Greatest Guitar Solos Ever?

cuddled0rf

Fledgling Freddie
Hawkwind said:
Ralph Macchio in the film Crossroads ;)
Ralph Doesnt play guitar, the maker of the film hired Steve Vai to make the music in it, but in the end decided for a more bluesy approach, and had Ry Cooder change it all, except for the last part of the duel vs the devils guitar play (jack butler, played by steve vai). Kinda ironic the only part Vai cant play is the part he wrote himself, its called eugenes trick bag if looking for tabs, but all the slide is Ry Cooder, a most excellent guitarist imo.

*edit*
Apparently Vai didnt like getting ditched, so the duel itself was never released, and hence isnt on the soundtrack.

Himse

FH is my second home
The solo in the Bat Country song by Avenged Sevenfold.

Also the solo in Hand of Blood by Bullet for my Valentine

pretty new songs, but awesome :D

Zede

Part of the furniture
vai, malmpeen, and all "technical" geetar players..../sigh when it comes to passion they are somewhat lacking.

few favs of mine though :

Slash on "Locomotive"

Page on "In my time of dying"

Young " Down by the river"

Gilmour " Dogs"

Rookiescot

Fledgling Freddie
Dunno what you mean by the best...

If its technical ability then it would have to be either Steve Vai or Ry Cooder as demonstrated in that Film Crossroads mentioned above.

If its gut wrenching, emotiv, and ball bustin that your after then I wouldnt go past George Thorogood.

Orenthal

Can't get enough of FH
Most songs by Children of Bodom and In Flames include really good solo's, but thats just my taste in music :]

Aragyn

Fledgling Freddie
Jimmy Hendrix - Little Wing (ofc, he has loads of good ones, but I really like that song)
Stevie Ray Vaughn - Little Wing (one of the worlds best guitarplayers, mostly blues)

Also alot of other great songs with good guitar in them, but not so much solos, guess I'm not a great fan of the incredible focus on the guitar, and espesially solos on the A and E string, to many play like that after my taste, go deeper people!! :p

Leel

Fledgling Freddie
I really would have to say "Am I evil" by Diamondhead, played by Metallica.

Healer McHeal

Fledgling Freddie
hammerfall - legacy of kings
norther - dream
few in flames ones :p
trivium - dying in your arms

there is loads more, but its early and i cant play it too loud and i want too so ill stop here :<

Zil

Fledgling Freddie
Gary Moore - Still Got The Blues

Chuck Berry - Johnny B Good

Eric Clapton - Wonderful Tonight

Metallica - Nothing else matters

:clap: :clap: :clap:

A

Aoln

Himse said:
I know someone irl who can play that, it sounds fkin pwn :D
Heavy guitaring, but the song itself isn't so great :l

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Aoln said:
Heavy guitaring, but the song itself isn't so great :l

Have a look around for '60% Masturbation', it was only ever recorded at a live show iirc so the sound quality ain't so hot but the song itself is a 12 minute epic guitar solo ;)

Succi

Fledgling Freddie
Don't think you can include eruption as a solo :p

just random wankage that was recorded , then the manager insisted it went on record... was 100% improvised

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
Can't believe no-one has mentioned Eddie Van Halen yet or are all the old people still in bed?

The bit of Freebird by Lynyrd Skynyrd after the singing has stopped is probably the best example of southern blues ever. Apparently somewhere there is a 50+ minute version of that song they recorded live.

Jimmy Page pulled some amazing solos out live, check out live recordings of stormers like Rock and Roll or Whole lotta Love.

Conservative Shithead by Napalm Death is nothing but a 22 second solo.

One of my turns by Pink Floyd is great too.

If you want to hear possibly the best solo ever, listen to 'And there was skin' which is a 5 minute drum solo by Cozy Powell with a guitar part added to it.

Bubble

Can't get enough of FH
Rainbow- Gates of Babylon

theres a 3 minute solo in it :)

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Requiel said:
Can't believe no-one has mentioned Eddie Van Halen yet or are all the old people still in bed?

Eddie V is a legend of course and a master of the double tap but compared to some of the virtuoso players mentioned such as Vai and Malmsteen poor old Eddie does come up a bit short in the overall ability stakes.

DocWolfe

Part of the furniture
cHodAX said:
Eddie V is a legend of course and a master of the double tap but compared to some of the virtuoso players mentioned such as Vai and Malmsteen poor old Eddie does come up a bit short in the overall ability stakes.

cHo dont try and sound like you know what you're talking about :p

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
DocWolfe said:
cHo dont try and sound like you know what you're talking about :p

I am not an expert but I have been listening to guitar based music for the last 20 years :p

echome

Fledgling Freddie
Pink Floyd with darkside of the moon I think it is... almost made me cry.:worthy:

Naetha

Fledgling Freddie
I'm really surprised more Pink Floyd hasn't been mentioned - loads of songs off the Wall album, as well as a lot of their later stuff (such as Division Bell).

What about Dire Straits? Sultans of Swing and Tunnel of Love on Alchemy. Eagles - Hotel California. At the end of the day the metal stuff is good in terms of entire songs, but for solos that make your legs melt you need the more melodic measured solos imo.

1) Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb
2) Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing (Alchemy/live version)
3) Lynyrd Skynyrd - Free Bird (again, live version pwns)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom