Help Hamsterdam

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
I'm gonna be there for a few days, early February - will probably be in a hotel somewhere centrally.

Now, I know fuck all about .NL, and Hamsterdam in particular.

What is there to do for a chillax geek who doesn't enjoy very loud music in bars?

Is there any comfy place where you can hear yourself think, but still have some music in the background, preferably rock/lounge/jazzy/chillout, which is also not very expensive? free wireless internet would rock :)

Outside bars/cafes, what would you recommend I visit/see? Bird is going to be busy for 2 days, so I have 2 days on my own, it's either sit in the hotel on the internet, or try see the city a bit.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Is there any comfy place where you can hear yourself think, but still have some music in the background, preferably rock/lounge/jazzy/chillout, which is also not very expensive? free wireless internet would rock :)

De Balie. they have awesome coffee but you can also have beers and food. It's one of my fave places.

De Balie - Google Maps

as to the rest. hit the museaums, go to Nemo.

old.Osy

Oh btw, any place where smoking is allowed? We're both smokers.

old.Osy

I did try once or twice, don't fancy it so much - did nothing for me.

Aaanyway - i'm not looking for weed advice, just places where you can smoke regular ciggies inside.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
You're narrowing the search too far.
Next it will be 'With a Italian owner called Grigo'

TdC

Oh btw, any place where smoking is allowed? We're both smokers.

sorry can't help you. I don't smoke but even if I did I fully support the no-smoking-inside rule. I suppose you'll know by seeing other people smoke inside.

as a tip: the *really* tiny bars have a waiver for this rule I've been told.

Talyn

Can't get enough of FH
As I understand it now, the 'Dam has a no smoking law, much like us UK'ers.

From what I've heard (and I only know it from the weed end) when you go to a coffeeshop for a smoke, you are only allowed to construct with weed. No tobacco. Tobacco makes it a 'cigarette', thus banned.

Even without the weed, just find a coffeeshop near the red light district, a warm scarf, sit outside and watch the people passing by. 'Tis very 'chillaxing' as you put it.

If you like rock though, I'd suggest The Doors. Last time I went (about 3/4 years ago) it was basically like a british rock pub where you could smoke the mary. Very cool place. What it's like now...

Ormorof

FH is my second home
there are some bars in amsterdam with "smoking" areas with a big sign that says "clear your own shit our staff are not allowed inside" kinda thing :)

i went to The doors a few years ago and it was class :)

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
If you like rock though, I'd suggest The Doors. Last time I went (about 3/4 years ago) it was basically like a british rock pub where you could smoke the mary. Very cool place. What it's like now...

You see, I don't understand that, why would you go to a foreign country, to go to a foreign pub? - I just can't do that, it's like going to Spain and seeing all the blantantly english people comparing fish 'n' chip resturaunts, NO, JUST NO!

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
You see, I don't understand that, why would you go to a foreign country, to go to a foreign pub? - I just can't do that, it's like going to Spain and seeing all the blantantly english people comparing fish 'n' chip resturaunts, NO, JUST NO!
Well in spain i go to the english/irish pubs because of the beer. I go to the spanish bars for the tapas.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
and a pub is a pub no matter where you go, as long as its cheap then im good! :)

Ezteq

Queen of OT
omg soo envious, my most fave plac ever!! Have a wonderful time, if you are in rembrandtsplein (eugh scuse spelling) check out the argentinian steak house, best steak I ever had in my life! also go to the hardrock cafe and have a strawberry daiquiri by the river, its bliss! We took a night time canal cruise too where you get wine and stuff and it was lovely, omg i wanna go back I love it sooo much :(

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
Who cares about music when you are so fucked the lights around you seems to collapse into a multicolor void?

Talyn

Can't get enough of FH

I didn't know it was a 'british' pub when I first went there.

Osy wanted rock, I gave him a rock bar. Most of the other coffee shops aren't rock.

While I was in the 'Dam, I did all the other touristy stuff, and spent many times in lots of other coffee shops too.

Tilda

Rent a bike - the yellow bike company are good. Grab a map from them and cycle down the river south to the windmill.
Plenty of pavement cafe's.

old.Osy

Bike is a good idea, but isn't it a bit cold for cycling this time of year?

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

TdC

it's about 0C at the mo. wear gloves. if you can, get a guided bike tour of the inner city:
a) they're quite fun and informative
b) they're scary as fook if you're not used to biking (in Amsterdam, which will feel like driving a car in Shanghai hehe)
c) all the Dutch peds and cyclists will hate you :)

survival tip: the Dutch primary side of the road, any road, even cycle paths is the right side. So, if someone bells you, do NOT stop/panic/swerve/slam on the brakes/move to the left...DO slow down slightly and move to the right side of the cycle path :)

old.Osy

Haha, good tips - but i'm a frequent rider in the spring/summer, own a decent bike and all, I should know a little about riding etiquette.
Thanks tho, appreciate it.

Ezteq

Queen of OT
...tbh the Amsterdamites put a new spin on the term 'hell on wheels' hehe

megadave

I am a FH squatter
That Doors cafe is awesome tbh, was one of my favourite 3 cafes I went to, and I went to many ;)

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Misses Pink Floyd. Staff there were really nice. Met some interesting people there. Sold some good stuff. :(

old.Osy

Arrived yesterday, we checked in at the hotel then went out to eat (food is friggin expensive by the way). We were tired, so we came back to the hotel and slept until the evening.

Went to De Balie, got seated - took 20 minutes for the waitress to come take our order. 20 minutes later, she comes by all appologetic, saying the main course we had selected (fish), was no longer available, as they had run out of fish. We order something else, then 10 minutes later she comes back and says the fish is back.... took about 1 hour to have our food in front of us :(

We finish our food and drinks, and ask for the bill. I ask if she can point us out to "Waterhole", a live music bar which should be in Leidseplein aswell. She says yes, and that she will be back with our change and she will explain then.

Comes back with the change, we tip her, and I ask her again about Waterhole - at which point she acts as if she never heard of the place, even though minutes earlier she had said she knows where it is.

Definetely un-impressed

Luckily, a guy seated close to our table overhears the convo and steps in, pointing us in the correct direction.

Waterhole was a blast, i'm happy to report - friendly staff, very very nice atmosphere, we had like 4 pints and could smoke inside, music was great, there were like 3 bands that played, we left for the hotel at about 1 am, as the gf needed to wake up early to go to work.

Today... I slept until noon, grabbed my laptop and rushed to the streets on foot, exploring randomly.

Stopped at some dutch traditional food place, had breakfast, then started walking around the streets, wandering randomly.

Eventually, after about 90 minutes of walking, i recognize the silhouette of the Nemo museum in the distance, so i head towards it.

Pretty cool, although It made me feel very old, as it was full of kids... and i hate kids :(

Then it started raining :( I hate rain.

From Nemo I went to the Bibliotheek Centrale, as someone told me there's free internet. Impressive place... quite crowded, aswell. Spent like an hour catching up with stuff on teh interweb, then headed for the hotel.

I am now in the room, dead tired from walking on foot, but I will go out on foot again tomorrow, it's just so nice to walk around and get the feel of the city. Plus gf is tired aswell, so none of us feels like going out again tonight.

Will just idle in the room, get some rest.

To be continued...

Ezteq

Queen of OT
top tip for saving money on food; get the lunch specials eat loads (was 10E when I went) and go to the albert heijnman (teeds heeelp forgotted how to spell it!!) supermarket and get snacks etc there to eat inthe hotel, there was a lovely deli down from my hotel and we just got take out from there (also we opted for a hotel where breakfast was included)

Check out the argy- steak house in leidersplein (heeeelp dutch spelling!!) it rocks and I still dribble when I think of the steaks!

megadave

I am a FH squatter
i've just realised ... Hamsterdam? You're going to Baltimore ? Watch out for all the crackheads and dealers. ;)

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Only been once. When I was young. All I could remember was walking thru an area with some very rude shops. Oh, and going to somewhere where they make cheese. The smell was so apalling, I had to wait outside. Put me off the stuff for life.

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
i've just realised ... Hamsterdam? You're going to Baltimore ? Watch out for all the crackheads and dealers. ;)

Finally. I said something along these lines back on the first page and everyone ignored me :'(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom