GOA and E3 !

Chasm

Loyal Freddie
As every year we have sent a few representatives to the E3 (Electronic Entertainement Expo) game show in Los Angeles. Mythic are there also of course and declared themselves very satisfied with their collaboration with us. We managed to get some news on the upcoming expansion New Frontiers and we have learnt among other things that there will be new Battlegrounds in the New Frontiers expansion, open to a broader range of characters in less strategic zones, better adapted to their levels. Moreover these battlegrounds will be geographically very different from each other.

Just goes to show u how mythic listens to their european community. :puke:

Tomtefan

Fledgling Freddie
I guess you have something to motivate this random whine with..? GOA server uptimes are still higher then 99.5% which is good enough for me, the only mistake they actually do is that they overenjoy using flash on their website instead of something more stable :p

Chasm

Loyal Freddie
Yeh they're customer service is top notch and the lag on the "upgraded" servers isnt so bad either. :p

Arlone

Fledgling Freddie
Chasm said:
The bigger part of the european community does not equal 5 (or 15 .. whatever) flameposts toward GOA from a bunch of 12-year-olds who can't get their moms VISA to work :p

It's easy to get noticed when you make a FOTM anti-GOA post on this forum ... perhaps that was what you were looking for too? ;)

Sure there are problems and people have bad luck with subs etc. But in general they are doing good imo.

Ning

Fledgling Freddie
Chasm said:

DAOC in Europe : First MMORPG with 12 servers.
DAOC in the USA : Far to be the most sold MMORPG.

Mythic can only be satisfied with GOA. GOA was the first company that managed to massively launch a MMORPG in Europe. It was the only company that had the flair to see the potential european market. It's only thanks to GOA that american companies realized that there were a huge MMORPG market in Europe. I was not surprised when I saw translated european servers for Everquest coming in Europe 6 months after DAOC European launch (whereas Everquest was already 3 years old)

The second MMORPG in Europe (AC2) only got 3 (english, french, german) nearly empty servers. Horizon has also only got 3 servers for Europe.

Chasm

Loyal Freddie
Guess i got the fanboi's out on this one. Do i beleive they do a good job? sometimes, most of the time i've had to put up with poorly ran servers. They're RightNow system is utter shit regardless what u say as i'm sure alot of ppl agree. Taking weeks to reply and when they do they don't answer your questions.

It took them months to sort mine and countless numbers of other ppl's account subs out when they got hacked, shitty system of doing it aswell if i do say so.

Patch times are a joke as most ppl already know, delaying of patch's in the past as also been a joke.

Also the upgraded servers sure do a good job as u can see with the lag u get at 5am in a morning, which is the only time i have to play as i work nights.

Taking funds out of ppl's debit/CC account when their daoc account is closed .

Yeh i can really see where your comming from supporting them, ofc like u guys say u should expect problems along the way but GOA has to be the worse company ever to run any mmorpg game that i've played. Maybe expect Shadowbane in the US :p

Ning

Fledgling Freddie
I had worst exeriences with Horizon.
From my own exerience I've never had any problem with GOA. I've been playing DAOC since the beggining.

Archeon

Fledgling Freddie
Chasm said:
Guess i got the fanboi's out on this one.

Great way to show your moral and intellectual superiority, start throwing around insults with those who don't agree with you... can I touch you?

Chasm said:
Patch times are a joke as most ppl already know, delaying of patch's in the past as also been a joke.

Your aware that as it stands Euro servers are a whole one patch behind the American ones right? If you want the patches as they come out nothing is stopping you from moving to the American servers. I might as well point out as well that Translation is done by GOA but the coding of the translations is done by Mythic (GOA arn't allowed to alter the DAoC coding in any way, and yes - the 'Event' while scripted by GOA was coded by Mythic)

Chasm said:
Also the upgraded servers sure do a good job as u can see with the lag u get at 5am in a morning, which is the only time i have to play as i work nights.

Funny... i've been playing mainly in the ToA&fronteir zones for the past 3 or 4 weeks and i've yet to notice appauling levels of lag...

Chasm said:
Yeh i can really see where your comming from supporting them, ofc like u guys say u should expect problems along the way but GOA has to be the worse company ever to run any mmorpg game that i've played. Maybe expect Shadowbane in the US :p

Maybe because we arn't forum trolls? So really did you make this post for attention or just to inform people about the evils of GOA, i'll give you some more interesting facts...

1. GOA's managing director eats kitten heads
  2. The whole of the GOA staff hate you personally and this is all a conspiricy to make you leave the game

I'd go on but its hardly worth the effort, as a final point I should mention that every Rightnow enquiry i've made over the past 2 months (pretty much after ToA came out) has been replied to within the 48hrs promised by GOA. So maybe i'm doing somthing wrong because everyone knows Rightnow takes forever...

Think its time you stop throwing around words like Fanboi without taking into consideration that not everyone is suffering the huge and crippling problems that you are, and that some people are genuinly happy with the service provided (hell, I know I wouldn't pay my Sub fees if I wasn't)

But whatever, Jesus still loves you.

Turk

Fledgling Freddie
Hello guys!
I spoke breifly with one of the GOA guys at E3. He directed me to these forums as I was interested in getting more overseas feedback for the Eldritch class.

Looking foward to lurking around here ;)

Archeon said:
Funny... i've been playing mainly in the ToA&fronteir zones for the past 3 or 4 weeks and i've yet to notice appauling levels of lag...

err sure no lag...whatever... constantly at around 4am-6am i get lag EVERYTIME, i think theyre doing shifty things with ther server at these times so i guess its to be expected..but lag does indeed exist consistently at these times..

I_R_BIG_TROLL

Fledgling Freddie
Turk said:
Hello guys!
I spoke breifly with one of the GOA guys at E3. He directed me to these forums as I was interested in getting more overseas feedback for the Eldritch class.

welcome mate - have fun on forums.wajnhouse.com ;)

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
Turk said:
Hello guys!

Welcome aboard :)

As you can see, us Europeans have much more constructive "discussions" compared to VNBoards...................................................

Archeon

Fledgling Freddie
Elewyth(TLSOA) said:
err sure no lag...whatever... constantly at around 4am-6am i get lag EVERYTIME, i think theyre doing shifty things with ther server at these times so i guess its to be expected..but lag does indeed exist consistently at these times..

If you'd be so kind as to point out where I mentioned in my zealious manner how not one single person lags i'd be glad to retract it. ;)

Lejemorder

Fledgling Freddie
Turk said:
Hello guys!

its here most of the hibs from prydwen (the other english server in europe) post :).

Tesla Monkor

Fledgling Freddie
Actually, the lag is a lot better now.

And, for the record, the Mythic servers lag just as much as ours.. so it's no better over there. :)

pez

Can't get enough of FH
Turk said:
Hello guys!

if you're looking for european elves try here too http://www.prydwen.net/forum/

Path

Fledgling Freddie
Turk said:
Hello guys!

Careful, we mock Americans every chance we get :p

Daedalus

Can't get enough of FH
And we're not even french. As for the lag.. It wouldn't surprise me if he's mistaking his FPS lag for server lag.

Tairirion

Fledgling Freddie
Hmmm Rightnow takes forever to reply? They always replied within 48 hours for me as it's for Archeon. Maybe it's how you formulate your issue?

As for lag on the server and downtime. I'm back since 2 weeks ish now and have had never lag except once like 10 mins but I can live with it. The past years since open beta there were rarely times where I had problems logging in. And I don't try to play on a patch day anyway heh...

I don't think GOA is doing a bad job and if you don't like 'em no one is forcing you to play the game. At least when you leave the game we don't have to read crap like this anymore.

You're prolly one of those guys who whine about SI and TOA also because it brings in much more stuff to explore and to gain. Give a game with one zone where we all start with the best equipment and the highest lvl huh?

Brannor McThife

Fledgling Freddie
Considerring that a number of people considerred me Fanboi #1 in my day...I have to agree that Rightnow is not good enough. I myself have had to wait weeks for some replies, and eventually just went to Kemor and asked him to fix it, which took 1 day (had to task it to the right people).

Rightnow is the primary interface that GOA has with many of its customers, and they seem to miss the fact that most people go to Rightnow when something is WRONG. At that time, they aren't exactly in a good mood, and to get some auto-generated email, which sometimes has nothing to do with the Rightnow report sent in, obviously leads to even more tension and customer dissatisfaction.

That is basically the only thing I've ever noticed that GOA does poorly. Zone crashes, etc. can't really be blamed on them. I mean, SURELY the host machines are specced according to Mythic's recommendations?

-G

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Turk said:
Hello guys!

It's not always like the Dev's round table here... honest.... no really.... :)

Who did you meet?

Tholus

Fledgling Freddie
I can only speak about my personal experience.

I have been a very hard critic of GoA in the past. I rememer I even wrote a complain to Mythic after a very bad experience of customer support one year ago.

But, to be honest, my impression is that the level of service is hugely improved in time and now GoA is doing a good job.

There will always be some problem that is the nature of any service and of any software, but the job in resolving it and running a smooth and better service by GoA can't be ignored.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Elewyth(TLSOA) said:

Pron loading time :eek6:

p0x

Fledgling Freddie
Lag: Ever since that so called server upgrade last xmas (bi xeon or whatever thingies). I've had a sort of lag to the server constantly.. it's not actually delay, commands such as entering combat mode work as fast as they always have. But when meleeing a moving target is totally impossible while using /stick, also I cannot seem to cast spells on targets that run in a circle near me (not running through me, just near me).

Even if someone runs in a straight line in front of me while I'm moving faster, I still get 50%+ "Out of view" hits.. if the target strafes a little, I can't do anything :|

PJS

Fledgling Freddie
Brannor McThife said:
At that time, they aren't exactly in a good mood, and to get some auto-generated email, which sometimes has nothing to do with the Rightnow report sent in, obviously leads to even more tension and customer dissatisfaction.
Had a few of those myself. Cant beat sending in a simple plain English problem that a French school student should be able to understand and receiving a poorly written reply in return that has absolutely nothing to do with the problem. Your subscription euros hard at work there.

hirenoenglishspeakerstosupportnonfrenchies4tehwin!

Firebirth

Fledgling Freddie
I have varied experiences with GOA over the two years ive been playing, some good, some bad. GOA do a good job around 90% of the time but its the other 10% where they fall down and the credibility they have gained is erased again. Lack of honest communication is probably the communities main beef with the game in terms of Customer Services and Community communication. This has improved of late but the lack of a constant link with the community like Sarah is in the US and with our voluntary may i add link being Evigoss(sp) who is an infrequent presence.

Server problems such as the ones Avalon and Excaliber suffered from after the "For TOA" upgrade do annoy me. Relic raids were generally stopped by inability of "new" hardware to produce the stability we'd seen with the old system. The essentially put the blame on overloading one zone, when in the past this hadnt affected the stability to such a degree as before. A relic raid hasnt been mounted since (on excaliber) probably due to TOA's release more thna server stability but it will be more than interesting to see the effects on the server when one does come.

At the end of the day GOA do a reasonible job and just balls it up on occasion, would it be better to have mythic running it? prehaps it would but at the end of the day its not going to prevent the stupid ideas and code that mythic put into their game.

civy

One of Freddy's beloved
Archeon said:

Would you accept paying for subscription tv and the voice and pictures being a second or two out of sync.

I expect there to be zero lag caused by crappy servers.

There are 3 places that can cause lag

Server side
Client side
and everything in between.

I invest in my system to keep client side lag to a minimum and I expect GOA to do the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom