Football Goal line technology!!!

Should goal line technology be implemented?

• Total voters

soze

I am a FH squatter
yes sensors in the ball that inform the ref when it passes the goal line would not harm the game at all. No reason not to implement this other than the technology is not there but that seems hard to believe.

I also wonder how many mangers would ask the team to do the right thing and give the goal back?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
The argument is that even a tiny sensor could interfere with the ball. Not that they really need them, cameras on the goal line would work too, much like tennis/cricket.

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
Anyone got a decent link to the said goal? The youtube vid of it is laggy and I can't see what's going on

soze

I am a FH squatter
The argument is that even a tiny sensor could interfere with the ball. Not that they really need them, cameras on the goal line would work too, much like tennis/cricket.

Cameras would not work unless the ball went out of play no one wants to see play stopped for a minute while a video is watched a sensor on the ball is the answer.

Marc

FH is my second home
I remember when Bolton had to draw to send everton down. They had a clear goal disallowed cos the ref said it never crossed the line, which it did, by a long way and because of that, they got relegated and not everton.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
If you actually look into the technology, you'll see that it's based on iron filings embedded in the material of the ball itself.
There is a coil under the line that emits an electromagnetic field.
The iron filings in the ball perturb the field, inducing a current proportional to the amount of ball above the wire.
The sensors are actually attached to the coil and measure the electric current that's induced by the iron filings in the ball moving through the magnetic field. The profile shows a rise, then a fall in current, meaning that more than half the ball has passed over the line i.e. a goal.

This is a patent from 1994 for the system...
Tennis ball to line location - US Patent 5303915 Description

Then there's the Hawkeye system that traces exactly where the ball is at any moment. It's used in tennis, snooker and cricket. FIFA expressed an interest in this technology 2 years ago...
Hawk-Eye set to extend its influence to contested goals | Football - Times Online

Genedril

Part of the furniture
Too much of football relies on a human snap decision to go with sensor if you ask me. To just do it for the goal line ignores the other areas (offsides / off the ball incidents / did the ball cross any of the other lines etc). If you were going to do it for all or approach it like rugby then fair enough but with people saying it would have an impact on the 'flow' of the game then I can't see how you can just go for that one area.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Because people can live with human error on other decisions, and often on fouls there is always doubt as to intention etc, a ball crossing the line is not something that should be open to debate in the game.

Marc

FH is my second home
If you actually look into the technology, you'll see that it's based on iron filings embedded in the material of the ball itself.
There is a coil under the line that emits an electromagnetic field.
The iron filings in the ball perturb the field, inducing a current proportional to the amount of ball above the wire.
The sensors are actually attached to the coil and measure the electric current that's induced by the iron filings in the ball moving through the magnetic field. The profile shows a rise, then a fall in current, meaning that more than half the ball has passed over the line i.e. a goal.

This is a patent from 1994 for the system...
Tennis ball to line location - US Patent 5303915 Description

Then there's the Hawkeye system that traces exactly where the ball is at any moment. It's used in tennis, snooker and cricket. FIFA expressed an interest in this technology 2 years ago...
Hawk-Eye set to extend its influence to contested goals | Football - Times Online

Thanks for the science lesson!!! :D

Wonk

Can't get enough of FH
how often does these goals happen? once every 5th year? shouldn't they spend money on something else?

soze

I am a FH squatter
If it could be that when the ball crosses the line it vibrates the Refs watch like the linesmen can it would have no negative effect on the game there would be no more arguments just a instant yes or no.

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
Football is painfully far behind on tech. The stuff they use in cricket is fucking amazing.

Something as simple as using video replays for stuff like penalty or offside decisions would make a huge difference. I couldn't care less about disrupting the flow of the game. Referees are getting worse, or the game is getting more difficult to referee. Something needs to be done either way -_-

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Well to be fair in cricket they take so fucking long to do anything they probably have time to recreate the scene in lego.

Aph3x

Part of the furniture
As much as I enjoy watching Neil Warnock rant I think its about time FIFA and UEFA finally pulled there collective fingers out of there arses and tell the world to go ahead.

Imagine the outcry if with 5 mins left in the world cup final next year with the game at 1-1 there is a goal which crosses the line and the ref doesnt allow it. Will be scandalous

ilaya

Can't get enough of FH
well world cup finals... it hapened.. 1966...

but the palace goal was so blatantly in... not suprised warnock blew his stack... when the ENTIRE crowd behind the goal cheer.. and the ref doesnt give it?... something wrong... takes what.. 10 secs to get a referral for a goal? aint like cricket when its a catch close to the ground or a nick to the slips which may have come off the pad

if we had it back in 86... just a little bit of it.. maradona hand of god... they coulda... had the tech... but didnt

Marc

FH is my second home
TBH, I love it in Rugby League. The tension while you wait for the video refs decision is ace. But of course, they sometimes even get it wrong after watching the video replay, which is worrying

Madmaxx

FH is my second home
think the europa league and some uefa ppl are trying out 2 extra referee's on the goal line, to the right of the goal's. I think that might work even for penalty's and there's no technology needed.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I heard that one ref behind each goal just for penalty box incidents.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
think the europa league and some uefa ppl are trying out 2 extra referee's on the goal line, to the right of the goal's. I think that might work even for penalty's and there's no technology needed.

The problem that has been raised is that there are not enough referee's in the game at the moment, at any level, how exactly would the football associations of the world provide for two extra referees for each match? It's more costly than using technology, Platini and Blatter need to look past their dislike of technology here.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
All this goal line stuff would be great, however it'd be expensive (i assume?) to upgrade every stadium?

Why cant they just show a replay like in Rugby. Maybe even have a camera that spends the whole match recording the goal line?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
The cost is probably the same bahu, you'd need probably 4 cameras for each stadium as opposed to special balls and sensors. The sensor tech would be instant and not slow the game down, cameras would require review.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
The cost is probably the same bahu, you'd need probably 4 cameras for each stadium as opposed to special balls and sensors. The sensor tech would be instant and not slow the game down, cameras would require review.

Yeah fair point. Which ever is cheapest really. The lower league clubs should have it, but I realise they probably don't have money to burn like the big clubs. Maybe the FA could help the lower league clubs.

Either way something should be done.

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
It shouldn't be introduced. There are two reasons for this:
1) It doesn't happen very often
2) When it does happen the players don't mean it to happen.

If you use technology to replace a human decision you need to be very confident that the technology is doing what you think it is. If the new technology makes just one mistakes nobody will ever trust it again. This is where the fact that it doesn't happen very often comes in. This is something that might happen only once every 20 games. If you look at something like Tennis or Cricket, Hawk Eye gets hundreds of balls to calibrate itself. You can be confident it is doing what it says because you can compare it to any one of the previous points. Also if there is a problem then it is likely to be noticed before it has to be relied upon.

The second point relates to the fact that introducing this technology doesn't actually help anyone. Its not like Tennis where players aim to get the ball to land as close to the line as possible. It is basically luck when the ball bounces in and out of the goal and over time luck will average out.

Finally I should point out that the technology suggested so far is not actually up to the job. The ball doesn't have to bounce in order for it to go in and out of the goal. There are plenty of times when there has been a goal line clearance but the player doing it was standing behind the line at the time. It would be technically quite challenging to make a system that could accurately pin point the location of the ball in the air.

soze

I am a FH squatter
If they used technology like an rfid scanner that only sounds when 100% of the ball has passed the sensor then it does not matter where in the goal it is. And it does not matter if the players mean it or not imo if it can be fixed with no negative impact why not fix it.

Marc

FH is my second home
The problem that has been raised is that there are not enough referee's in the game at the moment, at any level, how exactly would the football associations of the world provide for two extra referees for each match? It's more costly than using technology, Platini and Blatter need to look past their dislike of technology here.

Once again, rugby league is well ahead of the game. We already have 2 refs in the australian league.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom