News Harriers gone, Tornado's next?

soze

I am a FH squatter
Just read that we sold 72 Harriers to the US Marines for $110m which will extend the life of their jets by 15 years. That's a great deal for the yanks and the sceptic in me says this deal was agreed before we decided to scrap them.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
We might have lost our harriers & tornados, buy we still have Colin - our most trusted, fearless, and powerful of weapons:

2hwctie.jpg

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Our greatest weapon IS America though, let's face it, we're gonna arselick them for now and for ever anyway. So we don't even need a defence.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
you think America will help us give a feck if Argentina invades the Falklands again?

soze

I am a FH squatter
Seemingly unless they borrow equipment they don't stand a chance anyway. If they send ships and look to do a ground invasion we can fuck them up with the subs. If they send planes ours are better or they could just get out the way and let the SAMs take care of them.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
You're assuming that someone somewhere won't succeed in getting rid of Trident next, that Technology = Superiority & that they couldn't hit the side of a bus.

America will only help anyone for a price, the usual price in my humble opinion is Oil (resources), simple as.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
i dont know the technicalities of it.. but surely the french are required by the "swap aircraft carriers" stuff to assist us if the argys get all grumpy again?
could be amusing, seeing as they were using french made missiles last time

Mabs

You're assuming that someone somewhere won't succeed in getting rid of Trident next, that Technology = Superiority & that they couldn't hit the side of a bus.

trident was chosen as it was the cheapest option at the time though, much more so than an RAF based response system, whether it still is is up for grabs, but scrapping = not possible, and replace + retrain > maintaing it, afaik . ( i was reading up on that recently due to a relative being partially responsible for it :p)

soze

I am a FH squatter
As we are building 5 of the astute class subs already would developing Tomahawk Nukes not be the way forward? Rather than keeping a whole different class of subs alive just for Nukes.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
manned fighter jets have had their day, it'll be nothing but drones and tomahawks.
it's not going to happen overnight, but the steady creep of change will see them off, i can see the US just keeping the big carriers for show, small drones will be able to outfly any manned craft and the carriers are slowly becoming sitting ducks to nexr-gen missiles.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
manned fighter jets have had their day, it'll be nothing but drones and tomahawks.
it's not going to happen overnight, but the steady creep of change will see them off, i can see the US just keeping the big carriers for show, small drones will be able to outfly any manned craft and the carriers are slowly becoming sitting ducks to nexr-gen missiles.
Not fucking likely, signal jammers will doubtless be the counter to that. It's all about just playing the pieces you have whilst they are better than what the other guy has.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Yeah the day a predator is hacked and used to attack Americans will set armed drones back years.

Job

True enough, but nothing new in war, we are always finding ourselves being shot at with our own weapons.
I guess very high order AI will be required to take over if they are jammed.
The benefits well outweigh the risks though, at least you can't torture a drone.

rynnor

Rockhound
Iran has already figured out how to jam the drones control frequency which is how they managed to capture an intact US Drone.

Job

Christian Science Monitor
published an interview with an
Iranian engineer
who claims that Iran managed to jam the drone’s communication links to American operators by forcing it to shift into autopilot mode. With its communications down, the drone allegedly kicked into autopilot mode, relying on GPS to fly back to base in Afghanistan. With the GPS autopilot on, the engineer claims Iran spoofed the drone’s GPS system with false coordinates, fooling it into thinking it was close to home and landing into Iran’s clutches.
It’s possible to spoof unencrypted civilian GPS systems. But military GPS receivers, such as the one likely installed on the missing drone, use the encrypted P(Y)-code to communicate with satellites. The notion that Iran could have cracked through the encryption “sounds like a made-for-TV movie” says John Pike, a satellite expert and president of Globalsecurity.org. ”If they could overcome the sorts of of crypto systems that would protect this drone, they would not waste their time on surveillance drones. They would be breaking into banks.”

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
What pisses me off is that the government is cutting our military budgets, leaving our forces undermanned and without the equipment we need. While at the same time flatly ignoring the fact that we give billions in foreign aid every year. Stop doing that and give it to our military budget, would be a massive boost.

That being said, Surface-to-air and surface-to-surface missiles are MUCH cheaper than jets and since America is the only country in the world with pure stealth aircraft we could effectively defend this country and the Falklands without the need for dozens of planes and a carrier group. Especially against the Argies as they're relying on 20-30 year old planes which most likely don't employ proper countermeasures.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
America should give us all their nukes, then go wage war across the world, ridding the world of nuclear weapons, and once America have finished, we destroy their nukes.

Peace.

As that bloke says, huh, war, what is it good for?

Chilly

Balls of steel
May
What pisses me off is that the government is cutting our military budgets, leaving our forces undermanned and without the equipment we need. While at the same time flatly ignoring the fact that we give billions in foreign aid every year. Stop doing that and give it to our military budget, would be a massive boost.
Maybe we should stop spending money on eduction while we're at it and transfer that to the MoD. More shortsighted budget cuts please!

Where do you think our most lucrative corporate foreign trade deals come from? Countries we bribe into taking them. We get our foreign aid back and then some so stop your knee jerk daily mail bullshit and think it through.

Why do we need a military? To stop people we dont like fucking us. In 100 years do you want a bigger military or less people who dont like us? I know which I prefer!

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Indeed Chilly but you do also need the ones that still won't like us in the future to know we've got something awfully horrid that you can twat them around the head with if they do anything stupid.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Problem could also come from being super nice to a country so the Government love us. Then there is a regime change and the new Government hate us and we are screwed.

I would rather have the stick and never use it than to need it and not have it.

Chilly

Balls of steel
I'm not saying no military, that would be barmy. I'm just saying I'd rather see a relative expansion of diplomacy over military.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Thanks for the like gaff. I never thought anyone would understand that one :)

Mabs

I'm not saying no military, that would be barmy. I'm just saying I'd rather see a relative expansion of diplomacy over military.

this doesnt work, see the MAD doctrine.. doesnt matter what YOU want or need , its based of what the other nutters are doing.
get rid of N Korea, china, russia, india/pakistan, israel/everyone-else-around-there, the USA... then we can talk ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom