Greatest Guitar Solos Ever?

A

Aoln

Everyone knows guitar solos are one of the greatest things known to man, which are your favourite?

Heres a few of my personal favourites:

Free Bird - Lynyrd Skynyrd
Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin
Eruption - Van Halen
Phantom of the Opera - Iron Maiden

These seem like the obvious ones to me but there's hundreds more i couldn't live without :fluffle:

givemore:(

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Any guitar play thread should have Steve Vai in it. Man was and probably is a genius with the six stringed devil.

Killswitch

FH is my second home
Ozzy Osborne (Randy Rhodes) - Mr Crowley/Suicide Solution

Zakk Wylde - Spoke In The Wheel (acoustic)

Dimebag Darrell - Cemetary Gates

Slash - all of 'em!! (Welcome to the Jungle, November Rain for examples)

A

Aoln

theres loads... yngwie malmsteen, metallica, black sabboth, joe satriani ... :D

MKJ

Fledgling Freddie
Geetars

Am learning finger picking acoustic guitar like the old blues players used to use. Where most if not all real good guitar playing came from infact. The likes of Jimmy Hendrix etc. His music was all based - or most of it - on the blues scale. The sound of a well played acoustic guitar by an expert finger picker such as Johnny Norris (music I am practising) is incredibly good. The sounds that can come out of the guitar is unbelievable using the finger picking method. Havva listen to this piece I am learning. A piece from a book called 'Super Solos for Acoustic Guitar'. I am allowed to show it to you as it is available for listening on the music site itself.

http://programs-4u.com/show/freeway.wma

Apart from stuff like the above that is so amazing to me I would like to recommend Jimmi Hendrix playing 'Machine Gun'. Guy was close to the best if not the best he ever was when playing that piece - which really is a masterpiece - staggering.

Killswitch

FH is my second home
MKJ said:
Am learning finger picking acoustic guitar like the old blues players used to use. Where most if not all real good guitar playing came from infact. The likes of Jimmy Hendrix etc. His music was all based - or most of it - on the blues scale. The sound of a well played acoustic guitar by an expert finger picker such as Johnny Norris (music I am practising) is incredibly good. The sounds that can come out of the guitar is unbelievable using the finger picking method. Havva listen to this piece I am learning. A piece from a book called 'Super Solos for Acoustic Guitar'. I am allowed to show it to you as it is available for listening on the music site itself.

http://programs-4u.com/show/freeway.wma

Apart from stuff like the above that is so amazing to me I would like to recommend Jimmi Hendrix playing 'Machine Gun'. Guy was close to the best if not the best he ever was when playing that piece - which really is a masterpiece - staggering.

Seriously...listen to Spoke in the Wheel by Zakk Wylde / Black Label Society! LISTEN TO IT NOW!!!!

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Anything by Steve Vai or Nuno Bettencourt works for me, Nuno's '60% Masturbation' is a 12 minute solo and totally off this planet :D As for Vai well alot of his best stuff is more ballad than balls out rock but 'Tender Surrender' is pretty mind blowing.

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
old.Tohtori said:
Any guitar play thread should have Steve Vai in it. Man was and probably is a genius with the six stringed devil.

But he's such a cock, and loses all cred points.

Anything by Kirk Hammet and Yngwie Malmsteen (huge bonus points for Yngwie style)

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Mojo said:
But he's such a cock, and loses all cred points.

Anything by Kirk Hammet and Yngwie Malmsteen (huge bonus points for Yngwie style)

Having met both (and satch) after a G3 show I found it to be totally opposite, Vai was eloquent and polite whereas Malmsteen was a complete arse who looks and acts like he got stuck in 1985 and can't escape. Yes the guy is a terrific player but he loves going through all the old rock cliches during his show and he will often just shred through a song rather than let it breathe like Vai does. His playing talet is undoubtable but he isn't in the same league as Vai when it comes to composition or all round skill. As an all-rounder Nuno blows both of them away, he can play at any level plus he is a decent singer and a great composer.

MKJ

Fledgling Freddie
Seriously...listen to Spoke in the Wheel by Zakk Wylde / Black Label Society! LISTEN TO IT NOW!!!!

Listened to it. That guy could play anything for sure but that isn't finger picking blues - that is acoustic rock or wotever they call it. He is using a pick between thumb and index finger. Finger pickers use picks (or not if their nails are tough enough) on 3 fingers and another type on the thumb - Freddy Kruger style :) ) Still a great player for sure but the piece of music didn't do much for me - must be my age.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
confused said:
Nobody mentioning Hendrix or Clapton?

Thats cause they're all thinking about Hasselhoff and "Hooked on a Feeling"

damn thats some tasty shit!

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Mike Oldfield is actually freakin amazing when he has a go.

harebear

Fledgling Freddie
Ted Nugent - What the doctor orderd
Beneath the massacre - Profitable killcount
Necrophagist - Mutilate the stillborn, the whole song is like a solo heh. The little fill bit at around :20 owns me.
Nevermore - The psalm of lydia, The final product,
Byzantine - Justicia
Avenged Sevenfold - I wont see you tonight
Meshuggah - Future breed machine
Opeth - A fair judgement, When, The twilight is my robe, Forst of october, In mist she was standing
Pantera - Domination, Primal concrete sledge, Im broken, Great southern trendkill, Cowboys from hell
Black Sabbath - Iron man
Lamb of god - What ive become, Ashes of the wake
Dragonforce - Above the winter moonlight
Carcass - Keep on rotting in the free world
Guns n Roses - Paradise city
Reflux - Above the pyramid and the eye
Vital remains - Dechristianize, the sweep picking lead around 2 mins in :-O
Behemoth - Conquer all
'Your demise' by this dutch guy on another forum. http://s65.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1KUFDOYMWB5GR2NV0NPR4Y1TV3
^ first 7 people can download it :p Its a metal instrumental, the drums are programmed.
Pink Floyd - Comfortably numb

Blackjack

Fledgling Freddie
Can't believe no one has mentioned Dave Murray from Iron Maiden

Vladamir

FH is my second home
Hmm, Metallica ones spring to mind for myself, such as;

Master of Puppets, Call of Kthulu (much much better in the S&M set, imo), Fade to Black, and a load of others, favourite solo is dependant on my mood really :p

Sauruman

Loyal Freddie
Hammerfal - Heeding the call : small, but sweet xD
Craddle Of Filth - Hallowed be thy name (Iron Maiden cover) : fucking great "solo", its amazing.
Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Otherside : Not a strong one, but beautiful.

Maybe i'm not mentioning great "solo's" but those songs sure have very good "climax", with guitars =)

Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, S.Morse, Eric Johnson are some great guitar players.

harebear

Fledgling Freddie
Anyone who has not heard Vital remains / Dragon force / Necrophagist / Beneath the massacre / Nevermore should, especially if they are interested in good guitarists. >o

A

Aoln

harebear said:
Anyone who has not heard Vital remains / Dragon force / Necrophagist / Beneath the massacre / Nevermore should, especially if they are interested in good guitarists. >o
Shame about the singing :p

harebear

Fledgling Freddie
Pfft Nevermore / Dragonforce got l33t Iron Maiden style vocals. :p

Bracken

Fledgling Freddie
Hawkwind said:
Ralph Macchio in the film Crossroads ;)

Was he in Crossroads? Don't remember him. I remember Benny, Sandy and Meg (god bless her), but not Ralph. And I don't remember a guitar solo...unless Benny played the banjo one time. In his hat. Oh well, guess it's just me... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom