Graphics + performance woes

Aph3x

Part of the furniture
I have been having a few problems with my old graphics card as its a few years old and not preforming / holding up too well with current games. I bought a new card to increase performance but feel a little let down by it, well alot let down to be honest. Its a Sapphire Radeon HD 3850 card (old one was a nvidia 6800 gt) and when playing Age of Conan i seem to have lost alot of performance.
Newest drivers are installed and have tried all the Catalyst tweaks i can think of to fix these issues but with no luck. This is my current set up

CPU - AMD Athlon XP 3200+
RAM - 2 gig
GPU - ATI Radeon HD 3850
OS Win XP 32bit (SP2)

Any suggestions as to how i can get a better performance from this, im thinking of upping the RAM to 3gig, was hoping for 4 but its too expensive for me to get a 2 gig part as im on old skool 180 odd pin.

Cheers guys and i hope someone can help me out!

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi Aph3x

Your CPU is likely the bottleneck in your computer. Ultimately your computer is only as fast as your weakest component, so it's no good pairing a modern graphics card with an old CPU. If you've optimized your drivers and system settings, then it would seem upgrading your hardware again is the only option.

Unfortunately, your upgrade options may be limited depending on which CPUs your motherboard supports. If that's the case, then you're looking at a new motherboard, CPU, and RAM. You can often find these bundled together from online retailers, but they may not be particularly cheap.

Kind regards

Aph3x

Part of the furniture
I'd feared that would be the responce, im using an Asus KT7-E Mobo which is also old, will see if i can get a decent CPU then as its going to be cheaper than going for a whole new rig.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Are those AGP versions of the graphics cards as well?

Kryten

Old Cow.
You can't get anything quicker for that motherboard, I'm afraid the only way up is a complete replacement. And that includes replacing your new graphics card as well, so if it's something you intend to do you might want to see if you can send it back.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
if it's something you intend to do you might want to see if you can send it back.
It's good advice, Aph3x, since few modern motherboards support AGP. If you can't return it, try eBaying it along with the other components you won't need. Thankfully it doesn't cost too much these days for a modest system, and you should definitely see the speed increase compared to your existing kit.

Kind regards

Kryten

Old Cow.
There's an idea. High performance AGP cards (of which yours is certainly one of the best) are still in demand from other users in similar situations to yourself and still fetch a very good rate second hand.
Definately see if you can get it exchanged or returned though. PCI Express counterparts are often cheaper, but naturally if you do go up to PCI, you'd be daft getting anything other than an 8800GT/9600GT currently.

Aph3x

Part of the furniture
I was planning on getting a 9600 card till i realised the AGP PCIE problem, think i will get in touch with the company who i bought the card from and see if i can send it back, will also have to get saving. I built my current system by buying the parts seperatly would you reccomend doing the same again (as its cheaper) or going for a pre built machine?

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi Aph3x

Usually buying the parts yourself allows for more flexibility and some savings. That said, there are some great low-end pre-built systems these days, so have a shop around and see what you can find.

Kind regards

Aph3x

Part of the furniture
Cheers for the advice, i guess i will get saving up and see what i can afford, going to be a good few weeks before i can afford it but will see what i can do!

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
How long ago did you buy the card, and did you buy it online? As under the Distance Sales you can get your money back (minus delivery) for any purchases you buy on the internet or on the phone for up to 7 working days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom