Games GT5 Delayed again

Wij

I am a FH squatter
I'd say it wasn't perfect, but still pretty damned good. Loads times take the piss sometimes, although I suppose they are made worse by how good the driving is when it's loaded.

It must be shit. I've wasted 30 quid :(

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Wondering if a 7200rpm hard drive will help the load times a bit as they are doing my head in at the moment.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter

Yaka

Part of the furniture
slap in a SSD, my just changed from 500gb hdd to a 1268b ssd and can notice the load times more now on mine.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
you can put a SsD in a ps3 ?

what brand ?

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Finally had some time to play it today, mostly very impressed but the more I played the more the AI pissed me off, I was wondering if it was a level difficulty thing and the AI got better as you progressed but it seems not. Then I found this...

YouTube - Gran Turismo 5 vs. Forza 3 - AI comparison

Really, for a game 6 years in development they really could have done alot better with the AI, stupid fuckers don't even try to avoid you.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
From Arstechnica...

Again, this is a damn good racing game at its core. But the problem is that the core is covered in parts that aren’t so good, and the developers have had six years to get this right. Yes, they fixed the tire physics, but they haven’t improved the way collisions are modeled. Damage only starts to appear once you’ve reached level 15, and doesn’t get serious until level 40. Damage on the standard cars doesn't look good; they look like wax models that have spent too long next to a radiator. You can't leave pieces of premium car bodywork on the track either.

Since there’s no damage penalty, there’s almost no incentive not to bounce off the AI cars, using them as cornering aids. There isn’t even much time penalty for driving into a tire barrier at 150 mph, something that ought to have race-ending consequences. Worse yet, there aren’t any collision noises, and the lack of any significant aural cue is very unhelpful when your car gets rammed. It is also very easy to get stuck to the back of a slower car in front, when you ought to be able to power them out of the way. It’s even possible to bounce off a traffic cone on occasion, which can’t be right.

Yes, it does look great, but the claimed 60fps isn't constant, and the framerate doesn't just suffer when you’re in a giant pack of cars. A fifth of the cars, likewise, look and sound terrific. Unfortunately the other 800 are ported over from GT4, GT PSP, and GT:prologue. These range from looking decent to fairly shoddy. You can’t change wheels on the standard cars, and they don’t have rendered interiors. I know it takes a long time to model each car, but again, six years have gone by—what have they been doing with the time? The no-wheel-changing thing is doubly irritating since, in my opinion, they’ve put the wrong wheels on the BMW M3 CSL and I can’t make it right. Over at Digital Foundry you can read a more in-depth dissection of the graphics and how they stack up.

The interface is clunky, with far too many button presses needed to get around the place. There’s a lot of interminable jazz used in interstitial moments. You can have a custom soundtrack (finally!), but only in the races, and each race starts with a new track rather than carrying on through the playlist. Some of the A-Spec race series require cars that can only be found at the used car dealer, but actually finding the model you need can be a lottery. The irritation is compounded when the reward car is the model you spent days waiting for. The NASCAR challenges are actually pretty fun with a steering wheel, but awful with a Sixaxis. In fact, all of the driving is much better with a wheel than the traditional controller. And unlike the Xbox 360, a wide range of wheels will work with the PS3. Pick one up.

Pretty fair assesment of things.

From behind, late in the race: a racing fan reviews Gran Turismo 5

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Finally had some time to play it today, mostly very impressed but the more I played the more the AI pissed me off, I was wondering if it was a level difficulty thing and the AI got better as you progressed but it seems not. Then I found this...

YouTube - Gran Turismo 5 vs. Forza 3 - AI comparison

Really, for a game 6 years in development they really could have done alot better with the AI, stupid fuckers don't even try to avoid you.

Ya that's level 1 AI, it gets better and I think gets set to max around lvl 40?

I mean just to point out it's not really a fair comparison or anything

*whistles*

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Surely all AI model at all levels should have the ability to get the fuck out of the way? :D

Yaka

Part of the furniture
its the uber Schumacher AI

"there are many lines like but this line is mine"

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Agree about the clunky interface - it's fucking awful.

B-Spec is just a time-sink. Set it going in between rounds on MW2 on PC and build up cash. Woo :/

Random 2nd hand garage waiting day after day through the slow interface grates my soul's bellend off.

Yes, and the AI is pants.

It's still GT and it's playable and I'll put a bit of time into it but I was expecting a more polished core game.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Anyone found a decent site for tweaks, tunes and set-ups yet ?

(and another thing that grates is that the tune-up options are still all the same. almost no different from GT1. so you buy a GTR SpecV 09 monster but it still benefits from putting on a cheapo sports suspension kit for the same cost as a cheapo sports suspension for a lupo. obviously GTRs don't have decent suspension as stock. wtf?)

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
(and another thing that grates is that the tune-up options are still all the same. almost no different from GT1. so you buy a GTR SpecV 09 monster but it still benefits from putting on a cheapo sports suspension kit for the same cost as a cheapo sports suspension for a lupo. obviously GTRs don't have decent suspension as stock. wtf?)

Considering it took 6 years to make there really are some glaring holes. Shame really but still a great game warts and all.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
Fairly decent review on the reg which seems to sum up what I've heard from a few people:

Gran Turismo 5 ? reghardware

Comments on the article seem to agree largely. and lol at the guy who got disqualified from an event for hitting a cone that an AI car had punted into his path haha...

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
It's sad how far some Xbox fanboys will go to try and protect their darling Forza's image.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
yeah, because Gran Turismo/PS3 fans are completely different :lol:

Yep and Wazz is known for his impartiality. Just like his 'kinect can't track fingers' comment, proven nonsense but he won't retract either. ;)

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
It's not MY comment, it's the comment of technical people who have WORKED WITH IT.

But then you'd know more than they would, wouldn't you?

Also, please point me to anywhere where I've said ANYTHING negative about Forza. I never have.

So please, think before you type you utter spastics.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
it always happens really tbh long as i enjoy both games i dont give a shit wot others say

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
It's not MY comment, it's the comment of technical people who have WORKED WITH IT.

But then you'd know more than they would, wouldn't you?

Also, please point me to anywhere where I've said ANYTHING negative about Forza. I never have.

So please, think before you type you utter spastics.

Go back to the Kinect thread, watch the video and say no more. ;)

Oh and spastics? Please, you are a bit old for sticks and stones.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Working towards 10,000,000 Cr at the minute. Should be easy enough to finish the Extreme series after that. Just got an R92 :)

Anyone finished the last Kart challenge ? Fucking annoying :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom