Google Chrome

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
Just downloaded and first impression are good.

Also, Gee gads! its fast... as in really fast. Pages are definitely coming up much faster that Firefox and IE7

JingleBells

FH is my second home
Just downloaded and first impression are good.

Also, Gee gads! its fast... as in really fast. Pages are definitely coming up much faster that Firefox and IE7

Yeah, it looks pretty decent, couple of bugs related to facebook and what happens when things don't load.

For those wondering WTF we're on about, Google have released Google Chrome, a new webbrowser.

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
Has a few bugs, but then it is beta, Facebook definitely has issues, but reading on it it seems to be built in a way that should put it ahead of the other browsers. Time will tell. But yes, for fast browsing it definitely trumps the other browsers imo.

Had to turn on the home page button in the settings though, and when refreshing a page it will take you to the top of a page and then take you back to where you last were.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
the forum newspage is wrong, compared to FF or IE, but besides that, and as others have mentioned....holy hell it's fast!

Kryten

Old Cow.
I quite like it. Actually, I love it. With the needed work to get it up to scratch, it could be something very special indeed. I'd be much grieved to move from Firefox after having used it for so long, but Chrome seems to just work how you would expect it to.

The features - i.e. applications such as Flash, Java etc executing as needed separately from the page you're viewing is a particularly nice effort and hope to see a lot more like this from Chrome's competitors.

Typing this on Chrome currently, and will be poking it hard with Quake Live a little later on ;)

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Install
Open Gmail
Undock tab
Create application shortcuts

Mmmmmmm, rather sexy

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
ooooo you can click and drag the tabs!

/edit
And the task manager function is good too, can see this being used when designing web site apps.

Control Page > Developer > Task Manager

//edit
Plus "Stats for nerds" in the Task Manger bit! Yay

///edit
Google Chrome
Comic from google explaining it

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Not that impressed tbh. Though there isn't a bad I don't think its that much faster than FF.

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
Idiots.

#1 isnt a bad point. Anyone not enforcing security updates on web browsers these days should be shot.

Anyone enforcing anything on MY PC should be shot.

Embattle

FH is my second home
While it may be slightly OTT the simple fact is Google isn't adverse to collecting data nor pushing it, many need to understand exactly what those terms could mean when it comes to Google.

rynnor

Rockhound
I personally am not keen to see google pushing into browsers - I'd much rather firefox got their share of the market - google are slowly becoming another microsoft Imho.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
I personally am not keen to see google pushing into browsers - I'd much rather firefox got their share of the market - google are slowly becoming another microsoft Imho.

becomming? arent they already?

but i sure as hell aint gonna use that browser. i'm sick and tired of their data collecting as it is.

i dont need to install a dedicated data sniffer to help them...

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Its just the standard gumff from Google accounts, cut'n'paste.

Most of it makes no sense for a browser if you bother reading it.

Of course that makes no difference to the tinfoil hat brigade ;)

Dr_Weasel

One of Freddy's beloved
By god it is quick. If it had mouse gestures Id use it like a shot. But I'm lost without my gestures.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Its just the standard gumff from Google accounts, cut'n'paste.

Most of it makes no sense for a browser if you bother reading it.

Of course that makes no difference to the tinfoil hat brigade ;)

Not quite; These T&Cs basically mean any sysadmin with half a brain is going to ban Chrome from their network. Think about it; the way it reads you're basically giving Google an unlimited copyright licence on anytthing you upload via this browser, and if you don't own the copyright, Google are saying "ah, but you said you did, so its not our fault and we'll use it anyway". Legal minefield. I seem to remember AOL trying this back in the day and getting a kicking for it.

Never mind a tinfoil hat, I'll go for the all-over tinfoil bodysuit as well.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
You guys are all being a bit Cryptofacist about this.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
You guys are all being a bit Cryptofacist about this.

Not really. my point isn't about what individuals do; if you want to give Google more information about yourself, be my guest; but when you're on a corporate network you may be uploading things that you as an individual don't own (say you're a web admin on an e-commerce site for instance), but Google's Ts&Cs say "we can have that"; therefore from a legal and common sense perspective, sensible corporates won't allow Chrome. And what the fuck is "cryptofascist" about it anyway?

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Not really. my point isn't about what individuals do; if you want to give Google more information about yourself, be my guest; but when you're on a corporate network you may be uploading things that you as an individual don't own (say you're a web admin on an e-commerce site for instance), but Google's Ts&Cs say "we can have that"; therefore from a legal and common sense perspective, sensible corporates won't allow Chrome. And what the fuck is "cryptofascist" about it anyway?

Watch more red dwarf you smeghead :)

feign

Fledgling Freddie
It's fast, feels stable and is open source, so FF should be able to use it to develop a multi-thread version if they feel so inclined. Google remain one of the biggest financial contributors to Mozilla, something they renewed only a few weeks ago I seem to have read.

Personally, it grabbed me in a way Safari totally failed to, has a clean design and it feels fast. The few people I know who've beta'ed the 2nd build of M$ explorer 8 are much less impressed.

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
Its still Beta! so I wouldn't judge its T&Cs and everything on how it is now, it wasn't even meant to be released for Beta yet, but their comic leaked out so they decided to release it before the tin foil interweb world went nuts.

Bob007

Prince Among Men
Not something am gonna use, I like to much FF does :) but i can't deny its speed. I ran some tests on it and FF here and the difference wasn't something you could say was insignificant. Chrome coming in at nearly 1.8x as fast as FF.

Code:
TEST                   COMPARISON            Firefox               Chrome             DETAILS

=============================================================================

** TOTAL **:           1.77x as fast     4685.2ms +/- 1.8%   2645.4ms +/- 0.5%     significant

=============================================================================
Full report can be found here

I know its not the be all and end all of browser useage tests, but some intresting numbers none the less.

Would recommend you try it yaself.

Sticking with FF tho ;) <puts foil hat back on>

Edit, Done off two clean installs on my laptop. Default installs on both. Thought i'd do it on same clean OS while am formating it.

Kryten

Old Cow.
I think it's an excellent showcase of how browsers could/should be though - working that quickly, with that level of reliability and those features, it shows what we've been missing with both FF and IE.

Would be nice to see a version of FF running like that minus the EULA and it's repercussions ;)

Huw_Dawson

Fledgling Freddie
I LOVE this thing. Love love love love love. :p

Hoping for a Linux version soon!

- Huw

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom