GOA Official Statement (Non GOA Staff)

D

Driwen

Originally posted by vesania
You would think, though, that any self-respecting company would do some homework concerning the markets in their projected target areas in advance of actual product release, if only from the viewpoint of anticipated sales volume and break even analysis. You would also think that, having gone to the trouble to provide any servers in a language at all, that they would be interested in promoting those servers. You would also think that they would make the game available to buy, even if only in one place centrally.

actually in the Netherlands I dont see much promotion, but still most games still sell well. I dont know how it is in the UK though.

Ow and lots of company make mistakes when entering a market. It is real easy to say this stuff knowing where GOA dropped the ball. They probably should have advertised in the UK yes, but it is easy to forget that the UK market=/=french market. Anyway we still run into another problem that it might not even have been worth it.
People from France and Germany probably make up 70% off those language servers, I doubt that habitants off the UK get to 40%. To succesfully advertise they would probably have to advertise in more than just the UK for the english servers.

GOA has made mistakes, but to imply that they are plain dumb is rather easy as you have no idea what they could have done better. Anyway we still lack people for a 3rd server and GOA is trying to get some DAOC cd's into stores (kemor had some thread on bw a month ago about this). Bashing them wont do much good as GOA will then ignore your good points. I also think that GOA by now knows they will have to advertise, if they can and get daoc cd's into shops so people can actually buy them.

C

chretien

Or make the client available for download. Download for free and pay £15 for a licence key. Or even better, free download and free key - have the public ftp server report to a live database of keys so it will always generate a unique one.
That way you avoid all the expensive production/distribution and the problems of having lots of capital tied up in stock which may or may not sell.
Goa/Mythic will make a mint even with a free key as the initial purchase price is a small fraction of the overall income from subs.

G

Gandir

Okey! And how many times will this be a subject of discussion ? I think it started pretty much back at the old days when the game still was new!

And guess what ,when enough english speaking people is playing the game we will get a new server not before! That is how it's and how it should be, becaus the population are still to thin spread as it's on the servers!

T

Thorgald

Originally posted by machiavelli-npv
Would be useful if you could give some feedback on the following questions in your posts too:

1) Have you (English speaking customer) ever had to delete a character to be able to play another realm RvR? Yes/No

2) If yes, what was that character’s level (approx) and an indication of real life hours lost as a result i.e. how much /play on the character(s).

Thanks

Machi

answer to question one, yes i have deleted characters to be able to play on another realm.

question number 2. the highest character i deleted were lvl 45 if i remember right... and id say about 10-15 days /played on that char... im slow to level but i like it that way :)

id love a 3:rd english server (and NO i dont think of Camlann as a english server) i want a REAL english server!!

C

Colin Bass

Yep i Deleted a level 50 Zerker so i could play alb ...

Silly really we should have 3 Servers simple as that and the population shouldnt really come into it as its Freedom of choice imo ...

D

Driwen

Originally posted by Colin Bass
Silly really we should have 3 Servers simple as that and the population shouldnt really come into it as its Freedom of choice imo ...

so you would rather destroy prydwen as a fun server and create two ghost servers than have atleast 2 fun english servers and explore the other realms on camlann or go to a german/french server?:p

V

vesania

so you would rather destroy prydwen as a fun server and create two ghost servers than have atleast 2 fun english servers and explore the other realms on camlann or go to a german/french server?

Heh, since the advent of necromancers, it only takes one player in a dungeon for it to be crowded...

But seriously, it would be daft to open a 3rd server without some kind of increase in numbers first, however that might be generated, not least because players like to be sociable (except maybe necromancers ;) ) and would probably reach the boredom threshold quickly without sufficient numbers of allies and/or opponents.

C

Colin Bass

Not Really no but tbh i think its bullshit that people think that there isnt enough people for another server ...

Tbh most of the times Excalibur is overpopulated imo anyway..

Im not going to get into some flame fest about this but i know that im not getting what i should be for my monthly sub ala 3 servers and a Choice of what Realm in can and cannot play..

take that how u will..

S

ssera

Yep i Deleted a level 50 Zerker so i could play alb ...

Freedom of Choice has never gone hand in hand with making money, and GOA are here to make money - simple as that.

At this time, a 3rd English server would either:

a.) have 200 - 300 people on it. Sure, the first couple of weeks it might be more as people try and race to 50 but the novelty of it all would wear out pretty quick (camlann)

or...

b.) have lots of people online but watch as excal and/or pryd crash and burn.

End result is you have 3 servers which are running way way below their capacity (and therefore profitability margin) which would probably end up with ALL of them getting closed down with a happy message from GOA saying: "Stop complaining, go play on US we don't need you anyway."

D

Driwen

Not Really no but tbh i think its bullshit that people think that there isnt enough people for another server ...

Tbh most of the times Excalibur is overpopulated imo anyway..

Im not going to get into some flame fest about this but i know that im not getting what i should be for my monthly sub ala 3 servers and a Choice of what Realm in can and cannot play..

take that how u will..

you are getting a server to play on thats what you pay for. You dont pay for 3 servers, you pay for one. Besides that there 12 servers where you can play on, 3 off them even in english. And the amount of english people on camlann is the amount of people there would be on one of the 3 servers if we would get a 3rd one.

unless excalibur has 3400+ people on it often, goa wont open a 3rd one (assuming prydwen is reasonable full aswell) and any type of reasoning wont change that fact. Besides technically you can choose between 12 servers, so if you really want that 3rd one learn some german/french or go to camlann.

C

Colin Bass

First Driwen do you work for Goa cause it sure sounds like it but tbh mate your talking out of your arse about some of the things you have said in your last statment ..

I am paying for a game that i should get 3 not 1 game severs for simply because there are three Realms can you not count ?
If we should only have 1 game server whats the point in have 3 realms i mean come on your not that stupid mate why should we the Egnlish Speaking public have 1 less server than French / German players get and dont say about population balance cause that is crap tbh..

And you say that if there was another server a 3rd sever that there woud be the same amount of players on that server as on camalan come on mate how do you know this how do you know that there arnt many many players like me that DO NOT WANT TO PLAY THE P V P SERVER ..
I play Hib excali and Alb Pry and if i want to play on Mid with out playing P v P i have to either delete my albs or hibs chars..

also your statement about me learning French or German to play a game that should have 3 English Servers normal ones not P V P included is moronic tbh when none English speaking players get 3 already is biased imo ...

M

machiavelli-npv

can we stay on topic please. I'm not really interested in whether population is too few, because that is a seperate issue and raises a lot of other questions/solutions i.e. opening a US server for english players to experience full game etc etc (please go open another thread if you want to discuss that).

What I'm interested in is whether is whether 2 RvR and 1 PvP is the same as 3-4 RvR servers and the specific differences between those servers.

The fact that people are deleting characters to play 3rd RvR suggests it isn't so I would like to see more details of people who deleted.

C

Colin Bass

machiavelli-npv Totaly agree as i was saying why should i delete to play all 3 realms.

D

Driwen

I am paying for a game that i should get 3 not 1 game severs for simply because there are three Realms can you not count ?
If we should only have 1 game server whats the point in have 3 realms i mean come on your not that stupid mate why should we the Egnlish Speaking public have 1 less server than French / German players get and dont say about population balance cause that is crap tbh..

its pretty useless to have a 3rd server which isnt used. It wont be fun playing on that server. No RvR, very little people to group with pve. No chance on doing a RR and lil chance on doing big PvE raids as getting 70 people together would be hard/impossible. So yes amount of population is important.

And you say that if there was another server a 3rd sever that there woud be the same amount of players on that server as on camalan come on mate how do you know this how do you know that there arnt many many players like me that DO NOT WANT TO PLAY THE P V P SERVER ..
I play Hib excali and Alb Pry and if i want to play on Mid with out playing P v P i have to either delete my albs or hibs chars..

go play on french server/german server?
Or otherwise go to the PvP server and ignore the PvP part.

Also there are at max 4800 people on excal+prydwen. most of those people have friends on their servers and will keep playing with them. I am not saying it would have the same amount of people on camlann, because no one wants to play there. I am saying that it will have 300 people on it (less than camlann), because there isnt a playerbase to justify it. So there wont be many people on the server as they will keep playing on their old server. Where they have x plat and a lvl 50 and have their friends.

also your statement about me learning French or German to play a game that should have 3 English Servers normal ones not P V P included is moronic tbh when none English speaking players get 3 already is biased imo ...

the german and french customers have enough people to justify 5/4 servers though. It isnt biased, it would only be biased if excalibur would hit 3400+ and prydwen 2800+ and we wouldnt get a new one. Until that happens it isnt biased as the german/french didnt get one either, until there were enough people to fill the new server (atleast on average).

And Machiavelli no 2 rvr servers+pvp isnt the same as 3 rvr servers. However having 3 rvr servers, while we have are hardly near the maximum amount of people we can have on 2 isnt the way to go. You wont be a fun 3rd server as you simply cant set up any large events. And people also delete chars to play with friends who are in the other realm and sometimes they delete, but dont mind it to much.

And no i dont work for goa nor know any goa employee, but I do try to view thing why they dont do this or why they did that. Instead of just ignoring how they look at things and only keeping my own view.
being able to play 3 realms would be nice, but going to the PvP server is a better option for your 3rd realm than setting up a 3rd RvR server. Atleast imo it is a better option for 95% of the english player base, off course there are a few people who wont mind playing on a ghost server and having increased subscription fees because of that.

M

machiavelli-npv

Driwen

Which part of "can we stay on topic please" "(please go open another thread if you want to discuss that)." did you not understand?

And 1 token sentence of "And Machiavelli no 2 rvr servers+pvp isnt the same as 3 rvr servers. " in amongst discussing population doesn't excuse it.

Go open another thread.

D

Driwen

Driwen

Which part of "can we stay on topic please" "(please go open another thread if you want to discuss that)." did you not understand?

And 1 token sentence of "And Machiavelli no 2 rvr servers+pvp isnt the same as 3 rvr servers. " in amongst discussing population doesn't excuse it.

Go open another thread.

what do you want to discuss then? That it is indeed not the same, everyone will agree with that.

M

machiavelli-npv

It's GOA who say 2 RvR plus 1 PvP is the same.

GOA said : "I would like to remind you that English Customers have three english servers available, including one allowing to enjoy and explore all realms in the game."

V

vesania

Or otherwise go to the PvP server and ignore the PvP part.

Have you been there? Ever? Except maybe at 3am in the morning? Ignoring the PvP part is impossible, this is why it is a PvP Server.

The difference between Camlann and Excal/Pryd in playstyle and gaming experience isn't merely huge, it is a veritable yawning chasm. Mulder and Scully are closer to the truth than the suggestion that Camlann is equivalent to a regular server and that English speakers therefore have access to regular play in all three realms.

D

Driwen

Mulder and Scully are closer to the truth than the suggestion that Camlann is equivalent to a regular server and that English speakers therefore have access to regular play in all three realms.

GOA never said it was the same, they did say it has an english interface, so you can play there. I dont really see the point in this discussion, so even if camlann is unsuitable for 3rd english server you wont get a 3rd RvR server until you excalibur+prydwens numbers are higher. If you want to play a 3rd realm you can go to camlann or go to the french/german servers. Otherwise buy a copy of mythic, there isnt any other solution. No matter how many times you say that you want it or that camlann/german/french servers isnt the same as a 3rd english server.

M

machiavelli-npv

quote:

"GOA never said it was the same, they did say it has an english interface, so you can play there."

Yeah Yeah we are so conviced you are not a GOA employee, go away please.

Off topic : and as was previously pointed out by another poster, the server numbers at login do not support your arguement Driwen.

D

Driwen

Yeah Yeah we are so conviced you are not a GOA employee, go away please.

Off topic : and as was previously pointed out by another poster, the server numbers at login do not support your arguement Driwen.

lol so saying that we wont get a 3rd english server till its commercial valid choice. Means Im a GOA employee?

Ow and what other poster has talked about server numbers? Only one person said that 3rd RvR english server wouldn't be so small. Except that both isnt based on facts. Fact there are 4800 people on english servers in this month (in april/may there were peaks of 5200). Assuming the launch of a 3rd server would bring 200 extra people, you have atm 1670 people per server on average. Off course just like happened with camlann, people will visit the new server for a little while and then return to their own server. People dont populate the new servers, you can see that on the french/german new servers. It takes time even for those servers to get populated, while their numbers actually support the extra server.

But please show me where the login server numbers show me wrong?

M

machiavelli-npv

Driwen, I asked you nice not to keep posting same stuff about server numbers. Clear off and stop spamming this thread with same stuff.

You made your point. kthxbye

C

chretien

Driwen is absolutely right. If a 3rd English RvR server opened either no-one would play it or Prydwen would die and you'd have one viable server (excal) and two crappy servers where you'd be lucky to find a grou, get decent RvR and large raids would be impossible.
All the people bleating that they are entitled to experience all the realms at once are talking crap tbh. If there's no commercial incentive to do it, Goa won't and they don't have to. Until there's a overpopulation problem there's no reason to have a third server and lots of reasons not to.

N

ning

there are more people on the 5th german server than on Prydwen at the moment.

M

machiavelli-npv

Yeah cause like they could never think up a creative option like lettin u join a US server. Or pay a little extra to use US servers (ala Horizons).

600-800 ppl ish on new French server. that's 100+ ppl per realm lost.

OMFG server would collapse. The end of DAOC.

Thanks to the few ppl who stayed on topic. FU to morons who are too stupid to be able to read and understand an issue.

CBA with this thread anymore, few nice posts tho.

T

Talen

Yeah cause like they could never think up a creative option like lettin u join a US server. Or pay a little extra to use US servers (ala Horizons).

Thanks to the few ppl who stayed on topic. FU to morons who are too stupid to be able to read and understand an issue.

For all your ranting and raving you haven't (yet) produced a SINGLE DECENT arguement to why GOA should open a 3rd english RvR server. It's not enough saying "I WANT A 3RD SERVER HENCE THERE SHOULD BE ONE"... Do you really think GOA cares about your opinion in the end..?

Of course they dont, in the end they are a company which strives after keeping itself with a decent profitmargin... And if it proves itself non-viable to host another english server due to a low playerbase (They only open new servers when the demand is getting higher then the supply) then they dont really have a reason to open a new server.

It's GOA who say 2 RvR plus 1 PvP is the same.

GOA said : "I would like to remind you that English Customers have three english servers available, including one allowing to enjoy and explore all realms in the game."

Of course they do, camlann is a viable alternative if you just want to check out the realm in question instead of HCexping a toon to level 50 for RvR purposes...

Conclusion: Unless you start typing some good arguements you might as well **** off for being troll of the year due to that you flame EVERYONE that doesn't respond something which boosts your own opinion. That makes you either a fool or a troll. Which ever you choose doesn't really matter because it doesn't strengthen your own "arguements" even the slightest. :eek:

V

vesania

Originally posted by Driwen
GOA never said it was the same, they did say it has an english interface, so you can play there. I dont really see the point in this discussion, so even if camlann is unsuitable for 3rd english server you wont get a 3rd RvR server until you excalibur+prydwens numbers are higher. If you want to play a 3rd realm you can go to camlann or go to the french/german servers. Otherwise buy a copy of mythic, there isnt any other solution. No matter how many times you say that you want it or that camlann/german/french servers isnt the same as a 3rd english server.

I know. I'm one of the people who has pointed out that numbers for a 3rd server would be needed before a 3rd server could be provided. Doesn't stop me from wanting to experience all 3 realms without being forced to go to Ganklann to experience a lot of Hibernian or Midgardian grass.

As for going to French/German servers, well...I speak a bit of both languages but not enough for a beneficial gaming experience in either environment. I don't imagine many people realistically have that option either.

C

chretien

CBA with this thread anymore, few nice posts tho. [/B]

It is on topic you moron. You asked about the availability of 3 servers for English speakers and we answered. Now fuck off back to your cave troll.

N

ning

Without this new french server, Broc and Ys would be full at peak time. Already said on this topic.

I don't imagine many people realistically have that option either.

most of the french and german ? ;)

D

Driwen

I know. I'm one of the people who has pointed out that numbers for a 3rd server would be needed before a 3rd server could be provided. Doesn't stop me from wanting to experience all 3 realms without being forced to go to Ganklann to experience a lot of Hibernian or Midgardian grass.

yes you are and the only way to get it, is to get more people on the english servers (preferrably new customers and not getting the people from the german/french servers :p).
Just setting up a 3rd server isnt financially smart nor will it be fun for most of goa's customers (either the server will be empty or it will take away people from the other 2 servers and make atleast 2 servers to small for normal gameplay).

Also to explore most parts of the realms, you can probably pull it off on camlann without being hassled by the PvP to much. As there is just 800 people on it and there is 3 realms to exp in, so it should be possible to exp abit to see most of the 3 realms. However to explore the classes off the other realm in PvE/RvR, yes that is something you cant do on Camlann.

Users who are viewing this thread