Halo 3

Nate

FH is my second home
Halo 3 !

Gots it! rocks!! I gots the black t-shirt, 2 wireless halo 3 controllers and me likes! Graphics are great and the guns are big :D

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
*snifs air* 4am....screaming...t-shirts....i smell a fanboi... *loads shotgun*

Glad you like it, waiting to try when i can steal a copy from someone.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
OK, opened the local freebie paper here in Dubai this morning to find a full page Halo 3 add. Nice job as far as the marketing goes.

However, it shows the following:

Standard Edition
Limited Edition
Legendary Edition

What's the difference, is the product different or is it just fluff like a free T-shirt or shitty little map or something? Made me laugh looking at it. No directors cut, guess that will come later.:D

kivik

Part of the furniture
What's the difference, is the product different or is it just fluff like a free T-shirt or shitty little map or something? Made me laugh looking at it. No directors cut, guess that will come later.:D

The cover is different also :) We bought Halo 2 Limited edition and it had a nice metallic case.

Going to get Halo 3 today, picking up me projector aswell. Mmmmm! :D

Nate

FH is my second home
Standard Edition - Plastic Box
Limited Edition - Tin Box(i got this)
Legendary Edition - Helmet box!!!

don't think you get a free t-shirt.

preacherboy

Fledgling Freddie
Played 1 and 2 of halo didn't like neither of em... Medal of honor allied assault FTW:england:

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
Played it round my mates last night, even on his HDTV, the only opinion I have is "It's a bit pretty but nothing new".

I'll play it when it comes out on the PC, mainly because i'm not shelling out for a 360 and I fucking HATE using a control pad.

LONG LIVE WSAD!

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Legendary Edition - Helmet box!!!

How to buy articles 101 that is :D

And yes, IGN are bought, was proved in a project we had a few years back.

*rofl to the max payne!* "First aid kit, 'cause i chafe alot...erm...play halo 3 so much that i chafe..."

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Played it round my mates last night, even on his HDTV, the only opinion I have is "It's a bit pretty but nothing new".

Got to agree, the gfx range from dated to downright poor in some places compared to current releases

Mey

Part of the furniture
A few more weapons, a few more vehicles, the added you've got a team of marines with you, makes for another huge sucess for bungie by the looks..

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
A few more weapons, a few more vehicles, the added you've got a team of marines with you, makes for another huge sucess for bungie by the looks..

Well, if you want to look at it like that:

What does team fortress 2 bring?
What did Wolfenstein 3d bring?
What did battlefield series(since 1942) bring?
What did half-life 2 bring?

Think i made my point, now correct me if i'm wrong.

Laddey

FH is my second home
Nate, are you going to wear the Halo 3 T-Shirt ?

Who would wear a Halo 3 T-Shirt :( It's like wearing an Albion/Camlann T-Shirt!!

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
Nate, are you going to wear the Halo 3 T-Shirt ?

Who would wear a Halo 3 T-Shirt :( It's like wearing an Albion/Camlann T-Shirt!!

Not really, wearing a MS related t-shirt is nothing like wearing an Albion/Camlann one. I'd actually consider wearing the 2nd one, but the 1st one only after a brain surgery and even not for a case full with money :p.

Nate

FH is my second home
The t-shirt doesn't really relate to Halo 3, just has the Master Chief on it.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Well, if you want to look at it like that:

What does team fortress 2 bring?
-Team play over solo play, TF2 teamplay is a requirement even in public games whereas TF1 it was optional as you could just as easily concussion jump your way from one flag point to another. Obviously this is a very big generalisation as good players will know how to counter it, but good players in general play on good servers :p (at least they used to)
-Completely overhauled gfx, they arent even remotely the same
-A new ruleset, TF2 is more like Quake style capture the flag opposed to staying true to team fortress classic (if you want that your better off with fortress forever)

What did Wolfenstein 3d bring?
cant comment dont really remember an awful lot from wolfenstein 3d ><

What did battlefield series(since 1942) bring?
Not alot, but its not a sequel its a different game so was never intended to be a follow up but a stand alone

What did half-life 2 bring?
-A vast improvement on gfx, physics, models etc etc brought by the source engine
-vehicals
-vastly superior AI
-Suprior animation, gfx etc etc brought by the source engine
-Physics
-Source SDK allowing for better game and enviroment design

If you arent going to play the multiplayer there isnt really all that much reason to buy halo 3

Now if you said what did hl ep 1 bring thats a different story

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
As someone who is ACTUALLY 90% of the way through the singleplayer I have to say alot of you people commenting here are just plain wrong. The game is very good, the multiplayer is bordering on great and I might be a 360 fanboi but I verged on hating Halo 2 with a passion. Luckily Halo 3 is everything Halo 2 should have been but with fancier graphics and a much better set of options for multiplayer.

As for those saying the graphics are subpar, well I suggest you get beyond the first couple of levels before you give your reviews and condemn the game. The visuals are not as good as Gears of War but they are as good as 90% of the 'next gen' shooters out there and surely the way the game plays is more important anyway? In gameplay regards Halo 3 just works, it doesn't reinvent the wheel but it is very polished in the way it plays and if you can get past all the PR hype and bullshit you will find a very good FPS with excellent multiplayer.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Luckily Halo 3 is everything Halo 2 should have been but with fancier graphics and a much better set of options for multiplayer.
No arguments here

As for those saying the graphics are subpar, well I suggest you get beyond the first couple of levels before you give your reviews and condemn the game. The visuals are not as good as Gears of War but they are as good as 90% of the 'next gen' shooters
We will have to agree to disagree here, the jaggies and poor textures are very evident in areas (maybe this is because of 1080p?), maybe i had too high expectations because of all the hype (which try as you may, is very hard to ignore). Overal it looks 'ok', but thats it by todays console standards. Gears of War really set the bar for visual omg'ness on the 360 and unfortunately halo 3 is short of it

In gameplay regards Halo 3 just works, it doesn't reinvent the wheel but it is very polished in the way it plays and if you can get past all the PR hype and bullshit you will find a very good FPS with excellent multiplayer.
Noone said the game wasnt good, it just isnt amazing which it was built up to be. The multiplayer is where it excels as you have quite rightly said

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
We will have to agree to disagree here, the jaggies and poor textures are very evident in areas (maybe this is because of 1080p?), maybe i had too high expectations because of all the hype (which try as you may, is very hard to ignore). Overal it looks 'ok', but thats it by todays console standards. Gears of War really set the bar for visual omg'ness on the 360 and unfortunately halo 3 is short of it

Careful, i said the same thing about Crysis, and got pummeled :D

It's good, but not THAT good as the hype says.

But, on your previous commentary on my examples about game improvements. They are quite true, but as Halo 3 brings new weapons, vehicles, story, improved AI is most likely true too, and improved graphics AS MUCH as one can expect in such a high gfx state of things, isn't it warrant enough to be a sequel as the others?

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
We will have to agree to disagree here, the jaggies and poor textures are very evident in areas (maybe this is because of 1080p?)

I would imagine that 720p would have been Bungie's target resolution for aliasing and texturing, you have to remember that 97% of the worlds HD sets are currently 720p/1080i and that is what Bungie coded for. 1080p is a supported resolution but I would imagine that FSAA isn't enabled because of the framebuffer size and the textures will look a little low res at 1080p as that resolution has more than twice the pixel count of 720p so any textures optimised for that resolution aren't going to scale brilliantly sadly. While the game renders are 1080p they obviously didn't use enough dedicated source art and textures for the 1080p vartiant.

It isn't ideal I know, Bungie made a compromise to keep 720p super smooth and 1080p support is more of an after thought.

At 720p though the game does look good, it could do with a little bit more AF but apart from that it looks good to me, not great but definately good. Oh and I have only spotted jaggies twice on my 720p 50inch TV, both of which were in extreme conditions where anything less than x8AA would have been noticeable.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Careful, i said the same thing about Crysis, and got pummeled :D

It's good, but not THAT good as the hype says.

But, on your previous commentary on my examples about game improvements. They are quite true, but as Halo 3 brings new weapons, vehicles, story, improved AI is most likely true too, and improved graphics AS MUCH as one can expect in such a high gfx state of things, isn't it warrant enough to be a sequel as the others?

Agree 100% with the Crysis bit.

As for Halo 3 bringing enough to justify it as a sequel, well compare it against games like Call of Duty or Half Life 2 and it's 'episodes' and yes they have done enough to justify a sequel, especially as a story and cinematic experience.

Halo 3 has better visuals than Halo 2. It has more weapon/enemy/vehicle variety than Halo 2. It is smoother and more polished than Halo 2. It has a vastly improved multiplayer than Halo 2. It has better sound than Halo 2. It has a much better story than Halo 2. Most importantly though it is much much better to play than Halo 2, especially in multiplayer.

Malcolm

Can't get enough of FH
Bought this mostly for multiplayer as a quite a few mates have it, despite my dislike of console based FPS. Though I'm actually looking forward to Quake Wars on my new PC more even though it's not particularly original :)

Nate

FH is my second home
Does he have a hdmi lead for his xbox then chronic? :eek: Didn't know they could run 1080p

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Does he have a hdmi lead for his xbox then chronic? :eek: Didn't know they could run 1080p

old xbox's can do it over VGA (and component?, there was a problem where they were only doing 1080i i dont know if its been fixed yet) , new xbox premiums and elite's come with hdmi
you dont need hdmi for 1080p (ofc picture quality etc varies from device to device as there is less bandwidth available on component)

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
1080p works over VGA but very few screens support it sadly.

Chronictank

FH is my second home

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Out of curiosity, do you have 5.1 setup?
if so how did you do it? i was looking at this:
YAMAHA AV61 PACKAGE (RXV361 HOME CINEMA RECEIVER AND NSP110 5.1 SPEAKER SYSTEM) - available from Superfi UK Visit http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/product_id/3396 for details

as i want to connect a wii (component) , ps3 (optical) and 360(optical) to it

Nah I am happy with stereo, I have never really got the surround sound bug and my living room isn't ideal for a surround setup anyway. I generally game on my 360 with headphones on so I can crank it up real loud :)

Iirc a few people on the console forum have thier 360's running out to 5.1 systems, post there and see if anyone bites.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom