General Election 2005

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
SawTooTH said:
Im voting for Jonty
hehe, that's two or three votes, perhaps we'd better have that FreddysHouse party after all ;)

Kind Regards

Ormorof

FH is my second home
throdgrain said:
When I was at school we still had corperal (sp?) punishment btw, well ,it was finished in my 3rd year .
Honestly, kids behaviour since then has got steadily worse.

discipline and behaviour can be blamed on the parents just as much as the schools, keeping people in line through fear just isnt feasible in this day and age; )

discipline starts at home after all, if the parents cant control their kids then there's no hope for the school to do so, with or without a cane ;)

Stazbumpa

Fledgling Freddie
It doesn't help when any and all fucktards are dropping sprogs like mad. When you have utter wankers for parents then you will have utter wankers for children.

The rather silly welfare system which can actually make it pay to not work and to instead squirt out kids on a regular basis is partly to blame for this. With regards to fear not keeping people in line, I disagree. A healthy dose of fear makes the world go round, if you have no fear then what is to stop you from doing anything wrong?

For the record, I'm voting Tory, because I can't stand Labour (although I supported their descision to go to war) and I will NEVER vote Lib Dem because they have no fucking clue, and probably never will have. As for Joe Public, most people when asked will say "Don't talk to me about politics, I don't care/don't know/find it boring".
This is why Labour got in at the last election despite only 25% of the country voting for them.

haarewin

Fledgling Freddie
Ormorof said:
discipline and behaviour can be blamed on the parents just as much as the schools, keeping people in line through fear just isnt feasible in this day and age; )

discipline starts at home after all, if the parents cant control their kids then there's no hope for the school to do so, with or without a cane ;)

the government need to send a supernanny clone on daily visits to every household with children in the nation. she'll soon sort them out!
whoever can keep that promise will get my vote ;)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Theres a lot to be said for right-wing politics (and a lot against I might add). When I was at school, if I misbehaved I got a wooden board duster chucked at my head. Try that now, and the teacher would likely be sacked at the least.

Stazbumpa

Fledgling Freddie
I don't agree with corporal punishment, the point I think is that there is no team work between parents and schools. Parents today send their kids to school and expect the school to do everything for them.
A school sending a letter home because little Johnny has been bad doesn't have anywhere near the desired effect because most parents couldn't give a shit what he's been doing, as long as he's out of the house and out of their way then its the school's problem.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I agree with corporal punishment. I believe its more of a deterant than anything else.
I had a few times at scool where I received this punishment and I would try my hardest to get another type of punishment. I would also try not do the same thing again which made me get the punishment in the first place!!

Parents do have a huge responsiblity towards their children which a lot of the time they do not assume. They seem to think its the governments responsiblity.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Tom said:
Theres a lot to be said for right-wing politics (and a lot against I might add). When I was at school, if I misbehaved I got a wooden board duster chucked at my head. Try that now, and the teacher would likely be sacked at the least.

Or have a chair thrown back at them.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
There's no way corporal punishment could come back - I think (or at least I'd like to think) that if any parent heard that their kid had been smacked by some teacher they'd go and kick the shit out of them. If I had a kid who got paddled by some teacher I sure as fuck would make him think twice about doing it again.

Stazbumpa

Fledgling Freddie
But what would you do to sort out said child if they had been misbehaving at school?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
nath said:
There's no way corporal punishment could come back - I think (or at least I'd like to think) that if any parent heard that their kid had been smacked by some teacher they'd go and kick the shit out of them. If I had a kid who got paddled by some teacher I sure as fuck would make him think twice about doing it again.

If my Dad had found out some of the things I got up to at school, I'd have been in even more trouble. Kid misbehaves = punishment. Parent furious at school = kid feels justified.

Not the correct message tbh.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Perhaps not the correct message - but I don't care tbh, someone smacks my kid, someone gets a smack.

Staz - not sure what I'd do, depends on what said kid is in to. Could ground him if s/he likes going out lots, ban internet usage/tv etc. etc. There's plenty of things that don't resort to violence, which is what it is really.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Ormorof said:

Yes, and the people with 5-15 year old kids now are the first people who didnt have any canings if they did anything wrong at school. Follow where Im going?
When I was a kid if I turned up without my trainers for PE the teacher would say what size do you take?
"10 sir.."
"go get me one from that box over there"
*I goes and gets*
*he hits me with it*

Noone really gets hurt, but I dont forget me trainers next time.

Was a bit Dynamo Digby though ... :)

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Sure, and if you cut off someones hands - they're likely not gunna steal any more bread.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
You think you know the answer to this one mate, but Im sure that I do too.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
nath said:
Sure, and if you cut off someones hands - they're likely not gunna steal any more bread.

oh , and sorry but thats a pretty facile statement, now I come to think about it.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Perhaps - but I think both are overly harsh responses to the crime committed. I don't claim to know the answer to this but I certainly believe that corporal punishment is not on. It may well have left you a decent, ok human being but I don't feel that justifies it.

Chilly

Balls of steel
Milkshake said:
I kinda want some of the Cons policies, some of Labours and one or two of the Liberals.

Thus, I have no idea where I'm gonna vote. However, at the moment, I'm probably gonna go Labour, just because I like Tony Blair. I'd say it's the spin that does it, but I don't think I've seen any good spin on him for quite a while recently.

However, I look around my community. There's less neds, tower blocks been knocked down, the local academy got a big chunk of money and I was in it recently...and it's plush! Lucky sods :D

We've even ended up with an outside basketball court, something we've been campaigning for quite a while.

My two trips to the hospital have been fine, nothing serious, but everything was done to help.

I've seen more police around than I can ever remember, especially out on the beat. I even had a 10 min chat with one, who was saying crime was seriously down the last couple of years, and how he was worried they'd cut staff because of it and crime'd go back up.

I also get my Uni fees paid for me, and I'm in a position where I can scrape by without taking a loan, so once I come out of Uni I'll be sitting pretty.

Shit, we even got new outside lights recently, everything's way brighter compared to the old orange buzzy ones we had.

I dunno if that's because we're in Scotland, and we get some things better...but tbh, I see good, not bad, so Blair gets my vote.
thats exactly the attitude everyone should have. If you like what the government has done for YOU then vote for them, if not then dont. It should be as simple as that, but alas for our illegal governments of the last 150 years :(

Skyler

Fledgling Freddie
Conservatives were pretty shite... but Labour have been just as shite.

Since Labour got in my area has got progressively worse. Usually my area has a Liberal council and they've always been ok. But the Labour council are utter idiots here.

The area is getting progressively worse. Loads more scum moving here and loads more bad things such as muggings taking place.

I think also that Council Tax has risen here by about 50% since Labour councils took over. I believe it's about to rise another 7% or so this year... I don't even really keep track of it but it's always being raised.

The best thing I've seen from the council here is the initiation of recycling bins and all that trash seperation... but I believe that is a national thing.

I like what someone said many pages ago "never give a party more than two consecutive terms" or something like that. I totally agree, although I never really thought about it.

None of the big three have total sets of policies I agree with. Liberal has the best council tax thing/tax rich more stuff... but they suck in other areas and wont ever get in.

I honestly do not know how Labour can get back in this time though, the stuff they've pulled the last few years is terrible and they should be gone.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Just had the local conservative candidate at my door, very interested in civil liberties, not that interested in reducing road fuel tax.

I don't know why everybody is getting so worked up about 'tory cuts'. I quite like the idea of a government that doesn't think it should tax everybody to high heaven 'for the greater good'. How about letting people make their own mistakes, instead of legislating against them?

Quite chuffed really that I've never voted for Labour. Even at the 97 election I voted Conservative.

Gengi

Fledgling Freddie
Skyler said:
Conservatives were pretty shite... but Labour have been just as shite.

I honestly do not know how Labour can get back in this time though, the stuff they've pulled the last few years is terrible and they should be gone.

Labour will win a third term next month mostly by inertia, in a similar way to when John Major won in 1992, against a backdrop of disgruntled voters and disasterous policy decisions, and with a collapsing economy.

This government has pissed people off, and there is a lot of anger over being lied to about the reasons for going to war, but there was a lot of anger about the Poll Tax, there was a lot of anger about The Criminal Justice Bill, Clause 17 and various other policies from the Thatcher Legacy.

Inertia is a difficult thing to overcome, it takes action on the part of the voters, and frankly I don't think we care enough to get up off our collective arse and take the action.

The People get the Government they deserve, can't remember who said it originally but I do think it is very apt.

This has been a Party Political Broadcast on behalf of ' Nobody, Really'

Later

Gengee

Skyler

Fledgling Freddie
Who the hell cares about the Poll Tax... it was beaten years ago by the people. Labour has added just as much crappy tax but no one does anything about it.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
There was a great moment on the news the other day:

Howard had visited a hospital trying to work his magic there.
Afterwards the media had a Q&A session. One guy shouted out:
"Hands up who is voting Conservative!" and not a single person put their hand up!!

Howard looked like a right fool....fantastic!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom