GOA: What are you doing to fight the lag?

Skaven

One of Freddy's beloved
Maybe the scenario's are running on a diffrent server, would make sense - possibly certain ones are falling over somewhat with the load.

bronnac

Fledgling Freddie
Maybe the scenario's are running on a diffrent server, would make sense - possibly certain ones are falling over somewhat with the load.

I dont wanna throw a spanner in the works but I have major Lag in RvR battles outside of senarios.....

..Senarios are absolutly fine! no lag at all.

I tried different graphics settings to check whether it was "Graphics Lag" but performace doest change for the better or worse...its just the same...shit.

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
I have large latency in Scenarios, was in T2 elves last night could not get of 1 single style. Seems it dont effect all while some destro could attack me fine, while others seemed to have same problem. Asked in /sc atleast 6 others in there with me had same problem.

Gahn

Resident Freddy
I have large latency in Scenarios, was in T2 elves last night could not get of 1 single style. Seems it dont effect all while some destro could attack me fine, while others seemed to have same problem. Asked in /sc atleast 6 others in there with me had same problem.

It seems to me a problem of load balance on the Servers helding scenarios.

sp4nky

Fledgling Freddie
Well I get lag only in scenario and it is not due to my pc stats or connection;

Pc =
pent quad core 2.4
Ram 4gig
Gfx 2x Geforce 280 1gig (sli)

Network 20Mb Virgin.

I get lag on all settings max and low from all ranges or screnn sizes, they need to get this fixed already making me not want to renew when first month is up. :twak:

Spankya

Fledgling Freddie
I'm getting fedup of this damn lag too as it really screws up the game! The amount of times I have died in pvp because of lag is insane and even in pve I get quite alot of lag. It definately seems to be server lag rather than anything else as like many people I have a good computer and good internet connection.

dee777

Loyal Freddie

Possible, but unlikely to be the problem. I played with Manisch on voicecom on orrud (not heavy load population plus we played during very very odd hours sometimes) in different scenarios and I had no lag whatsoever. We both connect from Berlin but via different providers (versatel vs. arcor) and get different routing to the WAR servers. A third friend who was with us also didnt suffer, but he connected from Dessau.

This has been the same for the last couple of days. It is a problem. Please at least acknowledge that GOA.

Stazbumpa

Fledgling Freddie
So why are some people lagging and others having no problem at all? If the problem was entirely at the GOA end we would all have lag, wouldn't we?

mrbandersnatch

Fledgling Freddie
The problem isn't just the lag (which often looks like server side CPU lag as well as internet latency), its also the client side prediction algorithms and client/server updating of mob/player position altering events. ITS AWFUL!

We've all played FPS games and any FPS game that suffered the problems with WAR as it stands would FAIL and deservingly so. Between this and the levelling speed Im not as nearly impressed with the game as I expected to be :(

Gahn

Resident Freddy
So why are some people lagging and others having no problem at all? If the problem was entirely at the GOA end we would all have lag, wouldn't we?

No it depends if the server are Load Balanced (ofc they are) and how they setup the LB.

Stazbumpa

Fledgling Freddie
We've all played FPS games and any FPS game that suffered the problems with WAR as it stands would FAIL and deservingly so.

With FPS games you generally find another server, so its rarely a problem. Also, people moaning about lag in WAR have very short memories when it comes to game releases.
I have seen many games released, WAR has been more problem free than most other titles in all honesty. If I was having game trauma then, me being me, you would all know about it on here :p

Between this and the levelling speed Im not as nearly impressed with the game as I expected to be :(

If you're bothered about levelling speed then you are playing the game wrong. Stop trying to play it like WoW, because if you do the game will suck.

I'm still interested to know why me and my entire guild have had no problems since open beta, despite the fact I'm routed down the same pipes as you lot and have fight fight my way through the french exchange just like everyone else.
There are also a hell of a lot of other people on WAR who are not having any problems either.

misterjingo

Fledgling Freddie
I have to say that the only time I *sometimes* get lag is in a crowded lord room with lots of action going on.
Outside of that I rarely if ever experience any, even in the biggest zerg situations. I have a powerful PC, which leads me to believe in anything outside of small team PvP action, the game needs something pretty meaty to keep everything running nice and smooth i.e. it's not necessarily server lag causing the issue, but computer based lag.

AngelHeal

Part of the furniture
Only have lag in scenarios, outside there is no problem at all. Even full rvr fights at keeps with 5fg + fighting 5fg wont give troubles,. just scenes.

:<

QQ

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
I get lag now and again, not that often, what i hate is teh warping of mobs, fire a few range spells and then all of a sudden mob is in front of you, try an aoe root and find that the mob is following with the root graphic effect and still hitting me, and nope no dots on mob to break root.

Seems to me that the server cant decide where the mob should be as its processing too many calculations and there is a delay.

:m00:

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
I get lag now and again, not that often, what i hate is teh warping of mobs, fire a few range spells and then all of a sudden mob is in front of you, try an aoe root and find that the mob is following with the root graphic effect and still hitting me, and nope no dots on mob to break root.

Seems to me that the server cant decide where the mob should be as its processing too many calculations and there is a delay.

:m00:

This happens in RvR as well, with players bouncing around and past me. Thinking you are blocking an enemy only to moments later have him long behind you.

Morthomme

Fledgling Freddie
Same problem as most here (connecting from The Neatherlands): pve will run smoothly enough but scenarios are quite a different story i.e. bumpy ride with morals not firing, or seconds later, or only the graphic, sudden hiccups in framerates etc etc.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
get some horrible fps lag in Mourkain Temple on my PC at home - not sure what's causing it (though some have suggested it's the buffs updating).

It's fine on my somewhat beefier work machine so I'm thinking it's something about that scenario, plus the very cramped/crowded fights with everyone present building up to just lag my poor machine out.

Stazbumpa

Fledgling Freddie

I guess its just a case of tough shit for you then. I've just had another couple of hours lag free and CTD free, although a guildie did crash during a PQ. As I keep saying, I have to go down the same net pipes as you, I have to connect via GOA the same as you, so can you please explain to me why I'm having a near perfect lag-free experience and you are not?

Am I getting preferential treatment from GOA or something?

Litmus

Resident Freddy
This is sounding more and more like a continental problem, nobody I know in Britain has any of these problems with WAR. In fact I just finished a 3 hour session with my guild in RvR, keep siege and all. No lag, no CTD, no worries.
A good strong connection to Warhammer is just another reason that being British is awesome :p

And GOA are French, oh the irony :clap:

Well, im from the UK as are some of my guild mates(even the non-uk ones), and we have ALL lagged for the past 5nights in rvr scenieos. Same as random CTD's aswel. So its either a huge concidence or there is a problem with the routeing/servers as far as im concerned.

PS... PvE seems to be lag free which makes me think its more to do with GOA's servers rather then the routeing. Maybe they run the scenerios on seperate servers? or run them at lower priority atleast.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Here i am in Egypt sweating my nuts off and looking forward to getting back on WAR been here a week and not been on the net at all so tonight at 1905 Egypt time i decide to see what is going off.

Sounds like i am not missing much :(

Hope it is sorted for you guys soon.

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
I guess its just a case of tough shit for you then. I've just had another couple of hours lag free and CTD free, although a guildie did crash during a PQ. As I keep saying, I have to go down the same net pipes as you, I have to connect via GOA the same as you, so can you please explain to me why I'm having a near perfect lag-free experience and you are not?

I tried to explain it several times to you.

At the end of the day, I am not GOA, I never touched a core router or analyzed a traffic for such an application like a MMOG, so I don't know.

But it doesn't relieve my doubts about the service, where many are suffering from this, some to the point where they say that it's pointless to extend the subscription while we have no official information on what's going on, no acknowledgement of the problem and no plan to of how to deal with it from GOA.

But fear not, me and others will keep the thread updated and report issues we have while you can repeat that it doesn't affect you and that everything runs fine for you.

Not sure what entitles you to your reverse conclusion that if it works for you it should for everyone, a network is not a string, there is not just a start and an end.

For some reason the route to Warhammer's servers has been changed now, it goes via Telia again like it should and not over the canal, so I guess something (maybe a line card) was broken.

No reason to be happy though, people on the WoW forums are complaing about the same latency issues as we do and lots get routed through Telia...

Argh...

Awarkle

Fledgling Freddie
you got to remember if goa had the intelligence to route their servers in the same place they did for the goa servers which also seems to be the same place for the wow servers thats a lot of load going through a area.

But the odd thing is i dont have lag or anything which i can notice as lag, it maybe just hidden.

i am running through orange who in the past have screwed me up.

Belisar

One of Freddy's beloved

I think the point to remember is that it is not just Manisch that is lagging. Plenty of people seem to be suffering the same.

I lag in scenario's and if it is the fault of my PC then more than half the population must be suffering the same as my PC is halfway decent. My own connection 'should' be more than enough to handle the data, certainly other games with larger populations etc give me no issues whatsoever. Admittedly I have not gone to the lengths that Manisch has though to check it all out.

Guild mates from all over the UK and some from Europe are having the same issues. You think it is odd that some lag and some not, I agree but wonder why quite so many are, surely we cannot all have duff bits of hardware and shoddy connections.

I stop short of being 100% convinced it is GOA or their preferred telehosts. But it would be nice for them to come out and say that they have reviewed things from their end and are happy (not just saying it but actually checking). It may send us 'doubting thomases' off to re-check our own providers.

If you are lag free then good for you - I hope it continues and I hope to share in your joy very soon.

Malcolm

Can't get enough of FH
Code:
Target Name: N/A
         IP: 80.12.99.114
  Date/Time: 29/09/2008 20:45:48 to 29/09/2008 20:50:07

Hop Sent Err   PL% Min Max Avg  Host Name / [IP]
 1    27   0   0.0   4   6   4  [192.168.1.1]
 2    27   0   0.0   8  56  20  [10.6.240.1]
 3    27   0   0.0   9  52  24  bagu-t2cam1-a-v140.network.virginmedia.net [80.5.163.173]
 4    27   0   0.0  13  52  27  bagu-t3core-1a-ae2-0.network.virginmedia.net [195.182.180.5]
 5    27   0   0.0  11  61  28  man-bb-a-so-310-0.network.virginmedia.net [80.5.161.37]
 6    27   0   0.0  11  77  25  man-bb-b-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.253.187.178]
 7    27   0   0.0  21 116  54  po6-0.mctbb1.Manchester.opentransit.net [193.251.250.105]
 8    27   0   0.0  20 131  50  po10-0.brsbb1.Bristol.opentransit.net [193.251.242.133]
 9    27   0   0.0  21 118  65  so-5-2-0-0.loncr5.London.opentransit.net [193.251.243.37]
10     9   0   0.0  27 105  80  ge-3-2-0-0.nrlil202.Lille.francetelecom.net [193.252.100.213]
11    22   9  40.9  28  89  67  ge-2-0-0-0.nrlil201.VilleneuveDascq.francetelecom.net [193.252.160.213]
12    13   0   0.0  35  97  74  [80.12.201.2]
13    27  27 100.0   0   0   0   [-]

Destination not reached in 35 hops

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
That host ge-2-0-0-0.nrlil201.VilleneuveDascq.francetelecom.net [193.252.160.213] has sometimes ~50% packet loss, but I think it's just the router dropping ICMP packets. Would need to make fake game packets and test with those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom