Halps. Gpu/Mobo/???? issue

ECA

I am a FH squatter
My main pc is a 2600k with a 1070 in it. Been working fine for 7 years, with just ssd+gpu upgrades. Really no performance issues at all, running 4.5ghz on air easy.

I to boot up last week and no display output, VGA error light is on the motherboard.... The cpu has onboard graphics... but my board does not have any display outputs on it, so I cannot test around that.

Replug everything, it works. Day or two later. Same issue. Reseat card.. sort of boots. Not getting the instant power off when I try to switch it off so I tried a single monitor w/ different output and the hdmi works... boot to windows, install new drivers, plug in other outputs... everythings fine. Do some load testing, cpu maxxing around 70 under 100% load and gpu around 60.

Wake up this morning and no fucking output again.......

Try 1070 in another pc I have that's an i5 4670k

Works no problem.

Ok maybe my motherboard is fucked ? So I put the 280x from the i5 into my main build and it works..

I'm very confused as to the root cause.... my guess is the 1070 zotac amp extreme is too heavy for the motherboard there's a slight GPU sag when it's in the 2600ks motherboard ( back in the day of puny gpus ), no sag in the i5.

Any other guesses before I order an R7 1700+mobo+ram ? lol.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
The only constructive thing that I can add here is that it seems to be a problem when the PC has been off prior to booting - I assume that if you leave it powered up it works continuously and doesn't actually crash / power off? Sounds like it's possible temperature related, or perhaps the PSU is having a wobbly on boot? Not sure, seems weird.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
I doubt it's the psu or temp related. 1200w PSU, even with 7 years worth of use it should still easily handle this.

old.user4556

I doubt it's the psu or temp related. 1200w PSU, even with 7 years worth of use it should still easily handle this.

Worth ruling out, something cooked somewhere? Only takes wonky voltage somewhere briefly.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
if playing around with, take out and re-insert, the installed Mobo components it could be the the mobo itself, cracked tracks or bad (dry) solder joints. Very common after a few years of use in multi-layer circuit boards. Flexing the board by reinserting a GPU can be enough to make the circuit work again for a while. Do you have a spare Mobo to swap out with?

Personally I would start with the Mobo. Relatively cheap as a starting point.

old.user4556

if playing around with, take out and re-insert, the installed Mobo components it could be the the mobo itself, cracked tracks or bad (dry) solder joints. Very common after a few years of use in multi-layer circuit boards. Flexing the board by reinserting a GPU can be enough to make the circuit work again for a while. Do you have a spare Mobo to swap out with?

Personally I would start with the Mobo. Relatively cheap as a starting point.

I had an old mobo from the Pentium days that suffered a dry joint, although it manifested itself in a different way. Good shout.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
That doesn't really make sense as to why the 1070 won't work in the board but the 280x does tho.

Or why the 1070 works fine in my other PX but not this one. Its the hardware malfunction light as well so its not a driver or ssd corruption issue

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Tried different PCI-E plugs on the PSU? The 280X has a TDP of like 180% that of the 1070 so it's not likely to be a PSU problem I don't think. Or maybe just a coincidence and the motherboard/CPU power cables are bollocksed and randomly causing it to not boot. Tried a different PSU?

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Might sound silly but have you tried running it on its side, so there is less strain on the graphics card slot?

My 980ti was too heavy so I made a little cable tie support that I attached to the top of the case to take the weight and its absolutely fine now.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Might sound silly but have you tried running it on its side, so there is less strain on the graphics card slot?

My 980ti was too heavy so I made a little cable tie support that I attached to the top of the case to take the weight and its absolutely fine now.

Tried that, didn't help.
Also tried the second pcie x16 lane and that didn't work either.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
your trying to think logically about a random thing. I had similar issue on Mobo where it would not start, during the fault finding I took out two of the four RAM modules, it booted. put them back in it booted. Then randomly a few days later same thing would happen. Swap the RAM into other machine no issue but after week the exchanged RAM 4x modules did the same thing. Bloody bizarre and not logical but changed the mobo and is was sorted. Dry joint and cracked tracks in multi layer boards tend to cause such issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom