GFX Card Connectors query

Bahumat

FH is my second home
My current PSU is Hiper HPU-4M580 580W ATX2.2 PSU - Black.

It has 1 of the 6 pin (2x3) PCI-E power cables.

Alot of the new graphics cards require 2 of these power cables. I currently have 1 of the Molex to PCI-e adapters, but I once heard people say "oh you need the 2x Molex into 1 PCI-e power cable adapters".

Can I just use 1 - 1 conversion, or should I really be using a 2 - 1 conversion?

Thanks in advance

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
think i only 1-1 on my gtx 260 and it worked fine

hard to say for different cards tho

Kryten

Old Cow.
aye you should be fine with a 1 to 1 in that case. If it doesn't work, grab a spare cable and choppy choppy.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
:/ hyper psu's they tend to go pop alot

Bahumat

FH is my second home
ahh thats not good to hear Yaka! Mine has been ok for about a year or 2.

Got myself a Radeon XFX 4890 HD XT 1gb for £140 off overclockers

Yaka

Part of the furniture
i had hiper modular psu for one of my pcs 3 years ago, capacitors inside blew and leaked. they sent out a replacement preety quick which was nice , 2 days after i contacted em about it. at that time there was big issue with em and there still is judging by other hardware forums they seem to fail more than others

Bahumat

FH is my second home
i had hiper modular psu for one of my pcs 3 years ago, capacitors inside blew and leaked. they sent out a replacement preety quick which was nice , 2 days after i contacted em about it. at that time there was big issue with em and there still is judging by other hardware forums they seem to fail more than others

That's handy to know. If I have any trouble with the new card, I will buy a new PSU. If I still have trouble then I'll contact overclockers about the card.

For once I am hoping I buy some hardware without any fuck ups.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Lol card arrived yesterday just before work so I got started this morning. My Hiper 580w PSU cant be used. It's only got 3 Molex connectors. I currently use 1 on HDD and 1 on DVD drive. I am hesitant to use a 1molex to 1 pci-e 6pin plug adapter so I have bought a 750w Modular Be Quiet PSU.

Am hoping I get no more suprises...

Bahumat

FH is my second home
be quiet are decent make, should be sorted now

My morning was horrible!

Got the Be Quiet PSU and its awesome. It's a little longer than normal, but thats fine as the cases give you about 3-5 inchs of space for the length. The problem was I had to take out the CPU Heatsink to take out my old PSU. As soon as I did this, I thought "shit, i have no thermal paste". I bought some and then cleaned off the old paste.

After fitting the PSU and GFX card I started to put the heatsink back on. I have a Q6600 so its those 4 demon plugs from hell! I spent about 20 minutes swearing whilst trying to plug them back in. Every time I tried, the plunger pushed the black thing between the 2 points and they would not go in properly. I tried lots of different ways of pushing them in but with such limited space it was impossible.

Out comes the mobo and after 5 minutes I plug the demon spawn heatsink back in. Everything else after that seems to be ok, also XFX have a nice little application which automatically searches for the latest drivers :)

The Be Quiet PSU is the 750w version. When you turn your pc on you get a cool WHOOSH! noice, then it's pretty much silent. Money well spent I think!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom