German CM post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Post from the german CM:
http://forum1.onlinewelten.com/showp...&postcount=209

It basically says

"Guys, if the technicians gave me an ETA i would give it to you but double the hours before posting it. Unfortunately, my only info is "maintenance is over, give us feedback asap.

i know you want hard facts and honest aplogies, but facts are hard to give atm

Today at GOA, the word Catastrophe fell very often, and if today's events have no consequences, it would surprise me.

and Mythic apparently had similar probs in their first PW
(and GOA knew that and still decided not to launch sooner)
which doesnt justify todays misery"

I like this guy he's honest for starters.

Kinag

Part of the furniture
I never thought I'd hear a GM in any game would admit to such a thing. Good going.

pez

Can't get enough of FH
Its a catastrophuck! To the Pub we all go!

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
ta.

Yeah, the account pages today haven't exactly been good.

dee777

Loyal Freddie
Nice find mate, thanks for sharing. It was very soothing to read such decent words. That guy should get a promotion IMO. After todays...incidents...there might a vacant position in the communications department anyway.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Yep as soon as i saw i just thought that guy is fucking honest about the whole situation and gives it straight.

I am not being funny but i hope Magnus/Iain take it on board.

Fink

One of Freddy's beloved
Take it on board? They'll probably sack the guy for whistle blowing and not showing a united front.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Also folks i am seeing a lot of trace routes by folks on boards i thought i would post this one

Tracing route to authid.goa.com [193.252.133.68]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms ***********
2 29 ms 30 ms 29 ms -dsl1.wh.zen.net.uk [62.3.83.20]
3 30 ms 29 ms 30 ms bolzano-ae-0-232.wh.zen.net.uk [62.3.80.233]
4 30 ms 44 ms 29 ms ge-6-8.car1.Manchesteruk.Level3.net [195.16.169.
89]
5 46 ms 36 ms 37 ms ae-4-4.ebr1.London1.Level3.net [4.69.133.102]
6 38 ms 41 ms 38 ms ae-0-53.gar1.London1.Level3.net [4.68.116.75]
7 43 ms 42 ms 42 ms so-5-1-0-0.loncr5.London.opentransit.net [193.25
1.254.97]
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 45 ms 48 ms 49 ms rtmt2goa02-v221.net.m1.fti.net [81.52.142.42]
13 * rtmt2goa02-v221.net.m1.fti.net [81.52.142.42] reports: Destinatio
n net unreachable.

Seems the whole thing falls apart once it hits the france telecoms network.

arknor

Fledgling Freddie
I never thought I'd hear a GM in any game would admit to such a thing. Good going.

i wish GOA would explain why there are problems and what they can do to fix them rather than just pretend everything is fine and burry there heads in the sand until they have something good to say.

like how CCP is with there eve-online mmo the amount of comunication there devs have on there official forums is crazy and they always give details and an ETA if they have problems

Fink

One of Freddy's beloved
They shouldnt have to tell us what they need to do to fix them. They should either say its up or its down. Its fucking simple (Excuse my language)

The fact is that because there are so many people stuck with no eta for the fixes they need to implement they are going to remain on the sites, hitting f5 and going blind.

Draylor

Part of the furniture
God help us.

Like most folks here I havent played daoc in years, but I still shudder every time I see the dreaded words 'opentransit' in a traceroute.

Lomme

Fledgling Freddie
God help us.

Like most folks here I havent played daoc in years, but I still shudder every time I see the dreaded words 'opentransit' in a traceroute.

Haha, exactly my thought!

neillbroderick

Fledgling Freddie
Post from the german CM:

It basically says

"Guys, if the technicians gave me an ETA i would give it to you but double the hours before posting it. Unfortunately, my only info is "maintenance is over, give us feedback asap.

Today at GOA, the word Catastrophe fell very often, and if today's events have no consequences, it would surprise me.

this guy is sooo sacked in the morning - he just admitted to the world they are having probs whereas our CM's have kept sthum - prolly coz they were told too

10/10 for honestly thou and credit where credit is due he is at least telling it how it is

Pardie

Fledgling Freddie
English is not my native language, pls forgive me any mistakes i made trying to translate Sterntaler's post.
After being asked what "soon" exactly means he answered that it's an "IT soon". He didn't know any ETA from the technicans but he guessed it might be 40 to 80 minutes.
Posted this an hour ago, so the 40 minutes allready passed. ;)

----------------

Hallo,

zunächst möchte ich mich für die lange Wartezeit und die Probleme mit der Aboseite entschuldigen. Ja, es war vorhersehbar, dass sie Probleme macht und ja es ist kein guter Plan, sowas am selben Tag zu machen. So wurde durch die Fehler der Seite aus einem normalen Stresstest des Systems ein Stresstest für euch.

Nachdem die Probleme mit der Aboseite, bzw. ihrer Kommunikation mit der Accountdatenbank noch nicht gelöst sind, versuchen wir gleich noch einen weiteren Ansatz. Auf alle Fälle lassen wir die Techniker nicht in Ruhe, bevor ihr uns in Ruhe lasst.

Was dagegen die Beschränkung der Fraktionen auf 500 Spieler angeht, bitte ich euch, diese Zahlen im vollen Zusammenhang zu zitieren.
Ihr müsst keinen zweiten Flaschenhals fürchten, wenn ihr endlich durch die Registrierung eures Codes durch sein werdet. Abhängig von der steigenden Bevölkerung stehen wir bereit, die Bevölkerungszahlen sofort zu erhöhen oder weitere deutsche Server bereit zu stellen.
Es soll simuliert werden, wie sich die anstürmenden Spieler am besten und gleichmäßigsten auf die Server verteilen lassen. Nun sabotiert unsere Aboseite gerade den Ansturm (zumindest den auf die Server), aber ihr könnt euch sicher sein, dass ihr nach dem Patchen eine Heimat findet.

-------------
Translation:
Hello,

first of all i'd like to excuse for the long wait and all the problems with the registration page.
Yes, it was to be expected, that problems will occure and yes, it wasn't the smartest of all plans to shedule registration and open beta start for the same day.
This way something that should have been a stresstest for our servers ended being a stresstest for you players.

Cause the problems with the registration page still aren't solved yet, we're trying something new soon.
At the very least we're not going to stop pushing the technicans till all of you are pleased.

Regarding the server capacities (500 player per fraction) i'll assure you, that as soon as you pass the registration you won't have to wait till you are able to log in.
Raising server capacities according to actual need will help us to split the community best among the servers at the day of release.

Reza

One of Freddy's beloved
Unlike Mythic, whenever GOA talk publicly they arent just concerned with what impression they give to the player base but also (and no doubt more importantly) what impression they create with Mythic.

We arent privy to the details of their contract, but I wouldnt be suprised if there was some sort of SLA that GOA would worry about being seen not to meet.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Also folks i am seeing a lot of trace routes by folks on boards i thought i would post this one

Tracing route to authid.goa.com [193.252.133.68]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms ***********
2 29 ms 30 ms 29 ms -dsl1.wh.zen.net.uk [62.3.83.20]
3 30 ms 29 ms 30 ms bolzano-ae-0-232.wh.zen.net.uk [62.3.80.233]
4 30 ms 44 ms 29 ms ge-6-8.car1.Manchesteruk.Level3.net [195.16.169.
89]
5 46 ms 36 ms 37 ms ae-4-4.ebr1.London1.Level3.net [4.69.133.102]
6 38 ms 41 ms 38 ms ae-0-53.gar1.London1.Level3.net [4.68.116.75]
7 43 ms 42 ms 42 ms so-5-1-0-0.loncr5.London.opentransit.net [193.25
1.254.97]
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 45 ms 48 ms 49 ms rtmt2goa02-v221.net.m1.fti.net [81.52.142.42]
13 * rtmt2goa02-v221.net.m1.fti.net [81.52.142.42] reports: Destinatio
n net unreachable.

That's just routers that don't respond to pings, the problem is at hop 12 (which is giving you a 45ms ping) on to hop 13.

Draylor

Part of the furniture
this guy is sooo sacked in the morning
His job is Community Manager.

By definition its a job that cant be done properly without pissing off everyone: since you have to tell both your community and your bosses what they dont want to hear.

Shit happens, in the end the german players still have to trust what he says tomorrow. So far hes making sure they will.

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
Can we make a transfer agreement with the Germans. Both IainC and Magnus for Sterntaller :clap:

This is community management. Not the empty words that we're used to.

Hammahead

Fledgling Freddie
The original post by the german CM was deleted.
So I guess 'some' people didn't like it.
Wonder if he got a job tomorrow >_>

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
The original post by the german CM was deleted.
So I guess 'some' people didn't like it.
Wonder if he got a job tomorrow >_>

nah Aada just copied the "..." link which isn't a real link (he copied what the forum software transforms it into, rather than the link itself)

Draylor

Part of the furniture
IainC isnt all bad, despite the abuse Ive directed at him over the years he still answers my questions.

God knows why actually, Id tell me to piss off ;)

Moo

Fledgling Freddie
Post from the german CM:

It basically says

Just fyi: there were no such problems in the first PW @ US servers. Wanna know why? Because the accounts website was up and running WAY before the day the servers went up, so there was no mad rush to register + enter keys.

That's whats so criminal here - if they'd only put the accounts registration process live 2 weeks ago, hell even 1 week ago or a few days ago at the least - then this probably wouldnt have happened. Or at least if it did happen it would have happened last week, in working hours and they would have had a nice long time before beta launch.

It's not like this is new territory for them or any company involved in MMO's. You go giving out a buttload of beta keys and people will swamp your servers. Most of us knew they'd fail, they kept telling us things would be different this time and a lot of people, perhapds foolishly, gave them the benefit of the doubt.

By the way guys, if you want to join the winning team - Gamestop.com - Buy PS3, PS2, PSP, Wii, DS, Xbox 360, Used, PC Games and Consoles sells the US version to UK / Euro addresses - and they'll mail you your beta/headstart keys.

neillbroderick

Fledgling Freddie
His job is Community Manager.

By definition its a job that cant be done properly without pissing off everyone: since you have to tell both your community and your bosses what they dont want to hear.

Shit happens, in the end the german players still have to trust what he says tomorrow. So far hes making sure they will.

he sure is but if you would have quoted my whole post it also said that he prolly wasnt supposed to say is was an epic fail as our CM's haven't - thats why i think he is in for a spanking - GL thou the guy has the balls to say what he thinks at least

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Hes telling the truth. Do you really think anyone at GOA could deny it?

Heh, it'd be lovely to eavesdrop on the communication between GOA & Mythic over the next day or 2 :)

Pardie

Fledgling Freddie
He's been there since DAOC launch, started as a GOA GM back then, became german DAOC CM about 3 years after launch.
Anyway, 4 minutes left then his guess (40 to 80 minutes) has past.

At least he was brave enough to try though when being asked. ;)

Original post can be found here btw.
W.A.R | News | Die Server sind online

I like that Magnus guy though, don't really think he's any worse or better than Sterntaler.

Pardie ;)

Edit: For those who speak german, link title is the same like the original thread title in the german board ... no idea how to change it. ;)

Downanael

Fledgling Freddie
Maybe they now start addressing our worries,or atleast you can live on the hope.

neillbroderick

Fledgling Freddie
Hes telling the truth. Do you really think anyone at GOA could deny it?

Heh, it'd be lovely to eavesdrop on the communication between GOA & Mythic over the next day or 2 :)

too tru it would be nice to be a fly on that wall!

Amelyn

Fledgling Freddie
Mythic has been on their asses since early morning, so I do think they're trying to look after our interests (which is their interest >_<)

from MBJ @ WHA

Folks,

As you might have expected, Mythic has been talking to GOA for the entire day about today's events. GOA is still our partner and no matter what the difficulties are right now, we must act as partners. I expect you'll be hearing more shortly.

Mark

P.S. The key Mythic personnel (including yours truly) have been involved in these discussions since way too early this morning. Hopefully that will give you some comfort on how seriously we are taking things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom