Google pixel

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
So, finally balls deep into phones from Google. But matching the iPhone price point, and without the ip68 you get in the Samsung s7? Big risk. Does look good though, and that camera score.... Wow.

Thoughts?

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Enlighten me on the camera score...

(I have an iPhone 7 Plus in Darth Vader black on order already. How much better?)

Wij

I am a FH squatter

(I have an iPhone 7 Plus in Darth Vader black on order already. How much better?)

Also, what's the difference in the UI on the Pixel? I currently have an iPhone 6 as well as a Nexus 6P and although I prefer the 6P for web-browsing (larger form-factor and I use Firefox with uBlock which I can't on the iPhone) and for Facebook (larger form-factor and faster) I tend to use the iPhone for everything else as the iOS UI is more pleasant and other Apps tend to get updates faster on iOS. E.g. Halifax Mobile Banking App supports fingerprint login now on iOS but not on the 6P, even though it has a better fingerprint reader.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
£599 and £719? Too much.

Previous Google phones have been far easier to justify buying, as they've been decent value for money. Nexus 5 was a bargain at the time (though slightly weaker spec wise), and the Nexus 6P was reasonable value.

Now they've gone into the territory of iPhone pricing - for that I'd have to question if it's really worth that much.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
£599 and £719? Too much.

Previous Google phones have been far easier to justify buying, as they've been decent value for money. Nexus 5 was a bargain at the time (though slightly weaker spec wise), and the Nexus 6P was reasonable value.

Now they've gone into the territory of iPhone pricing - for that I'd have to question if it's really worth that much.

Oooo Ello Stranger!

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
That price.

Everyone lost their shit at the iPhone 7 prices, but somehow these are ok.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Yup, everything apart from the price looks good. The advert I saw is sooooo trying to be an Apple advert. They should've put it out at least $150 cheaper.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!

I've read quite a few review's of the i phone 7 and I'm struggling to see why you'd bother if you've got a 6 already? The 6 is probably the best phone Apple ever produced, and the 7 doesn't offer anything new.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I suppose the days of heavily subsided phones are gone. The top end Sony, htc, Samsung phones are also near or above the 600 mark now. But I'd struggle to justify that, it's why I went for the one plus three.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
I've read quite a few review's of the i phone 7 and I'm struggling to see why you'd bother if you've got a 6 already? The 6 is probably the best phone Apple ever produced, and the 7 doesn't offer anything new.
It's a 7 plus vs a 6 (not s and not plus). 2 generations faster and bigger screen and better camera. Plus it is made from Darth Vader's helmet.

(On his head helmet. Not his bellend)

Wij

I am a FH squatter
I suppose the days of heavily subsided phones are gone. The top end Sony, htc, Samsung phones are also near or above the 600 mark now. But I'd struggle to justify that, it's why I went for the one plus three.
High end phones are Giffen Goods.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I didn't want to mention for fear of really veering off topic but now you're discussing iPhones.... My lovely tame lezza is an apple girl to the extent that she basically IS Steve Jobs. She's deliberately not bought phone version 7, claiming it's pointless. I was shocked. She's bought every phone and pad that was released...until now.

old.user4556

Price is straight retarded.

Totally, that's what gets my goat about the phone world - Apple does some retarded shit and the rest follow, but noone calls them out for it.

old.user4556

Aye, the only reason I need a new phone is that I stupidly got a 6+ in 16GB guise. It's just not enough space, will probably pickup a 6S+ in the new year with a fuck tonne of storage.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I didn't want to mention for fear of really veering off topic but now you're discussing iPhones.... My lovely tame lezza is an apple girl to the extent that she basically IS Steve Jobs. She's deliberately not bought phone version 7, claiming it's pointless. I was shocked. She's bought every phone and pad that was released...until now.

I agree with her. But I've still ordered an iPhone 7 because my 6 is increasingly broken (screen rot). Its only 'cos its a work phone that I'm sticking to Apple; my own money and I wouldn't bother, but I'm not sure this Pixel thing would be the answer either.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Is the camera still shit on it? something about artefacts in bright sunlight. toss up between this and an s7 edge at the moment.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Also, Apple get hassle because they charge premium price for old tech.

Tay

Grumpy old fecker
I'll stick with my iphone 6 for another year or so until some bright spark fixes the battery life on mobiles. Love to have a Pixel for the work phone but not even I can justify those celeb prices for either the iPhone 7 or Pixel.

Next Android will probably me the One Plus 3 refresh this month. Maybe the old One plus 3's will drop in price.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
My IPhone 6 is 1st Gen and due fr replacement but I'm holding out as there is nothing wrong with it after 2 years. The company I work for (very very big co) have banned the purchase of IPhone 7 due to cost, and similarity ;)

Vae

Resident Freddy
I've made the same decision at work. Not buying any iPhone 7's. Sticking to 6S's for now.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
My boss has done exactly the same. He has had every new iPhone since they have been launched through work, this time he isn't bothering as it is pretty much the same.

I'm due a new one, so will look at the Pixel, but I am struggling with the fact it looks just like an iPhone, so will probably go for an XZ or wait for the S8 Edge. Problem is my Z3 still works an absolute charm, so am struggling to justify it on grounds other than "My current phone is 2 years old" :/

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Well, with the current iOS bugs being aplenty (answerphone notifications not appearing, phone app crashing, email intermittency) I'm using my Nexus 6P more the the iPhone 7 at the moment. To be honest the 6P is plenty fast enough already. I'll look at a new Droid next year. When's the Pixel 2?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Honestly, the Pixel is a fabulous phone. I've never owned something so fast or smooth, and the camera is really good. I don't see them improving on it for another year at least. This photo was taken straight out of my pocket, no preparation. I then edited it in the phone app, changing the colours slightly:

IMG_20161126_122725~2.jpg

Yoni

My IPhone 6 is 1st Gen and due fr replacement but I'm holding out as there is nothing wrong with it after 2 years. The company I work for (very very big co) have banned the purchase of IPhone 7 due to cost, and similarity ;)
So Kris' iPhone 5 broke it doesn't charge (his fault he is like death for phones) and his contract time isn't up.. I also wanted to change provider as tre do not let me use data all over Europe and Telenor does... as I spend 50% of my life in Norway, relevant to the decision so I changed to a 7 and I have to say the most noticeable difference is how quick it is :) I wouldn't upgrade from a 6 however from 5 it is viable.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
There are plenty of theories around that Apple pushes updates that deliberately slow down older devices to encourage people to upgrade them...

Yoni

There are plenty of theories around that Apple pushes updates that deliberately slow down older devices to encourage people to upgrade them...
Probably however I put it down to a better chipset and newer tech... I'm not sure they need to go to the effort of deliberately slowing older tech down... higher technical demands of software will do it without extra effort ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom