guitar progression

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
after a long break from the guitar ive come back and now know the 5 basic open chords.

im stuck now on how i should progress. what exactly should i be doing next?

Flintlock

Banned
Ry Gooder is supposed to be playing the guitar for the karate kid - or he showed him how to play it. I practice a piece by Ry on my ropey guitar. I play it very ropily (is that a word?) too. Once I have uploaded a shi-t load of stuff I will make a recording for you - finger picking blues :). See if you like that stuff. Never know you might.

Succi

Fledgling Freddie
open chords -> power chords -> barre chords -> scales

is what my teacher did, he introduced them with different songs I wanted to play

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Also i think you would be overqualified to play any AC/DC song also :D

Flintlock

Banned
Well I said I would make a recording for you. Not really the tune to show finger picking but what the heck.

This tune is different to a lot I think - a heavy Blues piece. Aggressive for one thing and I like the way it uses the lower 3 strings. I am experimenting with this tune and being far too hard on the guitar I think at the moment but it does me good to hammer it. Anyways here is a technique - finger picking - that not many bother to learn. After this tune you probably can see why :). Still, all good clean fun. Ain't been practicing my guitar hard enough lately with all the website stuff I been messing with. Can't remember the name of the tune either. My timing isn't right yet but oh well here my version of it:

Media Gallery

Just click on Trisdemo.wmv and it will play on in the webplayer.

As has been mentioned getting a guitar teacher might be a good idea, but they don't come cheap me thinks.

Regards
Bluesplayer

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
thanks for the input bluesplayer :)

looks a bit advanced for me.

Flintlock

Banned
thanks for the input bluesplayer

looks a bit advanced for me.

I ain't been playing that long myself. Think it is just over 3 years. My niece has been receiving guitar lessons and she has come along leaps and bounds. A good teacher can help you get started. There are so many styles though. I choose finger picking cos I liked the type of blues you can play. Also you can make your own songs up really quickly. Must be one of the hardest types of guitar playing to learn though - finger picking. Weird tune I played for you and you are right it is pretty advanced technically. Just wanted to show you a different way of playing. Not many people are aware of finger picking as they only ever see strumming. Hell of a a lot harder to pick individual strings but with practice you can end up heck of a good guitarist. I might well get there myself one day. To learn the guitar though you really have to love music and the feelings it inspires. That is why the technique I am trying to master helps me get my feelings across. When I am upset, angry, euphoric etc I can just pick the guitar up and transfer the energy into my playing. Makes you feel good.

Stick with it!

By the way did you like the piece? Not sure you can like that piece really as it is a bit strange. Different innit? The way I play it anyways :).

Bluesplayer

Serbitar

Fledgling Freddie
have you got to the 'smashing the guitar over the head of the drummer' part yet? thats the best :D

Flintlock

Banned
Last post in here now. Thought to show you the type of stuff I create. This is a soft instrumental I wrote. Pretty hard to play even slow as your fingers have to be pretty strong to hold certain chords down. No title. About 3 1/2 mins long. The technique I am learning and the fact I have memorized the blues pattern on the guitar (not hard) enable me to improvise. No improvising in this tune though. Lower notes haven't recorded well though as I must have been too close to the mic. Anyways here it is:

Bluesplayer Amateur Musicians - Bluesplayer: Soft instrumental

Plenty of practice and get some recordings done and I will stick em on my site. That goes for any other budding musician too :)

Regards
Bluesplayer

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom