Confused Graphics Card replacement

Lazarus

Part of the furniture

hi strangers.

looking for a new Gfx card for my machine (or for daughter) and want something better than the one I have (Geforce 9400) 512MB
Needs to be better than this to run SIMS 3 on her machine (or Skyrim on mine
icon_smile.gif
)

too many gfx cards out there to compare - need some technical advice from my "betters"

oh - and needs to be Nvidia plz and it doesnt need to be cutting edge (or to put it another way, Im Scottish so not fecking expensive)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
What sort of budget do you have? Oh, and why not Radeon?

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
no real reason Raven - never ever used ATI in my games machine - so will stick with Nvidia.

budget is small....ideally less than £50

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Ok fair enough. As a price point, I recently upgraded from a Radeon 5750 which ran (for example) Skyrim with everything turned up. They are around £50 atm I think. I am not sure what the Nvidia counterpart is but I imagine most in that price range should be ok.

Maybe have a look at the Nvidia 430 or 440? Though probably better for someone with experience of them to advise you. Overclockers have them at £40ish and £50ish.

Kryten

Old Cow.
By sticking with nVidia at that price range you're just shitting on your own foot then stamping on it with the other. ATI 5570/6570 at that price range is untouchable, but if you really must excrement money, then I'm afraid it's the crap-pits of the rebadged nvidia 520/420.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I used to love nVidia but now prefer AMD and have done for the last 3 graphics cards update. Very happy with my HD 6950 (bios converted to a 6970).

Kryten

Old Cow.
hmm after Raven's post just done a bit more looking up - you can squeeze a 5750 for just about £55 - may be well worth a punt.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
By sticking with nVidia at that price range you're just shitting on your own foot then stamping on it with the other. ATI 5570/6570 at that price range is untouchable, but if you really must excrement money, then I'm afraid it's the crap-pits of the rebadged nvidia 520/420.

well, since you stated that in such an eloquent way, and the fact that I am scottish and tighter than a gnats ass with money, i may peruse some of these on ebay

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
got the option of ASUS HD6750 1Gb GDDR5 for £75, or a SAPPHIRE HD6750 2Gb (i'm assuming that one'll have GDDR3 memory) for £65.

Both brand new.

was thinking of the £65 one

opticle

Part of the furniture
I tend to work out my budget, find the cards that are priced around there and then check the benchmarks on Toms :) Then I spend weeks trying to justify paying £££s more for the one that shits all over them.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Laz, try the classifieds on avforums.com, I got my last gfx card from there, it was only a few months old, came in perfect condition and I've had no issues with it. I saved over £60 on the retail price.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
done the deal guys - wee bit over budget but im reliably informed that I wont be disappointed.
thanks for the help once again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom