Advice Giffgaff help

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
My mum has just obtained an iPhone 4 and a Giffgaff SIM which I cut and setup for her.

She's ported her old number across and topped up with £10 of credit. Texting and phoning works absolutely fine, as does data access over wifi.

However, data over the mobile network doesn't work (I can't get down to the folks tonight) and I've talked her through the mobile data settings on her phone (APN = giffgaff.com, username = giffgaff, password = password) but it doesn't seem to be working. I've got her to turn it off and on again, but still no luck.

According to the website, the following is standard:

UK tariffs

Calls, texts, call forwarding and video calls to giffgaff Free
Calls to other UK mobiles, landlines (starting 01, 02, 03) 10p per minute
Texts to other UK mobiles and landlines 6p per text
Voice mail 8p per call
Mobile Internet (up to 20MB) 20p per day
Picture messages (MMS) to giffgaff and other mobiles (max 300KB) 16p per MMS
Video calls to other mobiles 50p per minute
Call forwarding to other mobiles and landlines 10p per minute
Free phone numbers (starting 080 & 0500) Free

This would indicate that standard credit would allow her to use data, but it appears that's not the case.

Has this perhaps changed? Does she need a goodybag now? Any advice welcome.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Reading that I would say that she is allowed up to 20mb a day for mobile internet at 20pence. (ie I read that as data usage)

old.user4556

That's what I thought, absolutely can't get it working though.

old.user4556

Did some digging, looks like number porting takes up to 48 hours from the day of the porting to be 100% complete and for data to work. Someone else on GiffGaff is having the same issue and was told that.

Guess we'll need to see tomorrow.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Did some digging, looks like number porting takes up to 48 hours from the day of the porting to be 100% complete and for data to work. Someone else on GiffGaff is having the same issue and was told that.

Guess we'll need to see tomorrow.
Fingers crossed fella!

Starman

Part of the furniture
I'm on giffgaff myself - I buy a £10 per month goodybag which gives me 250mins/"unlimited" SMS & data.

Nice to see them offering Micro SIMs officially now for you poor iPhone owners.

old.user4556

"Mum, did you put the details for the mobile network in EXACTLY as i sent them to you in my email?"

"YESSSSS, EXACTLY"

/gets in car, drives all the way over to parents house

/checks settings, they're all wrong and not the same as my email

God bless my mum, but she's like every other women - it's not that she didn't type them in properly, it's the fact that the iPhone's screen is too small and "HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO SEE THAT?"

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
I was going to suggest checking the APN settings at the beginning of the thread, but I see you went around to your Mum's place in the end.
APN settings are the bane of many people's mobile lives. Even the replacement phone I got this week has incomplete APN settings for data, and that's fresh out of the box! I had to key in mobile web and MMS settings.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
OT, but related. I'm delighted with Giffgaff. Vodafone PAYG was a complete rip-off. I was topping up more & more frequently with them as their call charges were outrageous. Now I have infinite texts, infinite data & plenty of minutes talk time.

old.user4556

Yeah it's been great for me, only had one hiccup with service and that was woeful 3G performance in outer London.

£10 a month, super.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
I've run data without a goody bag several times. Since it's free for me now give me your mums number thx.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom