GFX problems, hardware related?

Cirandi

One of Freddy's beloved
the last few days i've been getting really weird GFX errors, and it's only getting worse.

screenshot.JPG

Anyone know what it is?

I've got a fairly good comp, P¤ 2,8 GHz, radeon 9700, 1 GB ram which i've had for a while, but never seen anything like this before.

At first i thought the card was running hot, so i took it out, and sure, it was a bit dusty so i used compressed air to blow away the dirt. This didn't help at all unfortunately :p

I'd be thankful if anyone could help out, or at least help me understand what the problem might be.

Tried reinstalling drivers too ofc but that didn't do anything either.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
eek as far as I know that looks like the memory on your gfx card acting up Cirandi. if it's still under warranty you could take it back to the shop you got it from and it may be replaced.

is it possible that you put in a different card to make sure that it's not something else?

if you can't get a replacement free you may consider an ATi 700 model or an nVidia 6800 type card. they're more powerful than your current card and also aren't terribly expensive

Ormorof

FH is my second home
you sure its the PC the problem is with?

what type of monitor you using?

i had a similar problem using a 17" TFT, though the problem was restricted to the bottom of the screen, (realised it was monitor when same problem came up on all my PC's) :p

Cirandi

One of Freddy's beloved
Using a 17" TFT... :p

I'll switch to another old crappy monitor and see if that fixes it...

Nope didn't sort it unfortunately.

TdC: Thanks for the suggestion, i was kinda hoping you'd not say something like that, it was pretty much what i feared was the problem.
And about the warranty thingie, i'm leasing this through my job, and as long as i haven't done something stupid, like scrub the inside with soap and water they'll replace the parts for free... It's just the inconvenience of sending my comp away for 2 weeks :p

TdC

it's a guess though. better to be safe than sorry. yeah, I know RMAing anything is a real pain in the arse, but you'll get it back good as ever, I'm sure :)

Chilly

Balls of steel
Have you been overclockign the card or using it for very long periods in hot rooms? That looks like it could be thermal damage?

Cirandi

One of Freddy's beloved
Nope, no overclocking, and it's well ventilated in my living room... Not near a radiator or anything.

The weird thing is i get these errors all the way during the boot up sequence, even in BIOS... This kinda points to a hardware failure doesn't it?

TdC

I'm afraid so (once you've re-seated your cable connections just to be sure). I'd RMA the thing to your company. With luck you may even get a faster card back for it :)

Cirandi

One of Freddy's beloved
Yeah, talked to them today and they'll come pick up the comp monday...

The only sucky thing is 2 weeks without a comp (if i don't fire up the old p133 i have in the basement and hope it doesn't explode). That's half a lifetime for an addict like me ^^

Thanks for your help and advice everyone. :cheers: :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom