Football Goal line technology!!!

Should goal line technology be implemented?

• Total voters

Bahumat

FH is my second home
It is basically luck when the ball bounces in and out of the goal and over time luck will average out.

Sorry but this is utter crap! hyou can't use that because conditions dictate the severity of the mistake.

"average out"

Scenario: Brazil in a world cup friendly score a goal and it was not actually a goal.

Brazil are now in the world cup final and they lose the game because a goal they scored was not accepted by the referee. It clearly was a goal, but the referee did not see and does not count it.

How is that "averaging out" to any use? Yeah you're correct the chance of it happening for/against you has evened out, but the fact is one goal was meaningless, the other costs you a world cup!

Oh and as for anyone who says "oh but what are the chances of that happening". There IS a chance (however small) it could happen as extreme as this so I am strongly against your comments on this.

Lethul

FH is my second home
I think it's amazing that it hasn't been introduced yet :p

Only a matter of time tho I think.

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
Sorry but this is utter crap! hyou can't use that because conditions dictate the severity of the mistake.

"average out"

Scenario: Brazil in a world cup friendly score a goal and it was not actually a goal.

Brazil are now in the world cup final and they lose the game because a goal they scored was not accepted by the referee. It clearly was a goal, but the referee did not see and does not count it.

How is that "averaging out" to any use? Yeah you're correct the chance of it happening for/against you has evened out, but the fact is one goal was meaningless, the other costs you a world cup!

Oh and as for anyone who says "oh but what are the chances of that happening". There IS a chance (however small) it could happen as extreme as this so I am strongly against your comments on this.

That will still average out over time. You might win one world cup because of it and then 20 years later lose a world cup because of it. Just because the matches happen more infrequently doesn't mean it won't average out.

Also your argument is very dangerous. In a world cup final any decision is much more important that in a qualifying match. Why have just goal line technology? Why not replay on penalty decisions, red and yellow cards, etc?

You cannot change how a match is refereed due to type of match because you will change the nature of the game. The fact remains goal line technology would be difficult and expensive to introduce and bring tiny benefits to the game.

leviathane

Part of the furniture
The amount of money there is in football you'd think they'd be able to develope something that works.

soze

I am a FH squatter
That will still average out over time. You might win one world cup because of it and then 20 years later lose a world cup because of it. Just because the matches happen more infrequently doesn't mean it won't average out.

Also your argument is very dangerous. In a world cup final any decision is much more important that in a qualifying match. Why have just goal line technology? Why not replay on penalty decisions, red and yellow cards, etc?

You cannot change how a match is refereed due to type of match because you will change the nature of the game. The fact remains goal line technology would be difficult and expensive to introduce and bring tiny benefits to the game.

Because a goal line decision can be done with no negative impact. 2 years ago they had a working prototype with Rfid on the post and the ball has a special material under the leather. When it passed the line it lit up a light above the goal. There is no stoppage in play light on = goal light off no goal. Penalty Offside ect all need the game to be stopped and video reviewed hence have a negative impact and is open to interpretation by the 4th official.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
As it is now, rules are able to be bent, or circumvented if one is "lucky" enough. That makes the game somewhat unpredictable, may be not fair as it should. If they implemented a tech that made it possible to detect a goal/corner/off-side with 100% accuracy, i don't think the game would be as interesting for us viewers but more fair to the players. So there is a balance question, i guess there wouldn't be a champions league etc if there weren't any viewers. I guess i am neutral on this one.

soze

I am a FH squatter
You only watch football because there is a chance a ball crosses the line but a goal is not given? I would not have believed for one second that is the reason some people watch 90 minutes of football.

Bahumat

FH is my second home

I don't agree with your acceptance of this. Yeah, lets say Brazil lose a world cup cause of it, then 20 years later they win because of it, it's still of no use to the team who lost 20 years ago.

Player: Oh my god, that was a goal, that blind referee cost us the world cup final.
Manager: Oh don't worry, in 20 years luck will swing our nations way. Don't worry that you unfairly lost your chance at a winners medal cause some guy in the future will average out.

Calo

Part of the furniture
You only watch football because there is a chance a ball crosses the line but a goal is not given? I would not have believed for one second that is the reason some people watch 90 minutes of football.

ofcourse! i mean, not like there are nice actions by players or nice goals..
Its all about the chance that a goal is in and isn't given..

Boy i really hope barca will have a few of those this year. would be a top year for them!

JingleBells

FH is my second home
No, because seeing Neil Warnock getting pissed off is the best thing in football

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
If Palace lose out on promotion this year for example on goal difference, then how does that even out? The fans, and employee of the club are not going to be reconcolled by the fact that maybe things will even out because of karma. You are talking about a lot of money and extra jobs at these clubs that is lost over something that is entirely fixable by technology.

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
Because a goal line decision can be done with no negative impact. 2 years ago they had a working prototype with Rfid on the post and the ball has a special material under the leather. When it passed the line it lit up a light above the goal. There is no stoppage in play light on = goal light off no goal. Penalty Offside ect all need the game to be stopped and video reviewed hence have a negative impact and is open to interpretation by the 4th official.

You could equally design a system which would automatically tell if somebody is offside. When the ball is played the linesman pushes a button and the machine checks the exact location of the players and light comes on if anyone is offside. There is no stoppage in play, light on = offside, light off = onside.

Goals that are "offside" are disallowed/allowed in far more games than when the ball bounces in and out. Something like this should be implemented before goal line technology.

leviathane

Part of the furniture
Well if were to develope a system for one thing then surely it wouldnt be hard to do the other. For the offside rule it could be a simple device in the players shirts.

soze

I am a FH squatter
You could equally design a system which would automatically tell if somebody is offside. When the ball is played the linesman pushes a button and the machine checks the exact location of the players and light comes on if anyone is offside. There is no stoppage in play, light on = offside, light off = onside.

Goals that are "offside" are disallowed/allowed in far more games than when the ball bounces in and out. Something like this should be implemented before goal line technology.

That still means the linesmen has to push a button so can have human error, a ball crossing the line is pure technology gives instant results and have zero down side.

I like i idea of fixing offsides but it should not be used to cloud this simple problem.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
If Palace lose out on promotion this year for example on goal difference, then how does that even out? The fans, and employee of the club are not going to be reconcolled by the fact that maybe things will even out because of karma. You are talking about a lot of money and extra jobs at these clubs that is lost over something that is entirely fixable by technology.

:iagree:

Jarahl

Can't get enough of FH
Personally I like the "random" factor in football, but on the other side I sometimes scream and goes insane when the Ref doesn't give a clear penalty etc...

But I do believe this would benefit the sport, the Ref isn't perfect, but when the ball crosses the line, the scoring team shouldn't be cheated of this goal because of a human mistake.

Genedril

Part of the furniture
Because people can live with human error on other decisions, and often on fouls there is always doubt as to intention etc, a ball crossing the line is not something that should be open to debate in the game.

Well to take the offside example:

My mate, who's a City fan (poor him), reckons that one of their goals against Palace was incorrectly ruled offside. So why would you have a system that checks the 'rightness' of a goal & not an offside if it led to a goal? If the Palace goal had stood & then the City goal was still ruled offside then would City be right to demand a replay?

Just an example - as a Forest fan it means very little to me unless City consign us to the lower leagues by 1 point at the end of the season. Then again if that happened then the problem still wasn't that goal but the non-performance of Forest over the season (which is always a possibility).

I'm not against the use of video evidence - I feel it works really well in rugby union (or 'proper' rugby as I like to call it ;) ).

Zede

Part of the furniture
Answer is simple, have professional refs, not ones who are plumbers/teachers as a day job. & they payed an absolute pittance too.

Would you wanna be a severly underpaid & unappreciated ref when you get that sorta shit ? for 95% of the time they do a good job, but 95% is not acceptable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom