GOA providing the worst service

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Risinn

Originally posted by n3wbie
can you please accept that sometimes, things just dont work? if my PC works does it mean yours should?

LOL, wish I could have used that line on people when I worked in technical support.

O

old.Glendower

and why does france "suck"? because that is what your taught, unless you give a real reason why you think they "suck" then why go around saying it?

Why should I have to provide you any reasons for my own informed opinion that I have developed over 38 years???

I wasn't "taught" anything about France (except its size and location in school), I learned it all on my own.

Just to humor you, I will give you a few reasons why they suck...

1) The work ethic is obviously crap. Holidays at the drop of a hat, and customers/community always come second at best. French products I have seen are overpriced and pretentious (GOA is a good example, too). Read the news about selfish people crippling the country when faced with very minor pension reforms that would benifit all of the citizens.

2) The water supplies resemble that of the third world. Everyone who goes there is appalled by this. Well, everyone from here anyway.

3) France Telecom (do a search if you need background)

4) The government sabotaged a greenpeace schooner while it was in port.

M

mestoph

2c

Okie my 2c,

1) The website does blow goats, pure flash sites are too bloated and only add to massive bottleneck on the line. There are times you can Guarantee that you will get lag and first main one is when friday news is posted.

2) The web billing area does not work for Netscape or Mozilla, which is just bad website design on behalf of GOA.

3) XML, works fine for everyone else in the world but our servers.

4) Generally a GM will respond to an appeal within 20 mins on the US servers. It generally takes hours on hours. Nothing against Kemor and co. But i'm sure they must have alot more help.

5) Why do we have to wait for an English translation and bug testing for the UK servers. Last time i checked, we spoke the same language as people in the US. Maybe we add a few u's in places they dont. But to be honest american-english is the norm now.

6) US Herald as a site, updates daily on whats going on. We get weekly. They have Sanya reading the forums daily and taking in the information.

7) Our subs have gone up, to basically the same as the US subs, so we should have the same standards in server from now on.

8) They had weeks to prepare for SI. They new how many copies would ship on the first day. So should of made sure the downtime did not occur.

9) Rightnow, is sometimes just a joke. I tend to send everything thats needs on the first posting. Dxdiag, listings of all drivers used, errorlog, critical log, debug log etc, and already reinstalled more than once. And they just respond with 'you might want to install xx.xx drivers', clearly listed in the above request. The last time this occured, i first got told to change drivers (already had done), so pointed that out. Then got told to reinstall the game (already had done 3 times), so pointed that out too. Then got told, Reinstall your OS and Game. Like the hell is any normal person going to do this. Do you only run DaOC on your machine, i think not. Anyhow, i'd already done that too. Simply because i can install everything in a single run and it only takes 3 hours to do all applications. But you get use to that when you mod PC's and benchmark. So got told, oh there is nothing we can do sorry, goodbye. Anyhow, without changing a single thing and the game constantly crashing, there was a small patch and it was fixed. Basically, i knew after comparing errorlogs and systemdumps that the real problem was with directx9.0a. And that problems that directx had fixed had created problems in the game itself. But it shows they dont actually read the technically stuff and just have monkeys peddling standard output for rightnow.

On top of all this, that was countless responces on the US Knowledge base that suggested many other things to solve certain crash problems. That i've never had suggested by the Rightnow team. Only thing i could say to them is, do some RESEARCH.

On on a final note: The comment from the Mythic staff at E3 to the GOA staff that was summed up on the Friday News this week. I quote in reference to Problems on the European Servers:

"I was quite surprised about this point as it was brought up before I could even mention it. ".

They might have gotten at least a small dressing down from the Mythic staff for making them look bad. As i'm sure a number of us have complained to them in the past about the service we recieve. And also i'm sure the general tone from us on this board will have been noticed by the Mythic staff.

cc.

O

old.Glendower

Nice post with good points.

I always appreciate the tech folk sharing their insight, thanks :)

Back to the original topic... I agree that with subs going up you should get the same level of service as the US.

Yes, Mythic is aware of these boards. Many of the Euro players post on American boards, and sometimes post direct links.

D

Danya

Re: 2c

Originally posted by mestoph
5) Why do we have to wait for an English translation and bug testing for the UK servers. Last time i checked, we spoke the same language as people in the US. Maybe we add a few u's in places they dont. But to be honest american-english is the norm now.
this one comes up all the time and has been asnwered loads of times. We wait because if they patched the english servers first it would create a severe population imbalance - people would flood on to the english servers because they got patched much sooner. Personally I quite like being able to log on any time without the server being full.

S

ssera

actually, GOA also has to translate the English version as the binaries they receive wouldn't work for the EU version, so all languages need translation, even if granted there is "less" for the English version than the other two. Also remember, the 3 versions have to be tested separatly (as in effect you're dealing with 3 separate games).

V

Vorcyn

Don't start this again, (Click it)

Its been said plenty of times why we wait, and you just have to accept why we do. If you want to play the latest patch now, go to the US, because its not going to be instant over here.

S

svartmetall

Well...I'm only talking from my own experience, but RightNow is a waste of time. When SI came out, I couldn't get it or "vanilla" DAOC to run (I actually can't remember why) at all, so I used RN to contact GOA.

After THREE WEEKS and three further attempts to get them to acknowledge my existence, I gave up in disgust...I'm not going to make sweeping "GOA are utter shit and should all be impaled"-type statements (DAOC is still eminently playable online...look at the state Diablo 2 has gotten into for contrast), but from my experience, their customer service is appalling.

And I have still seen NO reason why we don't have the in-game facilities that US servers have. Precisely WHY do we not have /appeal? Given that we're paying about the same amount of money, we should have the same amount of service. Each server has a set language, so that can't be the reason.

F

Flimgoblin

Re: 2c

Originally posted by mestoph
2) The web billing area does not work for Netscape or Mozilla, which is just bad website design on behalf of GOA.
Works fine in opera...

6) US Herald as a site, updates daily on whats going on. We get weekly. They have Sanya reading the forums daily and taking in the information.

"We translated some more sentences" does not maketh news....

"We nerfed left axe" does.

7) Our subs have gone up, to basically the same as the US subs, so we should have the same standards in server from now on.
We're currently running the same as the US ones I think? and we're getting upgraded where it's needed.... seems fair enough.

8) They had weeks to prepare for SI. They new how many copies would ship on the first day. So should of made sure the downtime did not occur.
I'd agree the registration for SI was a mess, they needed some other solution for that. the _game_ downtime was inevitable and due to circumstances outwith their control.

9) <snip>

So they should duplicate all the info you can get from the technical forums - surprised they didn't recommend them to you though.
Am I wrong in thinking Directx 9.0a is widely known as being incredibly buggy?

PS. this is sooooooooooooo last summer.

T

Tobold

can you please accept that sometimes, things just dont work? if my PC works does it mean yours should?
if the pcs are identical yes, and if they are used in the same correct fashion yes.
Obviously goa are doing something wrong, using them wrong

M

moo_work

for the people who think that it's mythics problem for lateness etc and for xml files being fucked (for over 2 months now), I just have one question.

Who told you it was mythic's fault? GOA? - i dont think im the only one with a problem in trusting goa since they have lied and just simply been ignorant many times in the past.

PS: I'm still waiting for a response to a rightnow query i made almost 12 days ago, rofl.

T

tris-

Originally posted by Tobold
if the pcs are identical yes, and if they are used in the same correct fashion yes.
Obviously goa are doing something wrong, using them wrong

according to your sig, your IQ is 129 and yet you come out with something like this?

F

Flimgoblin

Originally posted by moo_work
PS: I'm still waiting for a response to a rightnow query i made almost 12 days ago, rofl.

Was it anything like n3wbies RightNow about the price increases? (which he got warned about the CoC for...)

K

kallora

OMG I didn't realise you didn't have an /appeal option! Damn that is bad!

Honestly even though the CSRs in Mythic generally appear to be brain-dead imbeciles, at least we can get a response to things in a reasonable amount of time, for example /stuck problems...

For more in depth problems I usally end up callign transatlantic to the Mythic phone lines as they seem to have a slightly higher competancy and faster response :)

From what you are saying here, I'm glad I didn't come over to the EU servers...

M

mib666

Originally posted by Vorcyn
99% of that post was pure whine and although some (if not all) of it may be true, if you actually included something constructive and explained how they might improve their (iyo) dreadful service and sent it to GOA via rightnow or pm to Kemor / Zargar etc you might see something change.

But posting it here is just asking for every little whine and flame that everyone has about GOA to be posted again and again and again. It gets boring after a while, honest.

Tbh, if the service is that poor, why are you still paying for it?
Other than moving to the US servers, which i doubt you want to do because of friends / guild mates here, you dont have many options.

Either form a letter / post / whatever with some of the comments above and include how you think GOA can improve, or well, stop moaning.

Wow! could you get your tongue any further up GOA's Ass.

M

mestoph

About bring up the english translation again, yes i know its been brought up many times. But i was doing a complete summary and therefore it would be daft to leave something out.

About directx 9.0a.
Directx 9.0a fixed most of the problems in 9.0. 9.0 was buggy as hell, and most people coded around the bugs. OFC when MS fix those bugs, the coding work arounds fail to work any longer. The simple point i was making, was that i was made to run around. When the simple solution for them to have done. Would be to email the US tech team (seeing as they should get a responce quickly, being a partner) and see if they have had similar problems. As they actually write the code.

Towards the web browser comments. In the early years of websites, we all learnt a simple solution to page access problems. Just code to W3 standards and it will work on everything.

F

frogster

I personally have no problem with GoA.

I would however like to see:

1. Atleast one more English speaking server, we pay the same amount as our continental counterparts, yet have less options when it comes to choosing a realm.

2. The English servers patched the same time as the US. I can see no justifiable reason why this isnt happening.
As far as im aware (please correct me if im wrong) each server is ran on an indvidual machine, so no problems with different versions running on the same machine.

V

Vell

Originally posted by frogster

2. The English servers patched the same time as the US. I can see no justifiable reason why this isnt happening.
As far as im aware (please correct me if im wrong) each server is ran on an indvidual machine, so no problems with different versions running on the same machine.

There is only 1 patching sever, and all connections (whether from UK, France, German, or anywhere else in the world) go through this same patching server before they connect to the game servers.

So it's not possible for one server to have a different patch than the others, because the patching server determines which patch we're on, not the game server.

M

mestoph

I think there is a patching server in the US, that us european players patch to occasional ;)

V

Vorcyn

Originally posted by mib666
Wow! could you get your tongue any further up GOA's Ass.

Posts like this amuse me, i post a sensible reply and all you can come up with is this.

Either, post a constructive decent argument or stfu.

O

old.Hardbein

Originally posted by Vell
There is only 1 patching sever, and all connections (whether from UK, France, German, or anywhere else in the world) go through this same patching server before they connect to the game servers.

So it's not possible for one server to have a different patch than the others, because the patching server determines which patch we're on, not the game server.

Just a curiosity....

GOA has their own (one cluster) patch server wich serves all their game servers during patching and every player German/French/English conects to this server during each logon -for a file/patch check.

This is taken from the update.dat file in the shrouded isles directory on my comp.

Mythic Patch
193.252.123.21:1280/updates/english/isles/mpatch.dat

- The server is in the same IP range as the other european servers, meaning its GOAs own server and located in France. Has nothing to do with Mytics patchserver.
- The english patchfiles r in their own directory, therefore I dont understand "why" they cant host different patch releases for the different servers. Im sure its possible to get it working.

Just my 2 cents ;)

V

Vorcyn

They could probably do it quite easy, but they arent going to, thats the point, so stop going on about it.

N

ning

Originally posted by old.Glendower
Why should I have to provide you any reasons for my own informed opinion that I have developed over 38 years???

I wasn't "taught" anything about France (except its size and location in school), I learned it all on my own.

Just to humor you, I will give you a few reasons why they suck...

1) The work ethic is obviously crap. Holidays at the drop of a hat, and customers/community always come second at best. French products I have seen are overpriced and pretentious (GOA is a good example, too). Read the news about selfish people crippling the country when faced with very minor pension reforms that would benifit all of the citizens.

You don't understand. The french pension are not the same as the US pension. Actually, this is the french governement that pay all the pension (not stocks). That's why people absolutly don't need to work after 65 years whereas with the US sytem if the dow fall, people over 65 years must work. Today the pension benifit all of the citizens. The problem is that there are more and more old people (baby boom after the 2nd war) and in a few years french governement will not be able to pay all the pension : that's why there is a pension reform (like in most of the european country).

2) The water supplies resemble that of the third world. Everyone who goes there is appalled by this. Well, everyone from here anyway.

Lol ! Have you ever been in France ?
Did you know that Vivendi Universal (the firms that distribute DAOC in US) was at the beginning a french water supply company ?
Saying that water supplies resemble that of the third world is like saying that califonian electicity supplies resemble that of the third world.

3) France Telecom (do a search if you need background)

France Telecom = Wanadoo (one of the 1st provider in Europe) = GOA

4) The government sabotaged a greenpeace schooner while it was in port.

US government didn't sign the Kyoto Protocol.

N

ning

I also think that GOA could give better Chronicle and Web Site.

Originally posted by Oddorvard
Patches
For some reason which I do not understand GOA's servers are usually patched with merged patches, that is two or more patches are merged into one before they are applied. The French and German versions of the patches must be translated and while the translation takes place the English servers are not patched. The translation process delays the application of the patches for a period of time. However, merging the patches further increases that delay and the final result is that patches arrive on GOA's servers quite a bit later than on the Italian or Korean servers (one and two weeks later respectively for the 1.60 patch).
[/B]

Just something : french and german version are *FULLY* translated. Everything is translated. Whereas the italian version is not *FULLY* translated. Half of the game is in english not in italian. Half of the Italian Chronicle are alo not tanslated.

V

Vell

Re: Re: GOA providing the worst service

Originally posted by ning
I also think that GOA could give better Chronicle and Web Site.

Just something : french and german version are *FULLY* translated. Everything is translated. Whereas the italian version is not *FULLY* translated. Half of the game is in english not in italian. Half of the Italian Chronicle are alo not tanslated.

A good point, but completely irrelevant to the point Oddor was making :p What Oddorvard was trying to say was that patches are delayed in coming to us because GOA decide to merge several patches together. This is obviously GOA's decision to do as the other subsidary companies in Italy and Korea do not do this.

This causes extra delay is us (note - not just English servers, but all GOA servers) getting the patches, because not only do GOA have to test the translations, they also need to test the new game code which has been changed due to the multiple patching - even though it may well be very similar to what Mythic originally used.

For instance, they have said the translations for 1.61 are nearly done, but we will have to wait another month for them to translate patch 1.62 before we see either of the patches. If they applied 1.61 as soon as possible, we would then have those things to play with until 1.62 hit us in a month. As it stands, we will miss out of the new content that 1.61 brings to the game for a month, while 1.62 is translated.

To me, that seems like a bad deal.

O

old.Hardbein

Is it just me or do I smell a very quick 1.63 patch coming (read: rangers soloing milegate doors in 2 mins). To avoid Mythics flaws GOA might want to w8 for that patch too...... :rolleyes:

M

mestoph

Narr, there are a number of small problems in 1.62 most are being patched live, but nearly all are down to quest bugs. As for soloing MG doors. As was pointed out on most US boards, when archer classes said that. Was that 2handed wielding classes can take them down in about the same time, and they are just not use to not being gimped ;). I know i can bolt one away in 5 mins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom