GOA: What are you doing to fight the lag?

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
you got to remember if goa had the intelligence to route their servers in the same place they did for the goa servers which also seems to be the same place for the wow servers thats a lot of load going through a area.

But the odd thing is i dont have lag or anything which i can notice as lag, it maybe just hidden.

i am running through orange who in the past have screwed me up.

Orange are pure evil, if you play their hold message backwards i swear it says "Welcome to hell, have a shitty day".

thergador

Fledgling Freddie
might be more usefull for those doing ping plots with lag issue when they hit scenarios to use wireshark or another network monitoring tool this means you can see whats really happening at the packet. and thus find out what the really problem is

the reason i say this is a ping plot isn't going to help as if your only getting lag in some situation a ping plots not going to show you whats happening unless its capturing at the time your lagging

there are some other tools that can be used but they take some network monitoring knowledge to set up.

but i suspect its a few issues rather than just the one
1st being load balancing
2nd being poor coding (trying to monitor buffs/debuffs and combat ineffectively )
3rd being poor routing algorithms
4th its a new game and they still have bugs they need to iron out

Hammahead

Fledgling Freddie
This has been pissing me off since forever.
SC's are awfull sometimes, other times they are smooth.
Pretty sure its because of soddy netcode or server client.
And im 99% sure this is why they didnt include an ingame latency bar ;(
And FPS counter for that matter, this game runs like shit on most high end machines.

Fefner

Can't get enough of FH
got to agree with the SC/BG lag. I found tier2 very smooth but i went in tier3 last night and its was jumpy, so i changed settings and still jumpy. I've got a top end spec pc so i know its not that. I wonder if the servers will even handle a capital city raid when its lagging in a 12vs12 BG, whats it gonna be like when its 200vs200 or even more.

Bone_Idle

Fledgling Freddie
I guess its just a case of tough shit for you then. I've just had another couple of hours lag free and CTD free, although a guildie did crash during a PQ. As I keep saying, I have to go down the same net pipes as you, I have to connect via GOA the same as you, so can you please explain to me why I'm having a near perfect lag-free experience and you are not?

Am I getting preferential treatment from GOA or something?

You play on Axe Bites Pass, we play on KEP.

Thats why you're not having problems.

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
Any chance of a reply from GOA on this issue?

LOL - of course not.

I've reported this problem multiple times via the in-game tool, and the first e-mail reply told me to check my firewall, but the last e-mail told me it was a "known issue".

mgX

Fledgling Freddie
i just find it funny that sometimes instant spells takes like 5 secs to cast (they even show a casting bar ! :p) not sure tehre is a debuff that does this, but last night it was awful right when i entered the scenario....

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
i just find it funny that sometimes instant spells takes like 5 secs to cast (they even show a casting bar ! :p) not sure tehre is a debuff that does this, but last night it was awful right when i entered the scenario....

Same happens with (insta) melee attacks. My attacks at times have a cast bar filling up to 3-5 seconds :D

Think I'll make some alt chars on other servers and see if it is better there.

Plank

Fledgling Freddie
Obviously not saying theres not something amiss here but on most servers i try, not the busy 6 tho, theres no lag to speak of in scenarios etc.
Im in Scotland and on a crap 1mb line so its not that side of things. Ive never had trouble on even 8peaks. Tried it last night and nigth before and did several scenarios over the evening so go figure lol.

I was in NA mythic beta as an elder tester and when we did the end game stuff and city raids we only had a few problems with vid lag and peoples comps.Even to states i wasnt getting server lag and graphically with a quad core and a 8800gtx i was in triple figures at times for fps.Id suggest some folk need to clean the pr0n off their comps and sort out drivers and stuff then try again.

Mythic/EA again picked GOA for some god only knows reasosn . GOAs track record of server stability and data corruption should have shown that they arent to be trusted. So any faults that we get i cant say i will be surprised.

Heta

Fledgling Freddie
Mythic/EA again picked GOA for some god only knows reasosn . GOAs track record of server stability and data corruption should have shown that they arent to be trusted. So any faults that we get i cant say i will be surprised.

I'm not so chocked with EA/Mythics choice to go with GOA again

what really chocks me is so did I... I know it was wrong, but still I did it, kinda like going a2m

Stazbumpa

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah, I had even severe desyncs at 3 am, with two players fighting one mob.

Go figure. Maybe you should play more to have an opinion?

I've been playing a lot, since open beta actually. Tonight I had a mild lag hiccup somebody was in front of me who apparantly wasn't, but beyond that its plain sailing as per susual. None of my guildies are reporting any trauma either.

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
For the record I'm using Nildram, who are expensive but about as far from crap as you are going to get. I hear Force 9 are also very good and cheaper.

You do know Nildram are essentially Pipex now don't you? I saw such a downturn in performance and support that I moved away after 7 years with them :(

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Yday in Tier2 was next to impossible to play, got some glitches in Tier1 also but bearable. Talking about scenarios ofc.

Litmus

Resident Freddy
Guys, stop telling lies about the lag we have every night, its obviously false because Stazbumpa doesnt get any lag....

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
I had an interesting experience last night. We did some open field RvR which had been planned in advance. No noticable lag. Went into a scenario and I could hardly play from lag. Now I don't know if there was a memory leak building that ultimately caused the lag or of it was directly scenario related.

Something to think about:

Scenarios are instanced, created on a per-needed basis (wee bit of an assumption here, but I don't think I'm wide of the mark). The servers are virtual. One of the key features Virtualisation is over-committing resources, the theory being you are hardly ever going to have all your VMs using up all the resources at the same time. However, poor planning / design can lead to overcommitting resources that are hitting high usage far too often.

So what I'm wondering is if the servers running the scenarios are over-committed but the usage is higher than expected, so the physical resources are being stressed when there are a lot of scenarios running.

Likewise, the base servers themselves could be overcommitted - too many Virtual Servers hitting high usage on too few physical devices capable of handling the load (load being network traffic and server memory usage in this case; somehow I don't think disk usage is likely to be a big factor unless their SAN is really shit).

In theory then all you have to do is throw some extra physical hardware at it, move some VMs off onto the new hardware and hey presto, your server load is reduced and in theory the net effect is that lag gets cut out.

Purists may shout at me the way I kinda skip around there but essentially what we're seeing fits what users generally seem to be saying without having access to load analysis charts from the source systems themselves.

I could of course be dead wrong, and not for the first time :D

Risengrave

Fledgling Freddie
Lag like this is unacceptable, impossible to play well in Scenarios with this kind of stuttering.

To the "knobjockey Stazbumpa" he's probably trolling the boards, maybe he is lucky and isn't getting much in the way of lag, this I do doubt, by the nature of his posts it seems to me he is just stirring the shite..

This is pretty much game breaking, the game is based around PvP, I have no problems in PvE or open RvR just scenarios, they must know what the problem is by now. Things that tend not to get fixed quickly are often because they cost money to fix...

Roo's take on the situation seems plausible to me, struggling servers under load in instanced scenarios.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Dunno if worth pointing out, but the scenario I mention would explain why you also get horrid lag on a low pop server, because its potentially sharing hardware with a high pop server so it doesn't really matter if 5 people log on of an evening, its still on an over committed piece of physical hardware.

aika

Can't get enough of FH
Played a couple of T1 scenarios on Orrud tonight, was no lag at all - dunno if goa changed something, should see tomorrow if this continues

Aqe

One of Freddy's beloved
This must be some server code issue Mythic need to work out. Apparently US server have the same scenario lag and delays that we do.

Sintoxis

Fledgling Freddie
This must be some server code issue Mythic need to work out. Apparently US server have the same scenario lag and delays that we do.

Don't be silly, we all know this is a conspiracy by GOA to get rid of all their players... it's what big businesses do isn't it? :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom