Got a REALLY shit machine ?

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
If only more was written in assembler. I can remember back in the 8 bit days and games written in assembly language did things that other programmers could only dream of. Everying is fucking C and bastard stepchilds thereof these days, cobbled together crap that never maximises peformance of the hardware but is easier to code and time = money.

kirennia

Part of the furniture
If only more was written in assembler. I can remember back in the 8 bit days and games written in assembly language did things that other programmers could only dream of. Everying is fucking C and bastard stepchilds thereof these days, cobbled together crap that never maximises peformance of the hardware but is easier to code and time = money.

It is kind of expected though. To convert for example te latest of games which may take 200 people a couple of years to complete would instead take 50 years.... by which time of course the technology is redundant anyway.

If you really wanted performance, it could be written in binary but then you're looking at a similar step again.

Assembly language is only realistically applicable to for short term projects and is nigh on impossible to make a large, component based system with...unless you're working with 200 rainmen.

Ovron

One of Freddy's beloved
Assembly is simply mnemonics to machine code, there's no lower level.

A good C compiler is also as close as you get to doing it in assembly, with easy possibility of doing in-line asm if you want it done differently than the compiler thinks it should be done. The modern compilers do magic optimizations; they are after all written by expert assembly programmers. Blaming bad performance on C is like blaming a car engine for the car going 1 mph when pulled by a donkey.

Assembly still remains the dominating development language in many industries - like embedded devices.

:m00:

/Ovron

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Assembly still remains the dominating development language in many industries - like embedded devices.
Yes it is the main lang for embedded systems with little interaction.

Hell, I remember programming 6502 assembler directly into Emma-II boards for my BTEC ONC Microprocessing course in 1986. I was 13. :)

I might give this OS a go just to see what's it's like. CD run from a USB stick?

Chilly

Balls of steel
assembler is a dying art. I've barely written 1000 lines and expect I probably wont ever have to. Thats what the beardie phds at intel are for :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom