GoA not allowing people to roll alts on diffarent realms on the cluster

Should GoA take away the one realm restriction on cluster servers?

• Yes.

Votes: 283 74.3%
  • No.

Votes: 98 25.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thadius

Part of the furniture
evzy said:
I love all the speculation about how easy it really must be for them to amend the code - if it is so easy why not do it yaselves and send it to them so they can drop it into the next patch.

You were warned pre-cluster. its old news. next.

Im more annoyed as the fact that my friend has bought a new account and he cant play with me unless I log a certain char on a certain realm, he has to either play Alb, Mid or Hib

Thats what, 20 chars in all over 2 servers?

Does a single realm even have 20 classes? :/

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
Maybe you should have pointed all this out to your friend before he bought the game... There are enough servers for you to try every realm, you can amend the language issue I think on your own side (or so someone told me many moons ago) so its a case of wanting something you can't have and knowing before hand you couldnt have... can't really moan about that tbh.

Thadius

Part of the furniture
evzy said:
Maybe you should have pointed all this out to your friend before he bought the game... There are enough servers for you to try every realm, you can amend the language issue I think on your own side (or so someone told me many moons ago) so its a case of wanting something you can't have and knowing before hand you couldnt have... can't really moan about that tbh.

There are not enough servers to try every realm using the normal ruleset with an English population

Its a bit unfair to say oh look, you cant have another realm on this server, go learn another language

Melachi

Fledgling Freddie
evzy said:
I love all the speculation about how easy it really must be for them to amend the code - if it is so easy why not do it yaselves and send it to them so they can drop it into the next patch.

You were warned pre-cluster. its old news. next.

For the love of fuckign god. READ THE THREAD!

Funny is your one of the people who's speculating, by trying to condesend I asumme you believe the amendment to the code would be hard? Well frankly I don't know, but I also don't know why the hell it would be an issue too the community would be worried about, the fact is, alot of people want this regardless of how hard it is.

And ps, I bet there would be several DAoC'ers who could easily do the coding if they wanted too and had access to the DAoC source. Some of them have even gone so far as to code DAoC servers!

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
Let em do it then and stop whining tbh....

That or play hib on cluster, alb on classic and mid on camlann - all english speaking , all offer a variety of daoc not seen on the others...and its still not good enough for you?

If thats all you have to be unhappy about with daoc then you must otherwise be chuffed to fuck with it.

Starwind

Can't get enough of FH
Its a simple thing really, over time people will get bored of there current realm, and want to try another realm with the current rule set, and the less choice people have the faster they will move on to other up and coming games, and from GoA's point of view , that is not a good thing, i think its called loss of money or somthing like that.

So it does not matter if the coding is hard , easy or some code guru needs abit of a wage bonus.

The main thing is, is that being able to select another realm at will, is not going tip the balence of RvR or PvE, and its somthing alot of people want deep down.

So anyone who votes no, is just going against the grain for the sake of it.

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
Not really, as above - if you dont want to commit to one realm - go classic, if that doesnt float ya boat, go camlann, if none of them float ya boat then maybe its time to find a new game because at this point you have tried all 3 realms , not liked any of them - what more do you want - pick a realm you like, stick to it, play other realms on servers which offer different rule sets as well so at least you are getting something more than just a different realm with same rules.

Sometimes the glass is half full not half empty..............

Azathrim

Fledgling Freddie
You could do that Evzy............................. (see, I can add alot of dots as well).

From my experience it's a major change to swap realm. Its even a bigger change swapping server. Do both at the same time and often people don't end up connecting.

Trying a different realm on the same server (read: cluster) is less of a change. Hence, if it's possible to do, there really are no reason not to allow it.

That is what this thread is about, and why this is a great idea really.

It would be interesting to see any comments from a GM... anyone around still reading this mile-long thread? :)

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
I think they didn't want people playing more than one realm on a server (it kinda kills the whole "Fighting for RealmXYZ" if you happen to play for the other realm 3 days a week) - unfortunately with cluster you had a lot of people doing exactly that because there were two servers before.

They could have said "ok pick one realm/server" but that'd have been pretty crappy ;) so they said "you can keep the realms you've got but anyone new has to pick one realm on this server cluster" which would work a bit better if it wasn't almost everyone that's able to play on multiple realms.

Anyway, best suggestion (for the moment) if you want to play another realm is go to classic or a german/french server :( not ideal.

I'm not sure Mythic will put time/effort into coding something they probably don't actually want to code (due to it killing the whole "realm" part of the game that little bit more).

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
Will never happen imo - why make it easier to x-realm and dissipate the population of servers that are not bringing many new faces into anway. I wouldnt want to see it tbh - the guild I used to be in had several players who split their time between 2 realms - leads to problems about whose raid they would attend, whose side in rvr etc and it does have a detrimental effect on other players in the guild as the guild numbers would decrease everytime anyone fancied having a tootle about on another toon on another realm.

Though the argument its harder to swap realm and server - its the same tbh regardless - how can you swap realm,stay on the same server and stay in touch with people on the server who are on your original realm anyway - unless you are on about a few duels with ya mates etc - which is x-realming and not allowed. So to change anyways what difference does it make if its a server change as well as you cant communicate with your old guild/friends anyway even if you stay on the same server. That argument is a bit of a non starter imo.

p.s

have some more dots.............................................................. :)

Azathrim

Fledgling Freddie
The difference in changing server is, that you no longer know what the guilds are called, what the names are and how the community works.

On your old server you knew which forums to visit, which IRC channels to use, which people were friendly and which were blatant idiots.

Chances are, that you don't know these things on your new server. You have to learn it all from scratch. It's possible to do ofcourse, no doubt. It's also very possible to lose track of it, and eventually give up.

On the x-realming part... yeah, ofcoures there are these problems. But, they are already there, people already have several realms on the same server (read:cluster).

This change would just give it equal access for all, instead of denying new players what the old players already have.

And one thing we should go along way to ease the life of is new players. :)

Ixoth

One of Freddy's beloved
Just to add my two cents worth here - About x-realming, I don't think its a really a problem atm. Before the clustering I made an animist to hib excal, and have continued to study the class every now and then since the clustering. If I log with that account to mid, I cannot log to hib excal for a hour. If I recall right, that time used to be longer, but I think its good they shortened it, 1 hour is enough.

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
They could have said "ok pick one realm/server" but that'd have been pretty crappy so they said "you can keep the realms you've got but anyone new has to pick one realm on this server cluster" which would work a bit better if it wasn't almost everyone that's able to play on multiple realms.

That´s the problem. As a matter of fact, we got a whole bunch pf people who are able to play two realms and some who can´t. And that´s causing frustration because why can they, when new players can´t?
If x-realming is that much of a problem, they should have bitten (um... that correct? to bite, bit, bitten iirc?) the bullet and make it impossible in the first place. Personally, I can´t see why x-realming is sucha big deal after NF. IN OF, where Relic Raids used to be some sort of surprise hit-and-run thingy, I`d agree. But nowadays, a Relic Raid takes hours and hours and it´s almost impossible to miss it, so x-realming is kinda redundant (for that matter).
It´s not a big deal though, there are ways to work around it and if you´re so desperate to play more than one realm, you can still buy another account. You can´t make them all happy I guess. :)

Garok

Can't get enough of FH
Cross realm argument does not realy work now with the realm Map + guard spam you can clearly tell whats going on.

Melachi

Fledgling Freddie
Cross realm arguement also doesn't work because at the moment the only alternative alot of players have, (assuming they want to play all realms on the cluster rather than other rulesets) is to have multiple accounts, which do not have the 1 hour realm swap timer.

Ie. Play midgard on account 1, get bored and decide to log hib alts. have to wait 1 hour, unless hib alts are on another account.

Dorimor1

Banned
Also there is a way to 'cheat' the one hour timer that most people know of. And people who want to crossrealm will do it anyway, an hour timer won't stop them logging onto another account.

Nilmeia

Fledgling Freddie
bought my new account after cluster and would be really nice if i ever had an other option that Hib without deleting old chars. And I can't really afford paying 2 accounts.

Cadiva

Part of the furniture
Nilmeia said:
bought my new account after cluster and would be really nice if i ever had an other option that Hib without deleting old chars. And I can't really afford paying 2 accounts.

Theoretically you have the option of all three realms because you can also play English language servers Glastonbury and Camlann.
Of course, the above is also bollox because they are both completely different rulesets.

It is beyond frustrating that the English language servers have always had such a shite deal but if neither Mythic or GoA will advertise and promote their own game in Europe then what the hell do they expect - not enough people to justify three servers etc.

Levin

Can't get enough of FH
They could remove the restriction of only one realm per cluster, plus they could add a new, third, server to the cluster.

Then, cluster servers could share all zones, not just RvR. The artifact camping problem is gone now anyways. That way English speaking players could play in every realm, plus it wouldn't dillute population at all. The 1 hour timer would remain of course. Just an idea.. probably full of flaws but it sounded good as i thought of it. :p

Haazheel

Fledgling Freddie
The adverts was the same in france or germany. Fact is the playerbase is more important and much consistant than the english one. I dont know why its a fact. More players = more revenue = more servers, very easy.

After that with any account you can play all realms between all servers available. Ah yes the language .. time to learn another one maybe.

Himse

FH is my second home
Haazheel said:
The adverts was the same in france or germany. Fact is the playerbase is more important and much consistant than the english one. I dont know why its a fact. More players = more revenue = more servers, very easy.

After that with any account you can play all realms between all servers available. Ah yes the language .. time to learn another one maybe.

except most of the french and german retards are crap ;< i mean worse than me :<

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Mythic: Remove the restrictions from excalibur / prydwen cluster.

Goa: But i am lé tired

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Konah said:
its not a 1 realm restriction, u had months to roll on the enemy realm of ur choice before the cluster. sure it sux for new customers, but how many of those are there these days?

besides its prolly a technical reason why u can't, i'm sure if they could let u they would. another possibility could be a brand new 3rd english server added to the cluster, a long-shot tho.

the problem is that even if ppl DID roll on another realm before clustering they STILL cant roll ALTS on the third if they want to. because as soon as u delete the alts from one server us stuck with your main realm forever.

so either way you look at it ur never gonna be able to play the "full game" on any english server with just 1 account.

and if it IS a technical issue that u cant roll on another realm on a cluster, then that is imo bullshit and should have been THE top priority to acually FIX.

Sye

Fledgling Freddie
To remove the restriction would be silly imo, the cluster is now classed as 1 server and not 2. Removing the restriction would then bring up the arguement of 'i want to roll another realm on the same server' as its basically the same thing. It may be a cluster but you are all in the same in game area.

Cluster = one server not two

Nosufer

Fledgling Freddie
Ive just come back to the game and opened one of my accounts with my hib/excal bb on it and other character on alb/prydwen, i bought a new account for my hib/excal main character but if i want to use the alb prydwen character id have to buy a 3rd acc to be a buffbot for that which really sucks and is something i don't intend on doing.

I think the current situation with the only two english servers clusters is a clear indication of how poorly GOA's marketing campaign was in the UK over the years.

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Nosufer said:
Ive just come back to the game and opened one of my accounts with my hib/excal bb on it and other character on alb/prydwen, i bought a new account for my hib/excal main character but if i want to use the alb prydwen character id have to buy a 3rd acc to be a buffbot for that which really sucks and is something i don't intend on doing.

I think the current situation with the only two english servers clusters is a clear indication of how poorly GOA's marketing campaign was in the UK over the years.

Yea, you imagine if they advertised 2 years ago that you could be a knight in shining armour or a viking, people would have lapped it up, especially after Lord of The Rings was released

Nosufer

Fledgling Freddie
Thadius said:
Yea, you imagine if they advertised 2 years ago that you could be a knight in shining armour or a viking, people would have lapped it up, especially after Lord of The Rings was released

Aye, 2 years ago i knew people still playing UO who had never heard of DAOC. To get my ToA copies of DAOC a few years ago not long after ToA release i had to drive about 100 miles, 5 cities closer than the place where i got it didn't have it in.

Quote "we got one copy but thats gone and we aren't getting anymore"

Then you look at the same stores today, 15 WoW boxes, 5 Linage 2 boxes, and several SWG and FFonline boxes.

The state of the English servers at this current time is down to GOA.

Keata

Fledgling Freddie
My reason for voting yes is that a good friend of mine was playing both hib/exc and hib/pryd. I was playing hib and mid and so was an other of our mutal friends tho only mid for fun. He was mainly playing hib/exc but had like 200p on pryd so he didnt wanna delete his chars becaus he thought we were only playing a bit on the side. We are both playing mid now and my friend got stuck.

Chimaira

Can't get enough of FH
Fact is DaoC was "huge" in the USA. loaded servers. but after time it faded and the game started to grow old and sometime in the future it will die out.
if it hasnt there already. USA servers are horrible since about half a year ago or more.

Europe did never have as much players but the servers was stabile. the german ones loaded and so on.

I know people irl that have never touched a computer in their life even a damn load of girls that was party bitchizzz ^^ and now are sitting @ home playing WoW lol.

Everytime I discuss games with people maybe at work orso whatever. No one has yet said Yeah I know that game.

Im not saying DaoC would be as big as WoW. because WoW is big because its blizzard and everyone knows blizzard. and people that used to play games like WC,WC2 are LOADS since back then it was like top of the food chain strategy wise.

But I bet my last bucks that DaoC with the correct advertising could have 400% the subscribers or maybe more than they had at their peak times.

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
xxManiacxx said:
Might aswell make a poll and ask them to patch back to 1.60 or something :eek:

How do you think the classic servers came into being..

Because enough people whined about wanting to play without TOA.

I'd imaine that if Mythic/GOA are looking to keep subscribers, they could do alot worse than offer another 2/3 of the game up to it's playerbase. How many people have quit that might of stayed for an extra while if they had the option of "oh i'm sick of Mid, maybe i'll try Hib".
I'm sure it's not an insurmountable problem letting people reroll on the other server in the cluster. I mean the code has the ability to handle it, they just need to allow you to create the first character on the server and the code already handles the rest. As a software engineer I can't possibly see how this could require months and months of work..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom