Guitar

Panda On Smack

Can't get enough of FH
So im thinking of getting a guitar and learning a few tunes to strum out

Any musicians in the house?

I would like to get a decent guitar but is there a certain entry level one thats better or should i get the best i can afford?

phlash

Fledgling Freddie
Stupid but obvious question my friend: acoustic or electric?

<big generalisation>
Acoustic guitars are better for your playing technique (ie: its more difficault to cheat and get away with poor technique!). Electric guitars give you a wider range of sounds.
</big generalisation>

As for buying something - try as many types as you can off people you know with guitars (everyone knows someone!), then take one of them shopping and have lots more goes in the shops before you part with cash.

<another generalisation>
An accetable guitar can be had for ~100 quid new (try Argos!), 50-80 secondhand. A more flexible guitar (ie: one that won't feel limiting in a years time) will cost another 50 quid or so, then you are into brand names, knobs and whistles, etc.
</another generalisation>

Phil (just the bass player really).

harebear

Fledgling Freddie
stubbyrulz said:
aye real men play bass

>(

If I was starting now id be tempted to get something decent second hand.

You can get decent enough little practice amp that will last you until you can play for < 30 assuming you get an electric. If ye not getting an electric then get a nice classical. ;D

Jonaldo

Can't get enough of FH
Bass is played by men who can't count to 6

(6 string bass is played by men who have recently learned to count to 6)

stubbyrulz

Fledgling Freddie
Jonaldo said:
Bass is played by men who can't count to 6

(6 string bass is played by men who have recently learned to count to 6)
im offended :/ i play a 5 string ;P but i have to admit most bass are a bit boring with what they play

Clown

Part of the furniture
Record me something with just a bass guitar. I might get myself a cheapo one if I can be arsed to learn.

Jonaldo

Can't get enough of FH
stubbyrulz said:
im offended :/ i play a 5 string ;P but i have to admit most bass are a bit boring with what they play
;) sorry

almost forgot to mention there is the odd 12 string bass out there even :eek7: . Only ever seen Pearl Jams' Jeff Ament playing one though, think he did in 'Jeremy'.

Clown

Part of the furniture
Hello.

Is it easy to teach myself how to play the guitar? Is it possible to teach yourself from the internets or is it best to buy a book or something?

Parp.

Thanks.

Internets.

stubbyrulz

Fledgling Freddie
its possible to teach yourself. but you need to be motivated ;P and it helps to have someone show you how to do stuff so you dont pick up bad habbits

Clown

Part of the furniture
I have a "Dummy's Guide to..." book. If I make any sort of progress I'll look into a tutor. If not, I'll just throw the guitar away.

harebear

Fledgling Freddie
I taught self for just over a year and I pwn people who have had 3 years of lessons so yes, its possible. xd

*hat stretches and tears off*

Like stubby said you need to be motivated and dont just do easy shit power ch0rd songs. Keep trying to learn songs that you dont think you can play.

tRoG

Fledgling Freddie
Yarr. I picked up the bass again a couple of years back after a long hiatus, and my advice is thus: attempt to play stuff you imagine is beyond your current skill level. Practise at it, hard, until you can play it. That's how to improve :)

Basicly, when picking a new song to learn, go for Rush instead of Green Day :)

harebear

Fledgling Freddie
And if you wanna be pr0 then play metal/jazz/neo classical. ;D

Wij

I am a FH squatter
tRoG said:
Yarr. I picked up the bass again a couple of years back after a long hiatus, and my advice is thus: attempt to play stuff you imagine is beyond your current skill level. Practise at it, hard, until you can play it. That's how to improve :)

Basicly, when picking a new song to learn, go for Rush instead of Green Day :)

You can play YYZ ?

*impressed*

MKJ

Fledgling Freddie
Watch your back. Hell I been stepping up the amount of practising I have been doing lately. Also adopted a different way of holding the guitar. Result in just a few days? - back sore as hell. Been lieing about all day with a hot water bottle underneath my shoulders and lower back. Still I am improving so fast now cos of all this practising. Also moved up to the 'proper' acoustic finger picking blues now as compiled by Johnny Norris. As far as I know it don't get any harder. Slide guitar next etc. Just got to get my back and shoulders trained up. In bleeding agony at the moment though :fluffle: .

harebear

Fledgling Freddie
Code:
|-19p15--------------------15h19p15------|
|------17----------------17--------17----|
|--------16------------16------------16--|
|----------17--------17------------------|
|------------19p14h19--------------------|
|----------------------------------------|

|-19p15--------------------15h19p15------|
|------17----------------17--------17----|
|--------16------------16------------16--|
|----------17--------17------------------|
|------------19p14h19--------------------|

|-14p11--------------------11h14p11------|
|------12----------------12--------12----|
|--------11------------11------------11--|
|----------13--------13------------------|
|------------14p10h14--------------------|

|-------13--------------15--------------15-|
|-----12-----------------------------------|
|---14-------------------------------------|
|-15---------------------------------------|
|------------------------------------------|

|-----12-----------------------------------|
|---14-------------------------------------|
|-15---------------------------------------|
|------------------------------------------|

fast. :p

http://metaltabs.com/tab/8237/ <-- this a little challenge for anyone on guitar too. ;P

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
harebear said:
Good sweeps = eargasm. ;P

My 2p.

I've played the guitar for ten years now, mostly self taught knowledge and I have wide spectrum of musical taste - I enjoy various styles of guitar playing.

I'm going to be controversial and say that Van Halen fingertaps, sweep picking, Jimmy Paige uber solos (Heartbreaker for instance) although they sound good to other guitarists, they just don't make good music/songs.

The Hearbreaker solo may be technically impressive, but it's just not got any feel or soul compared to a slower "less impressive" solo such as the solo in Stairway to Heaven.

Take Neil Young, you could argue that his slow docile plodding chords and almost off-tune scrappy guitar playing aren't anywhere near as impressive as a blistering sweep pick solo, but his songs are some of the best and emotionally moving ever written.

I guess a great solo with feel and a moving song are the best combo. Some that spring to mind:

Alice Cooper - Poison
Thin Lizzy - China Town
Led Zeppelin - Stairway To Heaven
Iron Maiden - <take your pick> ;)

All in my own humble opinion :).

harebear

Fledgling Freddie
My favorite are nearly all by Opeth which arent technically impressive either, but theres some amazing stuff out there from bands like Vital remains and Beneath the massacre. ;P

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
I'm now currently addicted to playing Bass, now I cant feel the ends of my index and second finger on my right hand from playing it so much, so much more fun than playing ye olde 6-string.

Getting a 5 string Bass this christmas, hoping its a nice wubly Tanglewood. :D

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
Sharma said:
I'm now currently addicted to playing Bass, now I cant feel the ends of my index and second finger on my right hand from playing it so much, so much more fun than playing ye olde 6-string.

Getting a 5 string Bass this christmas, hoping its a nice wubly Tanglewood. :D
I <3 my Yamaha active 5 string (RBX775a AFAIR) although it took me a while to get used to it, the strings are too damn close together for my stubby little fingers.

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
According to every single damned person i've talked to, I "look" like a bassist for some reason.

When I say I play guitar people always ask "Ah, Bass?"

It's really really weird. oO

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
Oh. My. God.

Went to Sound Control today and had a jam on a few 5-strings and even a 6-string bass, first one I tried was a Peavy Grind Bass, oh my god, pure "cum in your pants" moment, coming through a £800 Ashdown Bass Amp, jesus christ such an unbelievable sound.

Tried a 6-string fury also, rather odd playing a 6-string bass, the extra bottom string was confusing me, I dont have a problem with a 5-string though.

And also, 6-string bass necks arent really that wide HOWEVER, I saw a 7-string bass (Yes, 7 string custom made) and I was abolutely terrified at the size of this fucking things neck, it was like nearly the span of my hand, I couldnt fit my hands around it.

Oh my god can't wait for christmas! :D

MKJ

Fledgling Freddie
Bought a cheapo - well not that cheap - acoustic guitar from my catalogue. Over £100 if I remember rightly. I have been practising hard for a year. I notice now though the neck is showing white patches. Also there are dips in the woodwork of the neck? Ok I can restain the neck but the dips? By dips I mean crators where the white marks are. Obviously I been putting a lot of finger movement on those spots and it has caused the neck to wear. How do you go about sorting such a problem out? A new neck? I bet it means a new guitar. Ok then what is a good and hard wearing steel stringed acoustic guitar?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom