get enough of FH
Tris pick up Mark Knopflers new album Kill to Get Crimson (then after realising how awesome he is go and pick up the rest of his albums), that was only released 17 September so quite recent ;)

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
The radio doesn't play alot of the stuff that's seen on TV. Got a few net stations I stick on once a year or so.. Metal Radio :D

dub

One of Freddy's beloved
have to agree with chronic in general.

thou id be hard pressed to mention anything made after 1979 that is worth listening too , but its just a fluke and things will get better :)

pikeh

Resident Freddy
james fucking blunt.

are you kidding?

/edit you can find good music if you look past the charts and whats played on radio 1 or whatever
ye ye its mostly shit stuff that gets played a lot
but if i can walk down the street with some obscure prog metal/metalcore/nintendocore/screamo blasting into my ears when no one else can hear it then im happy!

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Look at the bands in the past year who have been huge.

Most of them are overrated cobblers, biggest culprits are Artic Monkeys, The Kooks, Muse and The Gossip. It sounds the same, yet because those scene people, who jump from music scene to msuic scene, depending on what dress Kate Moss is wearing etc, they still make lots of money. One or two songs that are catchy (Good on the Dnce Floor, Standing in the Way of Control) define the rest of the charts. Its not the music that catches people, its just the clever lyrics (such as Scummy Man) who appeal to the lovesick teenagers that got annoyed when Busted split :p

Thank god the Foo Fighters are back to top form, some of their new stuff blew me away.

I hate the new "indie"(face it True indie ended in 1998), heading by that cock Pete Doherty. He is crap, yet because so many scene fans love his music (god knows why, its awful), he is revered as a Rock and Roll god by the press.

I can sit back and laugh at the so calle "indie" kids who think they are independant from the mainstream, yet everyone listens to the same bands, wear the same clothes etc. Im a metalhead, to the end, so I will always be far out of the mainstream!

cog

Can't get enough of FH
Its based in brummyland so I guess the broadcast area is like leicester, coventry, wolves and such. They play a fair bit of good stuff but also a fair amount of complete bobbins. Although tbh im quite happy to sit and listen to the tolerable cobblers too, its not as though hearing fallout boy gives me an aneurism. Having said that I dont really listen to that much radio anyway, I prefer to just listen to what I have/find myself. Also Kerrang dont play ska :(

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
i agree. last time i listened to radio 2 they had things on like everything but the girl.

Tris, that just confirms you are getting older and wiser, I think you just have to accept that times change around us and we do end up sounding like the people we used to hate. :p

I don't like the stuff on radio 1 a huge amount but it's not so bad that I refuse to listen to it, I would much rather listen to other music but hey, I have 100gigs of mp3's and a cd burner, what do we need radio for? ;)

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
some metal is still good

Most of the metal I listen to these days doesn't even come from England.

Mainly scandinavian and a fair bit of American.

The UKs become too far obsessed with image now, if you don't fit into "Indie" "Emo" or "Chav" then you're a nobody apparently.

Since that's the case, i'd rather be a nobody and listen to my metal. :D

Also someone needs to teach emo kids that thrashing your arms about and actually trying to punch people in mosh Pits will do nothing else but make everyone turn on you.

I see an example of that every week on fridays, it's rather funny actually, some emo kid had to be carried out because he smacked this big skin head guy in the face, so he just brought his knuckles straight down onto his head.

Emo kid basically goes K.O x_x sort of thing, was funny.

It's also funny watching a mosh pit kick off when indie kids walk into the room, their expressions are that of disgust and "oh, how crude" sort of thing then seeing about 4/5 people get flung out of the mosh pit and take them out.

I see these events on a regular basis, each time it gets more and more funny!

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
The UKs become too far obsessed with image now, if you don't fit into "Indie" "Emo" or "Chav" then you're a nobody apparently.

Since that's the case, i'd rather be a nobody and listen to my metal. :D

It's also funny watching a mosh pit kick off when indie kids walk into the room, their expressions are that of disgust and "oh, how crude" sort of thing then seeing about 4/5 people get flung out of the mosh pit and take them out.

Yeah, I love that. It's what you listen to/what you wear that defines who you are. That's great. Love the chavs that listen to emo music, they're defined as "Chemo" now :D

My music taste is too fucked up... Only thing that would fit with me is Metaller/Industrialist. o_O

Killing indie kids is fun :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom