GMs: You cant please everyone...

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
Well done GoA/GM's on making catacombs available to download, its not ideal or perfect ( i know i have a switch card, and cant download it)

I think you have learnt a hard lesson this week, or i hope you have. I dont think you have lost any customers with the bad UK catacombs launch, but at the same time dont think you have gained many either.

A lot of players warned you about launching an expansion this close to a bank holiday, i dont think your french masters undersood fully the implications of it, maybe they do now ( even if it was the distributors fault, we did tell you of the problems).

Maybe if you listen to the people who play/ buy the game more, you might not have such problems, after all i am sure the distributors are veteran DAOC players.

I wont be able to play catacombs till at least 1 april ( due to i have a switch/maestro card). while this is not a major problem, still am pissed off a little that i cant play it.

people are going to congratulate you for making it available for download on friday, i am going to congratulate you too, it is better that some can play it, than not at all :D

I am still not happy that you had to let it come to this, dont let it happen again, for all of us.

S.

Void959

Fledgling Freddie
Agrd, well done on making the best of a bad situation, but the foresight to avoid it in the first place would have been even better.

Evergrey

Fledgling Freddie
1 question. Do you get the cd key instantly after you payed for the D/L version? (with VISA card)

DLgamer-oot

Fledgling Freddie
Evergrey said:
1 question. Do you get the cd key instantly after you payed for the D/L version? (with VISA card)

Let me quote from the FAQ of our website which people are prompted to read upon creating an account but most don't :(

* For your information, when you pay for a game, the serail key and the download link are sent to you within 5 minutes.
Wait for about one hour to take into account that some webmails are a bit slow updating your in mail bin but if you don't have that answer within the hour, check your junkmail bin and only after doing that contact support@dlgamer.com if you can't find it.
Don't wait one week like some have done before contacting us, the DLgamer service is very fast, it would be a shame missing on playing for nothing.

Gaaaah ! That quote makes me catch a spelling mistake at "serial" :eek:

rampant

Can't get enough of FH
guys its a pile of shit :( - dlgamer hurridly brought on board at the last minute because of a fookup by GOA.

Promises from GM's that dont materialise because of something out of their control - these promises should not have been made in the first place.

Yes DLGamer have made a good job out of a very poor situation from GOA - but its not enought because there are still shed-loads of people who cannot get it.

Krakatau

Fledgling Freddie
GOA's solution missing out on one thing...

Since I guess A LOT of players already bought or will buy the DL version with CD-keys, we will miss out on the boxed version of the game...

Then ask yourselves, what good will the supplimentary CD with some free DAOC time on it do ??

That was supposed to be handed out to buddies etc to maybe get some new fresh blood into the game - but that good intention is now also lost due to this mess...

Now I have 2 Catacomb keys, but missing out on install CDs and I have to tell 2 of my mates that I can't give them the trial version on CD as I told them I would :(

And even if there's a free trial version to D/L, it includes a lot of waiting etc before they can start testing.

So I guess GOA missed (maybe) the last opportunity to get some fresh blood into the game :twak:

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
scorge, I see you've ignored everything the GMs have told you as to why there is this delay (you'll note there was absolutely no problems anywhere else in europe other than holland/belgium, scandinavia got theirs fine).

It's nothing to do with it being a bank holiday weekend.

Draylor

Part of the furniture
scorge said:
Maybe if you listen to the people who play/ buy the game more
:clap: That is a joke, right?

Distribution of the original game, and every expansion since, was farcical. Theyve clearly learned nothing. Dont expect it to change now - especially since theyll now be selling lower numbers and have even less power in negotiations with distributors etc.

semanon

Fledgling Freddie
Filgoblin I admire your loyalty to DaoC. We still don't know the full reason behind this whole thing but I can hazarda a guess that the public holiday had something to do with it in some way. I for one had warned them about the problems fo releasing this sort of game on a public holiday. Ah well...

I still say thx to Requiel for all his hard work though,

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
semanon said:
Filgoblin I admire your loyalty to DaoC. We still don't know the full reason behind this whole thing but I can hazarda a guess that the public holiday had something to do with it in some way. I for one had warned them about the problems fo releasing this sort of game on a public holiday. Ah well...

I still say thx to Requiel for all his hard work though,
I guarantee to you that the public holiday had precisely nothing to do with product not being available in UK stores. Until earlier this week we and our distributors were fully expecting to see boxes on UK shelves for this weekend and for the usual webmerchants to be sending stock out before then. The reason for stock not appearing is due to some last minute heavy duty legal wrangling on the part of one of the companies involved.

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
semanon said:

The problem: The CDs should be ready 1 week before or so to have time to fix such issues, it wasn't in place. There should be plans in time for other distribution channels, there wasn't any. I doubt why DLGamer doesn't have the bonus SI keys, and why GOA doesn't send these keys to customers.

I know that even if the game masters are friendly and nice people, the official people above them aren't members of the daoc gaming community and this makes a big difference, but official people at a big national telco. If traceroute shows a non OpenTransit router in france as lagged (usually it is a sprintlink router in paris) the gamemasters at least try to help with reporting, the official people say: Only OT in france so they don't deal with "bugous" information. All official data about the router is bugous. When you prove they don't know everything, and show some web addy (not hard to find) that shows where they belong, they said it is from before SI relase, then you see a press release on the site from much later. They say the goa brand is no longer used but it is even in the new catacombs client.

I would have VERY happy if nice people like Requiel and Zenythe would have more power within GOA, and I think they would love to see new players, but it happens above their levels, and they are just as much victims to it as you are, except they are targets of flame for trying to help by relaying information. Is it fair? Why noone talked about the only official person of goa that is present, their supriors, etc?

Corran

Part of the furniture
Requiel said:
I guarantee to you that the public holiday had precisely nothing to do with product not being available in UK stores. Until earlier this week we and our distributors were fully expecting to see boxes on UK shelves for this weekend and for the usual webmerchants to be sending stock out before then. The reason for stock not appearing is due to some last minute heavy duty legal wrangling on the part of one of the companies involved.

Requiel, you should advice Game (as it obvious they are the one from all the original postings) that they should come give a detailed explanation at why they have caused this, or at least give you permission to inform us. It be for their benefit mainly because as of the current moment with the situation that has arisen i would say they losing the business of an good few hundred people and upwards. May not seem much to a company as them but I for one probably spend £250+ a year in their stores (more depending if i getting console stuff too :p ) and i bet alot of people spend around that which they wont be getting now. So even if you just look at 100 people stopping that spend about that, it is still £25000 they lost out on though i bet the gamers here that will bycot it could push that figure too £100,000 easily.

IainC

Esselinithia said:
The problem: The CDs should be ready 1 week before or so to have time to fix such issues, it wasn't in place. There should be plans in time for other distribution channels, there wasn't any. I doubt why DLGamer doesn't have the bonus SI keys, and why GOA doesn't send these keys to customers.

I know that even if the game masters are friendly and nice people, the official people above them aren't members of the daoc gaming community and this makes a big difference, but official people at a big national telco. If traceroute shows a non OpenTransit router in france as lagged (usually it is a sprintlink router in paris) the gamemasters at least try to help with reporting, the official people say: Only OT in france so they don't deal with "bugous" information. All official data about the router is bugous. When you prove they don't know everything, and show some web addy (not hard to find) that shows where they belong, they said it is from before SI relase, then you see a press release on the site from much later. They say the goa brand is no longer used but it is even in the new catacombs client.

I would have VERY happy if nice people like Requiel and Zenythe would have more power within GOA, and I think they would love to see new players, but it happens above their levels, and they are just as much victims to it as you are, except they are targets of flame for trying to help by relaying information. Is it fair? Why noone talked about the only official person of goa that is present, their supriors, etc?

A couple of things.

Goa being a part of France Telecom has nothing to do with the way that we run games. Goa is a games company. We run games. We happen to be owned by a major telco, that's about as far as that relationship goes. France Telecom don't tell us how to run games and we don't tell them how to run a telephone network. Pretty much everyone here at Goa plays DAoC, we are all a part of the community on the servers that we play on. There are Goa people playing on pretty much every server we run and involved in those communities, we are guildmasters, hardcore RvR players, roleplayers, crafters, raid leaders, raid followers, PvE junkies etc. In other words we are just like all the other players.

The issue with external internet companies is exactly the same as any other provider of an online service faces. We are reliant on other companies who are not accountable to us to deliver our service. We have arrangements with OpenTransit to host our servers and provide bandwidth and that's as far as that goes. We have no arrangements with OT as far as maintenance of the rest of their network is concerned, and we have no arrangements with other infrastucture companies like Sprintlink at all. These companies are mostly answerable to ISPs (who they do have service arrangements with). Thus if a Sprintlink/OT/NTL/DeutscheTelekom/BT router falls over then we are pretty much powerless to do anything except alert them to it and wait for them to fix it. We have no leverage to force them to do anything, only ISPs who are paying them for routing services can do that.

As you seem to be confused a little about FT, Goa and Wanadoo, I'll explain the history and what the situation is:

Originally Goa was a division of Wanadoo. Wanadoo were a games publisher and online games portal. They were mostly owned by FT. Goa was their online games brand. Last year, FT bought the rest of Wanadoo and reorganised things. We got split off from Wanadoo and became a direct subsidiary of FT. Wanadoo was relaunched as a domestic ISP. Goa is now FT's games brand for all online games including java and flash games. All of this makes no difference to how the game has been run. The only difference that anyone will notice is that the Wanadoo logo hasn't appeared on boxes since ToA.

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
Requiel said:
Requiel: It happens, but one can prepare for it. Let me tell you an example. I know that 217.118.224.34 is a sprintlink router and is in paris, I know 5 more sprintlink routers on their own network in france. When I had a lot of LDs one of these had packet loss, and sprintlink is an international net backbone provider. I told, that GOA probably has no other option since GOA is part of FT, so you can't even adminster servers remotely and use english servers, since it wouldn't be allowed. If a GOA official person starts flaming and you can prove him wrong with RIPE data, etc, and you can also show where there are proof of ownership and says a page is before SI release and it is clearly after, that has a side effect:
  • I will question the word of GOA officials, and know what the GMs can tell is what they hear from them. I think it is acceptable. In fact it ends up with thinking: if it works it is done by Requiel and Zenythe, if it doesn't work other official people is probably responsibe :)
  • I think one in telco industry who don't know that one can check information about routers easily won't look professional and won't listen to warning either, and won't communicate with many partners efficiently. Yes, when I hear DLGamer tried to reach their contacts I expect the same people is at home, since they don't know they might need to talk with DLGamer people. Didn't expect.
They haven't prepared. By shipping the CDs earlier, making enough backup plans, making sure the online orders still have the 14 days trial, etc. that is a problem. And I know one thing, people who live in the region and know how these distributors work warned you about the possible delays. And GOA official people dismissed it, like they dismiss information about some lagged routers. If you know, Play.com can have such delays, you can make the game ship earlier by a week, and allow activation of catacombs on the patch day. That way a bit of delay can't hurt anyone, and they can read game manuals, etc.

People knewm with the same company, such delays happened not once, and with the easter people miss more days, and it is harder to fix this problems, since half of the people who can work on it at play.com isn't willing to do extra work before such long weekens, GOA didn't listen to it. And something expected by much happened. It is like speaking about sprintlink dismissing it, and next day high packet loss and latency because of one of their routers.

People for months, said if they don't know any other language but learned english, and they live in Hungary, Croatia, etc... they can't buy the game. Most companies doesn't ship it to us, and the only french web store GOA staff shown and it has a legaly binding agreement you should understand before accept and it is in french, so you cannot order it legally. Not to mention you can't use the page without understanding french text. Nothing happened. You got rude comments, sent to google, back the french page, etc. you expect people believing everyone is part of all problem but goa never, and some routers are just an illusion.

I know you are a Game Master, a gamer who is willing to spend most of his time with helping other players, and do it for a living, which limits your career but you are happy with it, and happy to help. And you are just as much a victim to it, as any player, but all the above makes people wonder: Why GOA doesn't listen to its customers.

inqy

One of Freddy's beloved
Req, do dl-gamers have enough keys ? if not give em some :D

and any chance you can let them just sell keys. so many just need that right now.

Tilda

inqy said:
Req, do dl-gamers have enough keys ? if not give em some :D

and any chance you can let them just sell keys. so many just need that right now.
I think the selling of keys on their own is unlikley. If DL-gamers sold just keys then people would all end up downloading catacombs through the patcher, which makes the game laggy and slows the whole thing down for people trying to log in normally.
As to the new keys, im not sure, I'd guess its up to someone above the GM's as to whether they can sell them directly the CD keys, or whether they have to buy them normally through the distributor. Either way, im sure everybodys doing the best they can do get more Catacombs keys avaliable.

Tilda

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
Requiel said:
Thus if a Sprintlink/OT/NTL/DeutscheTelekom/BT router falls over then we are pretty much powerless to do anything except alert them to it and wait for them to fix it. We have no leverage to force them to do anything, only ISPs who are paying them for routing services can do that.

As you seem to be confused a little about FT, Goa and Wanadoo, I'll explain the history and what the situation is:

Originally Goa was a division of Wanadoo. Wanadoo were a games publisher and online games portal. They were mostly owned by FT. Goa was their online games brand. Last year, FT bought the rest of Wanadoo and reorganised things. We got split off from Wanadoo and became a direct subsidiary of FT. Wanadoo was relaunched as a domestic ISP. Goa is now FT's games brand for all online games including java and flash games. All of this makes no difference to how the game has been run. The only difference that anyone will notice is that the Wanadoo logo hasn't appeared on boxes since ToA.

For the first part: I complettely agree, but it says, GOA people shouldn't say the only net infrestructure in france is OT, since it isn't.

For the secound part: What would your "superiors" at FT would say if you would host your servers with vivendi universal? Yes, FT has no influence over what you do with the servers, what you do on them, how you have events, etc. But yes, it is a little difference here, since for many reasons your current ISP is your best choice so it doesn't make any visible difference.

I think Ervinoss didn't knew about sprintlink and other possibilities, he knew, that if he buys and ADSL from any company, the backbone services are still handled by OT, so he was confident in what he said, when he said it is the only backbone. The question is: How he reacts when he is proven wrong. Same with TOA availability problems, etc. And how he reacts to advice.

I haven't seen anyone saying from GOA: we will think about shipping the CDs before patch day to avoid such problems next times, or we are listening to further advice. But seen DLGamer people saying they are trying to reach their contact people and no results yet.

Tilda

Esselinithia said:
They haven't prepared. By shipping the CDs earlier, making enough backup plans, making sure the online orders still have the 14 days trial, etc. that is a problem. And I know one thing, people who live in the region and know how these distributors work warned you about the possible delays. And GOA official people dismissed it, like they dismiss information about some lagged routers. If you know, Play.com can have such delays, you can make the game ship earlier by a week, and allow activation of catacombs on the patch day. That way a bit of delay can't hurt anyone, and they can read game manuals, etc.

From what I gathered, they did prepare, and up until thursday, they thought everything was going to be ok. But then the situation changed. They were then landed in a sticky situationand imo did the best they could to adapt to it and ensure that as many UK players as possible would be able to play.
Its not the fact that they ignored warnings and didnt prepare, rather, they heeded the warnings, prepared, and then the situation suddenly changed, and then they reacted to it.

Esselinithia said:
I think Ervinoss didn't knew about sprintlink and other possibilities, he knew, that if he buys and ADSL from any company, the backbone services are still handled by OT, so he was confident in what he said, when he said it is the only backbone. The question is: How he reacts when he is proven wrong. Same with TOA availability problems, etc. And how he reacts to advice.

Who are you to presume what Erivoss does and does not know? Give up now.
Tilda

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
Tilda said:
I think the selling of keys on their own is unlikley. If DL-gamers sold just keys then people would all end up downloading catacombs through the patcher, which makes the game laggy and slows the whole thing down for people trying to log in normally.
As to the new keys, im not sure, I'd guess its up to someone above the GM's as to whether they can sell them directly the CD keys, or whether they have to buy them normally through the distributor. Either way, im sure everybodys doing the best they can do get more Catacombs keys avaliable.

Tilda
I think there are a few things one can do about it: People who need miultiple key can order multiple keys for a single download. Also I would do a small thing: Would allow guilds to host their own downloadable versions and buy licence from DLGamer or goa through their own guild page. Or use a .torrent based downloader, etc to reduce the strain on download servers, etc.

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
Tilda said:
Who are you to presume what Erivoss does and does not know? Give up now.

One who says no net backbone except OT in france is either doesn't know about the international backbone providers with their own infrastructure present (this is ok) or a plain liar. You say Erivoss is in the later category?

And for their preparations: Problems happened, and no plans were here to supply most players with a catacombs key in time.

Corran

Part of the furniture
Esse, the problem wasn't with the distribution at all though.. I had confirmation from Play.com that they HAVE the game in stock, they had it in plenty of time, they just are not allowed to release it to us... Took me some time and many emails to get this answer (god they like their standard reply which they sent to 4 of my replies to them :p )

So, the problem comes down to the fact that Game took up the "legal" action side to prevent all stores selling it due to the influence that they hold in the gaming industry in britain. GoA had everything set up to go till this happened, and if the games arent being sent out by the retailers then what can they do? not much really as at that point it out their hands even though they tried their best.

They set up the download option when they had no other choice, it was something they didnt want to do but arranged to keep the majority happy. Me myself, im still little annoyed as 1) i cant download it in under 100 hours as on dialup. 2) I cant pay to get the key as i dont use CC, only switch. Yet i understand this is not GoA's fault. All they would of been able to do differently is to put the day of release back to match UK, but then they stated they had technical reasons why it had to be done when it was... i believe.

DLgamer-oot

Fledgling Freddie
I don't want to get too deep into the discussion because i am not really part of your community and there is also some information i have from my end that i don't want to give out since it is not my "trade secrets".

Nevertheless, i'll try and give you my thoughts in a general way without going into details.

I have been a hardcore player since Ultima Online and i have played to the fullest several MMORPGs.

I started importing games for myself and my european guildmates somewhere at the end of the 90s and the need for more pieces grew quietly over the years until i finally made DLgamer with my partners as the latest evolution of this service to gamers.

My dealings with MMORPGs companies were on a gamer's foot until about 2002 when i have started having "professional" relationships with them.

What i can tell you is that in this business especially for us Europeans who are playing what remains "foreign" made games, things are way more complicated that gamers can ever imagine.

While you can blame an editor for gameplay issues, any other type of problems that might arise the editor really has not much control over.
He can try and choose his partners with the upmost care, once the deal is signed he looses part of his control and becomes dependent on someone else's performance.

Sometimes a problem arises that no one is really to blame for, things just don't fall in a nice way, bad luck does exist.

Conspiracy theories and overanalysation of worthless details is one of gamers' greatest pleasures and we all thrive on this.
I know, i have strung out quite a few before i got a look at what goes on behind the scene.

While i don't want to go into details, i can tell you this, your assumption that i have no contacts with GoA representative is false.
It might be an holiday week end, we are most certainly talking and trying to find solutions.
I have been thouroughly impressed with the professionalism and courteousy GoA has shwon me so far and if you realised the level of dedication to their community, i have seen for them you would be ashamed of what you dare post on these boards.
One of the regrets i had when i started being a company man in addition to being a gamer was the loss of the free hand to flame i had, i decided i should be more "moderate" in my terms.
Some of the posts i have seen on this forum over the last days have made me feel that loss most accurately :)

Corran

Part of the furniture
DLgamer-oot said:
One of the regrets i had when i started being a company man in addition to being a gamer was the loss of the free hand to flame i had, i decided i should be more "moderate" in my terms.
Some of the posts i have seen on this forum over the last days have made me feel that loss most accurately :)

Go ahead, we wont tell anyone. Just do a 'Thugs' and make another account to say things on... Then you can also just blame it on either your mum or being drunk. It always worked honest :D

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
DLgamer-oot: I think we can agree on many thing, and not one GOA people I know is friendly, professional, and I know they do their best. Yet, after the experience where one provided false information and when got proven wrong he insisted on it and was rude, I think GOA can't be judged as a whole. Like with most communities there are nice and friendly people in them, and I know GOA has a lot of such people, and less friendly ones. I hope you managed to get CD keys from them in time.

I think most of the GMs I spoke with are friendly and nice, and if they blame Requiel and Zenythe for problems I am the first to tell, they can't be responsible and they are friendly, yet I can understand why many people doesn't trust the word of GOA everywhere. Both the old distribution problem with TOA, the other problem, etc were real, and such problems lead to broken trust. I think you learned from your own company not only the value of modesty, but also the value of trust and that it is hard to earn and it is easy to break. Where earning it begins? Where the official people is willing to say sorry if they made a mistake, I am 100% sure, if Ervinoss would say sorry for not knowing about the presence of international backbone providers and we agree that they aren't good for goa, and if they have problems, maybe we should get their contact emails, and post them in a sticky thread to help, that would restore a LOT of trust in him. If he would tell us: There is GOA contact email for distributors and if you can't buy the game in Hungary perhaps you should give this to the distributors / retailers you know... I would be happy. It is about this.

Admiting failures and trying to earn trust and considering it as important is an important thing. Yes I know, most people can have bad days, and don't know who posts with a fever and a headache, and who works even if he is ill to make stuff works, and breaking trust is easy, and admiting failure publicly can have its drawbacks, and admiting privately needs mutual trust: That says the other won't advertise your problems. Not an easy situation.

I certainly hope, Ervinoss can earn trust and respect of customers again, and while the current situation hurts it, it is also an excellent chance to show, he can solve problems instead of denying them, I am looking forvard to see it happen.

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
Corran said:
1) i cant download it in under 100 hours as on dialup.
Ask a guildie to help and download it for you and bring it to home on CDs or a DVD-R. It is a good workaround.

Corran said:
2) I cant pay to get the key as i dont use CC, only switch. Yet i understand this is not GoA's fault. All they would of been able to do differently is to put the day of release back to match UK, but then they stated they had technical reasons why it had to be done when it was... i believe.

Or to release the CDs earlier to allow a week delay with the distribution, but yes, there can be technical reasons for it: the CD wasn't ready before, and they had to releaseit on servers at easter.... :) Delaying release on UK servers only would be impossible. (for many reasons)

Corran

Part of the furniture
Esselinithia said:
Ask a guildie to help and download it for you and bring it to home on CDs or a DVD-R. It is a good workaround.

Believe me if i could do this i would, but i live in the middle of nowhere (Also known as scotland :p but shush i'm surrounded by hills and old people where i stay atm) and the nearest guildy i can think of will be about 3-5hrs drive each way... and that not taking into account the fact i cant drive at the moment due to injury :p

Normally i would get them to download it and post it.. but heck, it easter and that wouldnt work :D

edit: oO it time to go watch football, only floating about as im bored and cant get out for at least a few more days :(

pomalllka

Fledgling Freddie
Flimgoblin said:
scorge, I see you've ignored everything the GMs have told you as to why there is this delay (you'll note there was absolutely no problems anywhere else in europe other than holland/belgium, scandinavia got theirs fine).

It's nothing to do with it being a bank holiday weekend.

are you an employee of goa or merly kissing ass on every post u make ?

Pom

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
Holland, Belgium, United Kingdom, the countries not listed where people would order from UK, etc. I doubt he is an employee to GOA, but as I see he gets nice moderator powers here because he is on good terms with them. For some people modrator status is a power they earnedin a certain way and they know the benefits, and for some it is a work they got because they are trusted.

IainC

Flimgoblin has Mod status here because the people who run FH trust him to do that job responsibly. it's nothing to do with his status as a volunteer for Goa. Goa do not run these boards and have no say in the choice of moderators.

Also I'd take issue with
Esselinithia said:
Or to release the CDs earlier to allow a week delay with the distribution, but yes, there can be technical reasons for it: the CD wasn't ready before, and they had to releaseit on servers at easter.... Delaying release on UK servers only would be impossible. (for many reasons)
Please stop stating guesses as facts. As evidenced by Corrans reply from Play.com in this post just above, the game was shipped in plenty of time. The problem is not one of distribution or having the product ready for shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom