Film Get Your Ass to Mars!

ECA

I am a FH squatter
arghhhhhhhh so excited.

Bryan Cranston is amazing, this would be amazing.

DO IT.

Bryan Cranston is negotiations to play the villain in Columbia's remake of Total Recall.
Colin Farrell is toplining the action movie, which is being directed by Len Wiseman and produced by Neal Moritz and his Original Film banner.
The original 1990 movie was based on a Philip K. Dick story, "We Can Remember It for You Wholesale." The film followed a man haunted by a recurring dream of journeying to Mars who buys a literal dream vacation from a company called Rekall Inc., which sells implanted memories. The man comes to believe he is a secret agent and ends up on a Martian colony, where he fights to overthrow a despotic ruler controlling the production of air.
The new story involves nation states Euromerica and New Shanghai, with Douglas Quaid (Farrell) a factory worker in the latter who begins to believe he is a spy, although he doesn't know for which side.
Cranston would play Vilos Cohaagen, the leader of Euromerica who, under the cover of protecting his people, is secretly readying an invasion of New Shanghai.
While racking up Emmys for his work in AMC's Breaking Bad, Cranston has been working steadily in film. He is currently on screens with Matthew McConaughey in The Lincoln Lawyer and has Tom Hanks' Larry Crowne in the can. He will also be seen with Ryan Gosling in Drive and Disney's John Carter of Mars.

YouTube - Johnny cab clips from total recall

megadave

I am a FH squatter
As great as Cranston is (uber great in BB and as Hal) Colin Farrell to replace Arnie? :( :mad: Doomed to fail!

Everz

FH is my second home
I stopped reading after Farrell to replace Arnie?

Flop inc.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Sounds good enough, have to see. It's a good movie to rehash. Farrell is an interesting choice(compared), but also fun and it could mean the movie is less 80s popcorn action.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Why must they remake things?

Capitalism.

The chances of earning money off a remake of an old successful film are several orders of magnitude higher than original product.

And yep, I think it's gash to remake it too. It'll probably be a good film tho 'cause the source material is great :(

I have to say tho, ECA, that I agree with you - Total Recall is fucking EXCELLENT :D

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
This has to be said once again, as it does every time; you can ignore the remake. It does no harm. It brings new audience to an old story and so on.

A remake doesn't make the old movie worse, UNLESS you suddenly realise just how crap the movie is these days.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
If its more like the book, it has the potential to be very good.

Total Recall is fun, but hardly a great film.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I'm old enough to remember going to watch the original, at Warner Bros Pilsworth. Ah, the glittering lights, the crumbs of popcorn skidding across the polished tiled floor of one of the country's then new multiplex cinemas.

Now its a complete shithole, closed for business, and everyone goes to the Trafford Centre, which doesn't even have ushers to boot out the clowns.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
I'm old enough to remember going to watch the original, at Warner Bros Pilsworth. Ah, the glittering lights, the crumbs of popcorn skidding across the polished tiled floor of one of the country's then new multiplex cinemas.

Now its a complete shithole, closed for business, and everyone goes to the Trafford Centre, which doesn't even have ushers to boot out the clowns.

a cinema full of clowns would SERIOUSLY freak me out.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

A pattern repeated across the country unfortunately Tom old bean :(

And, loathe as I am to start a debate up with Toht ;)

It does no harm.

It severely limits the amount of space for original new content and IMO stops the kids trying something new.

Dunno about cinema near you but UK multiplexes are hotbeds of chavs watching the 90% absolute gash that's pumped out by the US. Leaves no space for this or this sort of thing in England.

Consequently people grow up watching the same old pap and the idea of challenging themselves doesn't occur to 'em. It's not something I place squarely at the foot of remakes but they compound the problem.

I mean, they remade Rear Window ffs!

Edit: And I think they're remaking Girl With A Dragon Tattoo in the US right now? Luddites couldn't watch a subtitled movie 'cause they can barely read :(

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
No debate there, valid reasonings for against remakes. Neither side really has any superiority on the issue, some have a problem with it, some don't. Some care for art films, some don't. Some harm may come, might not. Those who don't challenge themselves, hardly would go watch the challenging movies either. Not that the original total recall is any art masterpiece, or generation changing epic.

At the end of the day, people forget remakes altogether after a week, until the next one pops up and it all starts again. If it's a crap movie, they forget it even easier. If it's a good remake, well...batman did alright.

A remake hardly will make&break the youth, or change the world and as said, you can always just ignore it.

Bigmac

Part of the furniture
Leave the classics alone! Have a original thought!

ECA

I am a FH squatter
I'm sad.

Not set on mars anymore.
total_recall_image.jpg

The film was written by Kurt Wimmer, Mark Bomback, and James Vanderbilt, and also stars Kate Beckinsale, Jessica Biel, Bill Nighy, Ethan Hawk and Bryan Cranston. Farrell plays Douglas Quaid, a factory worker in the latter who begins to believe he is a spy, although he doesn't know for which side. The movie will ditch the Martian storyline from the original pic and instead involves nation states Euromerica and New Shanghai.

Here are a few more details for the film that were offered up in EW from Ferrell,

“the tone will be much less jokey” than Arnold Schwarzenegger‘s 1990′s sci-fi hit. He says, “there’s not as much tongue-in-cheek” and that he wouldn’t feel comfortable delivering lines like ‘Consider dat a divorce!’” We know “the new story involves nation states Euromerica and New Shanghai, with Douglas Quaid (Farrell) a factory worker in the latter who begins to believe he is a spy, although he doesn’t know for which side.” Cranston plays Vilos Cohaagen, “the leader of Euromerica who, under the cover of protecting his people, is secretly readying an invasion of New Shanghai.”

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I've only seen the movie, and I liked the martian resistance :D

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
useful info of the day - Minority Report (with Tom Cruise) was originally supposed to be a sequel to Totall Recall

No doubt most of you book lovers know this but im sure there are many who didnt

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
another burning bamboo splinter shoved under the fingernails of my childhood :(

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I really liked Minority Report, i should really read some Philip K Dick stories.

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
On the way in to work this morning i had a thought, no way would America accept the name Euromerica, they are so arrogant it would have to be something like 'America and allies' or something crazy like 'United States of America'

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Hollywood has turned into the McDonalds version of itself, it started for me with Judge Dread, we had some wide eyed, innocent hope that there was always someone in the process who would make it right, but the accountants had them shot, it's a simple equation, so simple I can't even argue with it,
What sells?
Incorporate it into every single genre

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom