Good ADSL Wireless Routers?

`mongoose

One of Freddy's beloved
'Lo All

After about 3.5 weeks of random NTL disconnections and about 10 phone calls, an engineers visit and shed loads of irritation to boot, I've decided enough is enough.

I've binned NTL and have ordered a new bb connection from Plus.net.

My problem now is that I have numerous wireless devices in the house and will no longer be able to use my very reliable linksys cable router.

I've installed a few adsl wireless routers at friend's houses and generally they seem flakier than a lepper colony.

Are there any reputable brands to look for? I've seen some good reviews of some of the 3com kit, has anyone got any experience of their routers?

Cheers
M

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
I've got a Netgear DG834G, not had any problems with it. I've had 2 SpeedTouch routers in the past, they have also been yummy.

`mongoose

One of Freddy's beloved
the problem is - the netgear cable wireless router that i had was total utter gash....

I kinda worry about them as a brand after that :s

M

Deadmanwalking

Fledgling Freddie
Linksys, you used them for cable so why not stick with em if you are happy?

All my stuff here is Linksys, wireless laptops, print servers, routers the lot. Wired and wireless.

That or the above said netgear.

`mongoose

One of Freddy's beloved
well I was going to go to do just that but I've seen some customer reviews saying that some of the new linksys ADSL routers have disconnection issues due to overheating, along with other dodgy shenanigans....

The other thing is - I have a chance to try something new out so I wanted to see if there was something better than what I currently have.... there's tons of people on here who have wireless routers and the what not - I was wondering if I might have missed a trick or a decent router....

M

Deadmanwalking

Fledgling Freddie
Well like i said just that. I have a linksys Wireless-g router and it works excellently. No problems what so ever. And before that i had the netgear one mentioned above, Again no problems.

Till someone spilt coffee all over it :(

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
Step away from the D-link. Have a ADSL wireless D-link router that it terrible, its connected to a Wireless G Linksys router that has never given me problem. All my stuff is going to be Linksys from now on.

`mongoose

One of Freddy's beloved
kk guys

Can you furnish me the model number of the linksys routers that you're using please?

Ta

M

Penguin

Fledgling Freddie
I have a linksys wireless router/modem and it's hardly usable, anyone who uses the computer a decent ammount would find it hell. It didn't come with any software and windows software causes problems - When windows checks that the internet connections still working it actually cuts the connection for that pc (If you don't use the net for 5 minutes or something i forget). This results in either waiting 1/2 an hour for it to return, hitting the "repair" button 5-10 times (varys) or restarting the pc 5-10 times Or resetting the network box and disrupting all users.

Then we move onto the router itself which has terrible problems, it overheats and this is pure hell, i actually have a massive fan pointing directly at this beast just to keep it working. If i turn the fan off, give it an hour or so and the network needs resetting.

The signals weak and we're lucky to even get a "Moderate" or "Good" signal, even in this tiny open house with tiny walls. It's often on "Very Low", "Limited Connectivity" or "Low" except the one computer which sits directly next to the box and manages "Excellent".

I may be one in a million to experience this problem but it's a real pain and i've finally given up - New router time for me.

Haha, isn't that typical.. in the time it took me to type this out the connections gone -

Edit:

We also have linksys wireless network cards.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
My advice is to go for one that matches your NIC or whatever. You can in fact get speed gains when using matched manufacturers as anything above 54Mbps tends to be proprietory.

One non-recommendation is to avoid Belkin, they have some very attractive 124Mbps gear but I use the NICs and they suck, its more to do with the device drivers and networking software, but something to avoid all the same.

Netgear seem reasonable, all the rest of their kit I have used, hubs, WAPs, bridges, and it's fine.

Clown

Part of the furniture
I had a Linksys PCI wireless card. It was anus.

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Got a linksys WAG54G, it works fine - I get excellent signal strength everywhere.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Clown said:
Netgear DG834G, I use it.

I use that one goosey^^^^^^its great, read the reviews on it.

`mongoose

One of Freddy's beloved
Thanks for the help folks

I'm currently umming and ahhing over the following choices :)
3-com adsl wireless router.
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=82066

Netgear DG834GT
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=83435

US Robotics
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=59165

They're all within £50 of each other and well within budget considering that their under £100.

My PC will connect via a wired connection so that's no bother, I guess I'm really looking at wireless for my wife's pc, my Creative Wireless music mp3 streaming thingy and the works lappy when it goes home.

All 3 seem to have similar reviews, with the 3com jobby being slightly more difficult to setup (needs a firmware update out of the box). I had a US robotics modem back in my quakeworld days and it was the most trouble free bit of kit I ever owned, so I am leaning more towards the US robotics jobby as it also has some very nice features.

I'll let you know wot i get and how it performs

M

Penguin

Fledgling Freddie
Danya said:
Got a linksys WAG54G, it works fine - I get excellent signal strength everywhere.

I'm pretty sure thats the one i'll have but i'll check the number. It's poop, awful signal and network always goes down.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
`mongoose said:
Thanks for the help folks

I'm currently umming and ahhing over the following choices :)
3-com adsl wireless router.
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=82066

Netgear DG834GT
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=83435

US Robotics
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=59165

They're all within £50 of each other and well within budget considering that their under £100.

My PC will connect via a wired connection so that's no bother, I guess I'm really looking at wireless for my wife's pc, my Creative Wireless music mp3 streaming thingy and the works lappy when it goes home.

All 3 seem to have similar reviews, with the 3com jobby being slightly more difficult to setup (needs a firmware update out of the box). I had a US robotics modem back in my quakeworld days and it was the most trouble free bit of kit I ever owned, so I am leaning more towards the US robotics jobby as it also has some very nice features.

I'll let you know wot i get and how it performs

M

I had the Netgear one, it was a piece of shit, always dying on me. Swapped it for a D-Link DSL-G604T, which still isn't perfect, but a lot better than the Netgear.

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
Well I've had Linksys, Netgear, 3com and SpeedTouch stuff. None of them have ever had any problems. A friend of mine has a d-link thing that he says is a PoS.

There are numerous versions of the netgear thing, the latest is v2 and is much better than the original (new firmware etc, updated schiznit) as noted in quite a few reviews.

Dweller

Fledgling Freddie
I've currently got the linksys WAG54G which Danya and Penguin mentioned, but a quick google will show you a whole heap of problems people have had with it. Mine has a tendency to overheat, causing it to drop the wireless connection, which requires a reset in order to restart.

I'm looking at switching to a NetGear, had one of those in the past and was very happy with it. From the reviews I've read, the DG834G is a very stable product, but the DG834GT has some issues, again, google for it, and you'll see a fair number of complain about it dying on them after a couple of months.

Clown

Part of the furniture
Mine is on a shelf somewhere in the hallway. It's very dusty and people keep knocking the plug so it's hanging from the router itself rather than sitting next to it. It's ALWAYS on unless we have a power cut. Reliable? Yes sir.

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
Mines been up for 35 days atm, only reason it was reset last was I upg.'d the firmware to get some VPN stuff :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom