Give White Dye's

Pin

One of Freddy's beloved
yeah! make those paladins at amg even shinier!!

Archeon

Fledgling Freddie
White dye would be genuinly cool, we should start a petition about it and mail it to Mythic :D

Kagato

Fledgling Freddie
Its impossible, to get true pure white, due to how the graphics work, its in a grab bag somewhere but im much to lazy to look for it.

Arindra

Fledgling Freddie
Dyes work (in effect) by shining a coloured light on the undyed model.

Not sure what colour light you could shine on no-dye to make it turn white ;)

Only way they could do it is by introducing an actual new model for white dye specifically. :(

mts

Fledgling Freddie
Kagato said:
Its impossible, to get true pure white, due to how the graphics work, its in a grab bag somewhere but im much to lazy to look for it.

Yeah, I remember seeing that in a grab bag as well

Behmoth

Fledgling Freddie
why isn't it possible? we have pure white cloaks with emblems

Lythande

Fledgling Freddie
Because the emblems are a pre-drawn texture that's "glued" onto your cloak therefor it can be white whereas dyes only change the color of the "spotlight" that's shining on your (un-emblemized) cloak. If you understand what I mean. :D

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
Theres thousands of bugs, numerous overpowered classes, even more underpowered or bugged classes, dozens of available exploits, hundreds of issues...
But yeah I agree, white dyes are No1 priority!

edit: Plus more hats and possibly clogs

Archeon

Fledgling Freddie
Rulke said:
Theres thousands of bugs, numerous overpowered classes, even more underpowered or bugged classes, dozens of available exploits, hundreds of issues...
But yeah I agree, white dyes are No1 priority!

edit: Plus more hats and possibly clogs
Thats the spirit man, and nice angle with the clogs. ;)

Gorbash

One of Freddy's beloved
so whats to stop em shining three colours of RBG value onto the model? each making up the difference to 255 for each colour? :)

or do they use a different colour system? :(

Arindra

Fledgling Freddie
Gorbash said:
so whats to stop em shining three colours of RBG value onto the model? each making up the difference to 255 for each colour? :)

or do they use a different colour system? :(

The image on-screen is made up by starting with the basic model, then adding ambient light conditions, modified by the filter of any dye.

White light would simply show the original pattern.

And no matter how much light you have on a surface you cannot 'add' light values as such. A red surface is red because it can only reflect red light - it really doesn't matter how much (eg) green light you add, a red surface will absorb it all.

If you shine blue light on yellow surface (the equivalent of doing what you suggest), you get black, not white.

Buffer

Fledgling Freddie

And no matter how much light you have on a surface you cannot 'add' light values as such. A red surface is red because it can only reflect red light - it really doesn't matter how much (eg) green light you add, a red surface will absorb it all.

If you shine blue light on yellow surface (the equivalent of doing what you suggest), you get black, not white.

Not to sure about last statement tbh so not gonna argue it. The following is directed at the original poster as a follow up to who im quoting. White and Black are shades not strictly colours, hence we have the just off white colours in game. I think u would probably find that Black dye was not really black but just a very very dark colour. I think a good analogy is u have 1 litre of red paint(the colour of the model) u add 1 litre of white paint(your new dye or brightness, whatever its called), its now pink, i add 100 litres off white paint. Its now possibly just slightly off white. You add another 1000 litres of white paint its now what u would call white. But its not, its still a shade of red technically.

There are limits to gfx technology. I think the grab bag said it would require a major code change to allow it

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
Arindra said:
The image on-screen is made up by starting with the basic model, then adding ambient light conditions, modified by the filter of any dye.

Translation: The goblin that lives in your GFX card ran out of white crayons. Buying some more then jamming them in your CD drive should fix the problem.

Arindra

Fledgling Freddie
Buffer said:
Not to sure about last statement tbh so not gonna argue it. The following is directed at the original poster as a follow up to who im quoting. White and Black are shades not strictly colours, hence we have the just off white colours in game. I think u would probably find that Black dye was not really black but just a very very dark colour. I think a good analogy is u have 1 litre of red paint(the colour of the model) u add 1 litre of white paint(your new dye or brightness, whatever its called), its now pink, i add 100 litres off white paint. Its now possibly just slightly off white. You add another 1000 litres of white paint its now what u would call white. But its not, its still a shade of red technically.t

Black dye works by just reducing all light levels on your model, grey dyes do the same, only less so. They don't mix with anything as such, they just multiply light levels by a small number. When you look at a black item, you are really looking at an undyed item rendered as if it were in the dark.

Perhaps the key point is that dyes can't 'add white paint'. All they can do is absorb existing light.

No dye in daoc will ever make an item a lighter colour.

As for the 'off-white' discussion, I think this is what people above are asking for above - if you don't want off-whites than you'd lose all the detail on every model.

What you'd need is some process which instead of reducing the amount of light reflected by some proportion (as dyes do), reduced the amount of light absorbed by some proportion *and still took account of intended local light levels to reduce the brightness of your model to match it's surroundings*. So that detail on the models remained, but you don't glow in the dark.

It's not that this would be strictly impossible to do mechanically - but you can't do it with a simple built-in function, and it's hard to get it working consistently across all models.

Paint mixing as an analogy can produce incorrect results intuitively - reflecting light is not like mixing paint.

Archeon

Fledgling Freddie
I'd settle for a beige, maybe cream. Ohh! Lylak Yellow!!!!

Shamyn

Fledgling Freddie
White is impossible? what about siabra raider scale armour? It's a drop that is orange when it drops, but once it has enamel remover applied to it it is white. If someone can be arsed to post a screenie :worthy:

XeffoInfil

Fledgling Freddie
Lythande said:
Because the emblems are a pre-drawn texture that's "glued" onto your cloak therefor it can be white whereas dyes only change the color of the "spotlight" that's shining on your (un-emblemized) cloak. If you understand what I mean. :D
no :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom