good mobo+cpu recommendation?

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Putting together some new systems for ze office, not really sure whats good/price effective atm.

No need for super ding dong bing bong specs, just something w/ decent price-performance.

Have specced the rest of the stuff out, just sooo much crap in the cpu/mobo ranges atm.

Argh w/ thread title, I meant CPU not psu :p

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
How cheap, and how long are you going to have to provide similar systems.

I hate to say this, but someone like dell will probably do it cheaper and easier!

Kryten

Old Cow.
Are they just for office use then?
If so, you won't go too far wrong with something like a gigabyte P35-S3G with a dual core Intel e4300. Only basic but the pair should cost you under a ton and gives you plenty of scope for improvement further down the line. It will however need a dedicated graphics card, but they're easy and cheap :)

There doesn't seem to be any, or any amount of p35 chipset boards with onboard graphics though, which may be preferable in an office environment.
Plenty of AMD kit though which will certainly be worth a look, again you'll get the whole lot for well under £100 and plenty of boards around with AM2 processor support and onboard graphics.

Will hate to say it too but inactionman isn't far off the truth. I posted a couple of linkes on This Week's Hot Purchases thread, entire system for £130.

Here we go:

BigPockets.co.uk :: IQON QUINTAL 2021VX - Intel Celeron D 2.8Ghz, 512Mb, 160Gb HDD & Vista £124.99
Plenty in stock :)

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Kryten, there are no P35's with onboard graphics, you need the G33 (which is the P35 with onboard graphics, minus a PCI-E slot and a few lanes).

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Yes, for office use.

One is for a monkey ( phone+email+word ) the other is for new programmer dude so it doesnt need to be that much higher spec but bleh.

Hate to say it but inactionman is correct, dell is a pretty darn good option for what I want ( works out about £50 cheaper w/ a couple extra things than I would have got anyhoo ).

Kryten

Old Cow.
Those Iqon machines not quite the spec you're after then?

Aye, it was the G33 I was hunting for, inactionman, but not many really decent ones around. I don't like recommending something that doesn't offer a natural upgrade path, and lack of a 16 lane PCIe slot would be a large hinderance imo.

Hmm, just looked at those Dell Vostro 200 towers, not really half bad for the price and do offer a fairly decent upgrade path. A lot of the morons posting "reviews" on that site are miffed that they don't support legacy PS2 keyboard & mice and IDE, and those are the only "cons" most of them are listing!

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Does the G35/G45 not interest you Kryt? Think that has on-board graphics and a full x16 pci-express slot. The G45 isn't out yet though.

Kryten

Old Cow.
inactionman : in complete honesty I've not seen or used any G35/45 series boards, and have heard very, very little about them; I'll have a good read up on them a little later on today and get a feel for what they are. Obviously I'm not going to recommend something I've not heard of myself, but that's just me not being able to get my hands on every bit of hardware that comes out :D

End of the day though, all they appear to be at first glance is onboard graphics enabled versions of the P series counterparts, so they're not going to be particularly bad boards either way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom